Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fishing Regulations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leokow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, just got an e mail from a friend of mine with the new interim fluke regs. for 2008.
I didn't miss by much, the new regs. are 4 fish at 18 1/2 inches, but no closed season. These regs will stand until the full commission gets together in Jan. 08.
Also , our good friend Dr. Hogarth announced his retirement as of the end of this year. I know I diasgreed with him on a lot of things but at least I always new where he stood. God only knows what his replacement will be like. I really didn't mind the tighter regs, what bothered me tremendously was the the commercials could catch thousands of pounds without any type of hard restrictions but we were only to allowed 8 fish----that's ridiculous.
Also the by catch rule for them was just criminal. They would catch anywhere from 2 to 3 thousand pounds of fluke bycatch but they were only permitted to keep 100 lbs. so they would pick out the largest ones to get their 100 lbs. and the rest would get shoveled over the side dead and they didn't count, as if those fish never even existed, also their limit of keepers began at 14 inches !! How's that for equitable distribution !!
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope for the best.

John
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: By Catch Reply with quote

I to never understood the by catch rules - seems one sided to me. However, the commercial fishiers are trying to make a living at it! I was over in MV one weekend a year or so ago and one of the commercial boats went out and dragged the bottom. When he came back about 3 hours later and I saw the catch it amounted to four fish. You looked at the boat and 5 crew then the catch you just had to feel bad for them. How they do this day in and day out is beyond me! It just does not add up!

Someone has to come up with a better way! Of course, as you say, what about all the by-catch that was destroyed for four fish!

What is the answer?

Mike - Evil or Very Mad
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aginst the commercial guys at all, as a matter of fact I wish I could have been one. It's the way the rules are being applied that has my dander up.
When I lived in Florida I used to watch the shrimp boats go out , if you want to get sick you should see that operation, There is a trail of juvenile fish of every type floating dead behind the boat that's at least 100 yards wide and a mile or so long. I talked to one of the Captains one day and he told me that for every pound of shrimp they caught they dumped 100 lbs. of dead fish.
There was an article in the Fisherman magazine a few months ago that highlited a couple of the drag boats as they did their handiwork. One boat had 3 drags that resulted in almost 4000 lbs. of fluke of all sizes being shoveled over the side, all of this waste in the pursuit of scallops.
I'm for letting them keep the fluke and let it all count against their quota, and when they've reached it , then they have to stop fishing , just like us.
Dumping thousands of pounds of fluke over the side and pretending they didn't exist leaves a lot to be desired in the management of a fisheries stock that's supposed to be in trouble !!
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Leo, keep the fish, you can make money off them just as easily as with scallops or shrimp. maybe not as much, but if you have killed them might as well save and sell them and use the other money to support fish management areas
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not against the commercial guys either. The problem is the rules and the waste. There has to be a better way for the commercial fisherman to harvest their catch. Maybe let them keep all the by catch instead of shoveling the dead fish overboard and count it toward their overall catch. Let each boat have an overall quota. The problem is enforcement.

John
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets get this subject of fishing regulations, views and solutions under a new topic.

John
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Said -
Quote:
Under the November report we started a discussion on fluke fishing regulations, recreational and commercial fishermen. Lets hear your views on it and any solutions you might have. My stand is that the commercial guys have to make a living and we all know that operationg and maintaining a boat is not cheap. The problems in my opinion are 1. OVERFISHING, 2. BY CATCH WASTE, 3. ENFORCEMENT. This does not exclude the recreational fisherman. I went fishing with a guy ONCE, who cut the bellies off short fluke and used them for bait and threw the 1/2 filleted fish back in the drink. I let him know how I felt and we never went out again. Post your feelings on all fishing regulations and voice your opinions and maybe we can come up with some solutions.

John

Mike -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: