Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OCTOBER UPDATE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: OCTOBER UPDATE Reply with quote

The first week in October is here and the fishing reports from friends and neighbors point to a great fall for Barnegat Bay. One consistent report is the BIG FLUKE that are being caught. Not only in Barnegat, but north in the Raritan Bay area also. Too bad they must be released. Barnegat is loaded with Blues, Fluke, Weakfish and Blowfish. All my retired friends are having a blast and the Striper run is just getting in gear. I figure that the Weakfish might just hang in the Bay for a couple more weeks. Tomorrow, most of my neighbors are going out. I have to work again, but I will be out Sunday.

Tight Lines,

John
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son and I left at 5:30 this morning. Limited out on weakfish to 21". (we don't keep them under 18') All the bluefish we wanted. The weakfish may be ready to be leaving and this may have been our last shot. The best performing bait today was pink finese. We were back by 10 am. This has been a crazy year and we also had a few good size fluke. Where were they when we could keep them? Looking back in my old fishing logs, we always had the bigger fluke in September / early October. It seems that Columbus Day we always had a big fluke or so in the catch.

Tight Lines,

John
leokow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, I talked to some guys on a dive boat yesterday and they said that at the three reefs they went too the bottom was covered with big fluke, All summer north and south of Little Egg the fluke fishing seemed to be great now it's our turn and they have to be released. It really wouldn't bother me too much if they had cut off the season for the commercial guys too, they catch more by accident than we do on purpose.It's kind of hard to justify cutting off the recreational guys and leaving the commercials alone and with a 14 inch limit to boot, it sure seems like they are trying to pit us against each other so we can't unite and fight them on their ridiculous numbers. I've been under the weather lately,but I'm hoping to get out next weekend if everything goes well. good luck on your next trip....Leo
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

Sorry to hear about you being under the weather. There was no fishing for me this weekend. I had to work Saturday and Sunday my wife wanted to go to the harvest festival in Allentown, N.J. She doesn't ask for much and afterwards we head towards RT130, where I drop her off at Michael's Crafts and my son (amazing he still goes with us) and I hit Harry's and the Sportsman, pick her up and have dinner at Mastoris. This has been a "tradition" for a few years. One of my neighbors went out and I have not seen him with a report yet. I agree with you about the fluke fishing. Every outdoor writer echos our feelings. The only bright side is that our politicians on the State and Federal level are aware of this and "seem sympathetic" to our situation. I wish you speedy recovery and next season we get together for some great fishing. Between working Saturdays and commitments on Sundays my fishing trips are limited.

John
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

Good to see you back on the board. I heard that they were catching some big blues just outside the inlet along with the occasional striper. Hopefully they'll stick around for the weekend. All the best and a speedy recovery.

Shawn
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Leo, I wondered where you were. Sorry to hear you were down and out. Hope everything is ok now. You gonna be alright with getting your boat winterized? If you need anything just give me a holler and I'll see what I can do.
I hear reports of good fishing here but I stuck fishing off the dock Sad
Lots of bait fish still in the river, cant seem to catch whats feeding on em tho.
I got my boat winterized except for the cover, hope that will be later this week
Terry
leokow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear from all of you guys, thanks for the concerns and since this is supposed to be fishing posts I'll try to keep it to that, hopefully this new medication will straighten me out, it's going to take a little time though. I should be ok with getting things done with the boat for the winter, maybe I should just get into it and head for the Bahamas.LOL.
There has been a whole slew of weakies and croakers down off of wreck inlet for the past couple of weeks, then as evening gets near the big blues come in and eat everything, I had about a 1/2 dozen weakies cut in two on the way up so I stopped fishing and headed back in, since then the weather hasn't been so good and I'm hoping to get back out on Sunday , I hope. Shawn , if you think about going you'll need to be in water between 25 and 30 ft.deep about a mile or so off the beach.
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

I got home from work about an hour ago and the wind was still blowing. I just went out and the wind was calm. With any luck it won't be blowing too hard in the morning. I plan on leaving around 5:30 / 6:00 and I am taking the 18'. I will let you know how we make out.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to go out and finally catch some tuna!!!. Left Branford CT with 5 other guys in a 40 ft Viking. We went out 100 miles off Long Island to the canyon and fished all day. Caught 1 fish, 350 pound bluefin, took about 40 minutes to land it. As night came on it was as if someone flipped a switch, fish all over the place, didnt get a wink of sleep. Never have my arms been so tired. Tried to drink a cup of coffee and my arms were shaking. Nice trip, 10 hours out, 10 hours back. cost $450 per man for fuel, bait and food (yes more than beer) all in all, I didnt get as much fresh Tuna as I expected but it was a whole new experience. One thing about the Viking, it was a nice boat, flybridge was high off the water so it was easy to spot for fish, but only room for 2 guys to fish at a time
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

Sounds like you had a great trip. I have not been fishing for tuna for a number of years. I know what you mean about not much fishing room. In the morning, my son and I will "just have to settle" for what Barnegat Bay will offer and depending on the wind what inshore will yield. We enjoy just going out.

John
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday Oct. 21: Left at 5:45. Headed toward the inlet. Fished Meyers Hole for a while. Picked up a few weakfish at dawn. It started crowding up at Meyers Hole. We moved around searching for fish concentrations. Picked up a mix bag of weakfish and blues. Nothing to brag about but we had a lot of action and FUN. My neighbor went outside trolling for bass. He came up with a bonita and a skate. He said that he saw me at Meyers on the way out and he was tempted to stop. He said that everyone was complaining about no bass. Back home at 9:50.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I don't think we are going to see any bass until mid Dec., the water temp is still in the mid to lo 60's all along the beach and out to the reefs. I think the only bass that are being caught are the ones that stay around here all the time. I've been trying to hold off winterizing the boat thinking that I'd be able to squeeze in a few trips to the inlet but I think all I'm going to accomplish is winterizing with ice cubes hanging off my nose.
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

I agree with you about the water temps and bass. This is the longest that the weakfish have been in the Bay. I am afraid that we are going to get caught with a cold snap and like you said that we will be winterizing with ice cubes hanging from our noses. I may winterize both boats on Election Day or Veteran's Day. The way the work load is going I may not get a chance later on.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm agreeing with you ,John, I think the next half decent day I'm going to wrap things up try to put her away for the winter. Every time I try to outguess mother nature , I end up losing,so I guess fishing will just have to wait until next year,this hasn't been a great year for me anyway.I suppose I should be thankful to have just gotten thru it, and I am.
Maybe next season we'll both have a little more time and be able to get out a couple of times, I hope. Hope you have a good weekend...Leo
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

My wife brought up the subject of winterizing the boats at dinner. She said to go out one more time but not tomorrow because she wants me to help her set up at a "CRAFT FAIR". I am going to shoot for 1 or 2 more trips with the 18' and winterize the Wahoo. First I have to trim a few trees to put it where I want to. Leo I think 2008 is going to not only be a great fishing year but a great year for everyone's health. I am planning on taking my vacation time every other week off during the summer like I normally do. If the fishing is better up here, come on up and we will go out. If it is better down your way you will see me down. My 18 trailers very easy. The best of luck with everything.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ,John, and I sure hope you are right about 2008. I'm sick of being sick and 6 trips for this season really stinks, I usually do that many in a week. Get that chain saw going , boy, git' er done !
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

My son and I had my wife set up at the craft fair and we were back home by 9:00. Two of my neighbors gave me a hand trimming the trees and we trimmed their trees also. We trimmed 6 tall oaks in my front, 4 at my neighbor's next door and 3 at my neighbor's across the street. We started around 10 and finished around 1 and that included lunch and clean up. I then cut my front lawn and picked up the leaves and and a few other odds and ends and we were done around 2. It pays to have great neighbors ( we always help each other and we can hustle ) and an old John Deere garden tractor with a Cyclone Rake. We cleaned up and we were back at the craft fair by 2:30 to help my wife pack up for 3:00. The only thing that I can't figure out is that why am I the guy always up in the tree cutting the branches. We are planning on going out Sunday. The word is that they are still catching weakfish and croakers. If only the weather holds out. Will keep you posted.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weakfish are all over the place here, just have to find a way to get out to them since all of the boats are out of the water due to the dredging we will be doing. Guys with trailerable boats are finding out how many friends they have right now LOL
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wind is supposed to stop by Sunday. I am dropping my 18 in to hunt for them and if the weather holds, I will be out Tuesday also. That is why it is called Election Day. I elect to go out fishing before I vote.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Sat. morning and the wind is a blowin'like hell, I'm doing everykind of voodoo dance there is to get it to be gone by this afternoon so that hopefully the seas will flatten out a little for tomorrow, if so then I think I'm going to give it one last shot.
The guy at the bait shop told me he only weighed in 7 fish for the day yesterday, they postponed a tournament from last saturday till today because of warm water and no bass(good reason, huh ?)Now they have 8ft. seas to deal with.
Good luck to everyone that goes out this weekend if you can....Leo
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

When I got up this morning the tops of the oak trees were doing the "Looks Like YOU Are Not Going Out Fishing Dance". It seems to have slowed down now with a burst about every 30 seconds. None of my neighbors went out either. I guess that I will winterize the Wahoo today and hopefully I will get out on Tuesday with the 18'.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: