Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winterizing for wet storage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Winterizing for wet storage Reply with quote

Since I have always pulled my boat for the winter I don't have a clue as to what needs to be done to winterize a boat that will be kept in the water all winter. I know heaters are used in the engine compartment but thats about it.
How about it all you guys who keep their boats in the water in cold areas, How do you prepare your boat for wet storage?
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI TERRY, I left overdue in the water last winter and winterized all the systems same as you would on land. Plus I used a bubbler ice breaker under the boat to keep it from getting ice damaged. The only problem I ran into is when rain or snow melt ran down into the bilge the pump would pump all the anti freeze I put in there out and if I didn't replace it right away the water left in the bilge and the pump would freeze, damaging the pump. To correct this after it happened to me the first time I replaced the pump , replaced the anti freeze in the bilge and then took duct tape and sealed all the hatch seams in the cockpit where storm water could get down into the bilge,that way it would all run out the scuppers in the rear.
You will also have to seal off your pole holders, as they drain into the bilge too. Once the danger of freezing was over ,I pulled the tape and cleaned off the residue with adhesive remover then started her up and de-winterized everything, she got thru with no problems at all. I wouldn't try it without the bubbler though, if we happen to get a real good cold spell and the water freezes real thick,there's no telling what will happen to the hull. Of course if you have a full cover for the boat you can eliminate the seam taping and just put antifreeze in the bilge to keep the residual water from freezing, don't forget to run some thru the bilge pump. I left my batteries hooked up and everything else pretty much intact....Leo
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant use wet storage this year since we are going to dredge the river. I was thinking about the warm weather we had last year and the idea of having the boat in the water would allow me to make a winter fishing trip if there is another 60 degree day in Jan. like last year. I have the flushers installed in my raw water side so flushing anti-freeze through shouldnt be a problem. Trying to way the pros and cons of wet Vs dry storage. I wont be able to go in as early next year since I am buried behind several rows of boats.
So is the benefits of staying wet all year worth the extra work?
We have several divers who clean the bottoms of the boats while they are in the water, which to me was the biggest problem. bubblers are owned by my club and installed between the fingers every winter when boats are left in. electric meters are put on every boat and the owner gets billed for the electric. Anybody out there who lives aboard their boat in a northern climate have some more info?
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the fact that the boat was actually in the water during all the winter storms and the bilge pump freezing problem that I mentioned, I was just a little more anxious about the whole thing.
Plus you have to get under the boat to replace the zincs on the rudders and shafts in the spring. Our marina has a program where for a fee they will take the boat out and block it up for two weeks so that you can take care of all the bottom stuff, then they put it back in, for my boat it's about $250. that's still a lot cheaper than full winter storage on land.
I know we have had some mild winters lately , but I keeep thinking what if we get one like '96 where the snow is 3 ft. deep and it stays below freezing for two weeks straight ? I guess I just don't trust global warming yet !!
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the zincs and making sure the water inlets dont get plugged are 2 of the areas I was concerned about. I know people live aboard their boat all year and want to see what they have to sy. So far not too many members seem interested in responding Sad
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

I never kept a boat in the water year round. I would like to learn more, because you never know. I just keep thiking about the nasty Noreasterns and some huge snow falls and I think the worst.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think about them too, but my marina is pretty well protected. There is a mud flat that breaks the big waves long before they get to the river. The heavy snow and wind are what I want to find out about. The thought of being able to take the boat out during the spring thaw in January (seems like thats when its been hitting the last few years) to see what kinds of fish I can catch are calling me like a bug to a bug light!! Are the risks worth the extra fishing time?
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at it this way, If something bad happens to the boat (I don't even want to mention any) it would be one expensive fish. I know of one guy who has a 22' Shamrock center console that is enclosed and has a hot water heater. He trailers it and keeps it in a heated garage. When he had the house built the garage was designed just for the boat, his truck and car. Good Planning. I wasn't that smart.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the water goes below 40 there aren't many fish of anykind around. The guys down here that go ice fishing are usually trying for perch, thats the only type of fish that seems to like that cold water, until the stripers start again in spring. It was nice when we had a cod, pollack, and ling fishery that made it worthwhile to go out in the winter but sadly they seem to have gone the way of some of our other fish that used to be so abundant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: