Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zincs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Zincs Reply with quote

Anyone with experience with Chrysler (especially 318's) please feel free to throw in your 2 cents. Are there zincs for the heat exchanger? I could swear that I read somewhere that there were pencil zincs that needed to be changed, but I may be losing my mind.
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yea it does! Look for a small plug low on the intake side! That said there are two schools of thought on the pencil zinc. One is to replace them every year. The other is to never use them in the first place!

Why?

Well as the pencil zincs are depleated the zinc flakes off and gets stuck in the cooling tubes of the heat exchnger. In my case the exchanger waas half plugged when I got the boat. I just replaced heat exchnger and never used pencil zincs in the new exchcnger, that was fifthteen years ago and it is still going strong.

It is up to you!

Mike - Rolling Eyes
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn, ditto what Mike said, putting them in has destroyed more exchangers than it has saved.
Now, I don't even know if the one you got from over due has one or not, it's a new one that I only bought a year before you got it from me, and I never even thought about it. I never had them in the old exchangers for the ten or so years that I ran her. So the option is yours, but if you have them in the places they are supposed to be then I think the exchanger one is over kill or a just in case type thing......Leo
Shafts, rudders,trim tabs, and in later years there's a large oval one on the outside transom tight between the trim tabs and it's bolted thru and tied into the copper ground strap. It's actually called a pacemaker Zinc, I never had them on my 72 but they are on the 74, 2 of them.
From what they look like right now after only one season , I need every bit of zinc that's there.
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will likely do without the zinc (one less thing to change every year). Honestly, I would probably forget about it anyway.

The Zincs on my boat were no existant by the time the boat was pulled. And I was out for a month in June-July while I changed over the engine.
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is good news!!! Wink The last thing you want is the zincs to come out brand new looking!

Mike - Rolling Eyes
leokow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn, if they were completely 100% gone, you had better check for any wear on the other parts, because you don't know how long ago they were gone and how long you were unprotected.. I think I would find a place to add some more so that you are at least protected all the time with something still under there to sacrifice, besides your underwater gear.
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't completely gone, but certainly correded a lot more than last year (plenty left to serve their purpose). I'm a little suspect of the old house boat in the adjacent slip.

Last edited by shawn_carlson on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check for extension cords hanging low also, my new zincs took a beating this year. When talking to the guys with boats in the slips around me, their zincs also took a beating. One guy said that he noticed that the live aboard boat had run an extension cord under the dock to a power outlet on the other side of the dock so that no one would trip. it seems that when the tide came up, the slack he had in the wire caused it to hang in the water. Nothing like a little 110 volt wire in the water to eat up zincs!
leokow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you 're right Shawn, that house boat next to you would be the prime suspect. You can pick up one of those fish shaped fish and hang it over the side whenever you're docked to add some extra protection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Mechanical All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: