Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August Update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: August Update Reply with quote

Left at 5:30 am. Started hitting WEAKFISH from the start. The smallest was 16", the biggest was 23". Most were 17"/18". Kept 4, 21 to 23", relased the rest. Final score: 11 weakfish, 5 Blues, 0 Fluke. All were caught on 3/8 oz white bucktails tipped with squid. I wonder what can be for dinner tonight? I was high hook, my son caught the biggest. They stopped hitting arund 7:30am. We searched for more but we were back home by 9:00. Leo, any word about the Mullica?

John
leokow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say they're hitting in early morning and sunset, so last night me and a couple of neighbors went from 6:30 till 11PM . Dropped on the first fish immediately 10 inches, went an hour I got one 8 inches another hour and a 19 inch blue. END. All on Shedders, according to Chestnut nect that's all they are hitting. I think I'll go back to the ocean, at least it's cooler while I'm catching nothing.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumors are flying here about somone catching a 50lb stripper. Cant say that I saw it, just heard the talk. Cant wait to set the new engine in place. Tide tables say Aug. 11 is good for launching since high tide is before noon and its a saturday. Gives me plenty of time to get the new engine in and going so I can see for myself
Tight lines everyone
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left at 5:30am. Back at home at 8:00. Score: 1 sea robin, 8 weakfish 12" to 17". Our boat policy is not to keep any under 18" and just to keep what we are going to use. So to modify the quote from the "Soup Nazi" on Steinfield: "No Fish Today!" Tomorrow it is finish the electrical and mechanical on the Wahoo. Hopefully launch by next weekend. Terry, the stripers by us are around the corner. They are still catching a few. Hopefully this fall is the "Klondike Run" for us. Good luck with the engine. I just wish that I had the time right now to come up and give you a hand. Right now I am over my head with helping my wife with her business, family matters ( my mother, my youngest brother and my wife have health issues) and work are taking their toll on my time. I just prioritize and do what has to be done. Leo, give it a week or 2 and it will improve. It seems that all the species are running late. The only exception are the Bluefish. They never left, but they provide action when nothing else is there. Chestnut Neck is a great marina/tackle shop with a wealth of information for the area. The first time I went there and inquired about fishing the area, they could not be more helpful in explaining the Mullica on a chart and about the "cut throughs". They set me up on my first trip and I always give them my business.
John
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they are a good outfit , John..and those cut throughs save you a lot of time when you are trying to get to the right spots. You're right about the blues, we were out on little egg reef and a huge pod of very large blues came up right under our boat, they were chasing bunker at least 10 to 12 inches long, was a lot of fun for a while, then they sounded and that was it. I'm thinking of an overnighter sometime in the next few days, probably out at the 28 mile wreck, they 've been bringing in a lot of bonito .
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

I am off the last 2 weeks in August. If you are free, maybe we can get together. I have a couple of family matters to take care of, but almost everything is flexible.

John
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 12: Left at 5:30. Fished the incoming tide with my neighbor. Had a mixed bag of small croakers, kingfish, weakfish. Kept a 19 & a 20" weakfish. Boat rule no weakfish under 18". Back by 9:00. Leo, we have decided on a name for the Wahoo, " ABOUT TIME ". ABOUT TIME: it is done, it catches fish, my wife goes out with us, I have time to use it, and the list goes on.

Tight Lines, John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I knew you would come up with a good name for the boat. Congrats. Does that mean you will retire the other boat?
Terry
rebait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

I have owned the 18' since it was new. It is a great bay boat that I can get in places where the Wahoo drafts too much. Also I like to fish other areas and I can trailer it easy enough. I repowered it in 2003. I got 23 years of great performance on the original outboard with minimal repairs. I hope to keep it for a few more years.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John. on my way to Philly to get my med. pump refilled, and to get the results of the MRI'S . Hopefully I'll be back for the end of the weekend and I should know what's going on by then , lately it seems like I wake up to one suprise after the other, sooner or later things should start to brake a little my way, I'll drop you a line when I get back down here, hopefully we'll be able to get something together....Leo
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

Good luck with your health issues. I am planning on targeting weakfish tommorrow. I will post my results. Lets hear from everyone from all over the country. I am sure you have your favorite species and the the rest of us would like to hear how you did and what your favorite lure or bait is. I am sure that you are getting tired of hearing how "us guys" from Jersey or Conneticut are doing. Like I said before I am sure "youse guys" in other parts of the world, wether fresh, brackish or salt water are catching fish.

Tight Lines,

John
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fishing for me this past week and weekend. Because of the weather, my son and I took a mini vacation to Lancaster Penn. and vicinity. Saturday I helped my wife with maint. in her shop. Sunday, a local radio station had their "Day on the Bay". From past years we decided to wait to fish on Monday. The word is that the weakfish are hitting in the bay and there are big fluke outside.

John
rebait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday, August 27, Left at 6:00 am. Back home at 8:45. Fishing very slow. Score: 3 small Croakers on sandworms. Stopped catching them after 20 mins. 7 - 1 1/2 to 2 lb Bluefish jigging bucktails tipped w/ squid. This lasted about 15 mins. A long lull with no action. Boat traffic and wind picked up. Called it a morning. Decided to go home and install the new fuel seperator on the Wahoo. No fish for dinner.

Tight Lines,

John
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, sounds like my trip on Sunday. left at 8 AM, started at Little Egg Reef , boats looked like a WWII movie of D-Day, no place to fish !
Moved to the outer edges to get some space but no fish other than a 6 inch fluke, he must have really been hungry !
Moved up to the towers , no drift , no wind HOT<HOT<HOT and no fish.
Ran in toward 30 feet of water and tried power drifting got 3 nice size croakers and another small fluke throwback,then we ran into the biggest pod of bunker that I have ever seen! It must have at least a half mile square, I snagged about a 1/2 dozen of them , all over a pound each, and tried dropping them down for the large blues or the sharks that had been around last week, but nothing. Spent all day out there and came home with crab bait !
That accident happened while we were out there where the 34 footer ran over a guy drifting in the intercoastal with a 19 ft. boat, the poor guy didn't have a chance.He left the house to get a couple of fluke and by 12:30 he was gone,I'll bet he never thought this would be his last trip , he was only 54 years old too. Somethings got to be done about the speed thru the ICW when it's as crowded as it gets on nice weekends, there were hundreds of witnesses and a sea tow operator was on the scene at the time.We pased by a few hours after it happened, this is 4 weeks in a row that there's been trouble in Little Egg inlet and the 2nd guy killed, last week that guy fell off his boat and it ran over him, before that the 59 footer grounded and broke apart on the bar in the middle of the entrance and right after that another guy flipped his boat over and he had to be rescued, and everyone wants to know why I don't want to fish the bay anymore ! On the weekends it's like trying to walk across a race track while the race is on. Talk to you later..Leo
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday, Aug. 28: Left at 5:30. Fishing started slow. My son caught a sea robin. Then a lull of 30min. We were invaded by 2 to 3lb Blues. Bigger than yesterday. We then started catching weakfish along with the blues. Nothing to brag about with the weakies. They were 16 / 17" fish. Boat rules: none under 18" unless gut hooked. All were released. No fish for dinner. My wife said Pisces Seafood Restaurant would have been cheaper and they do all the cooking. I guess we are going there for dinner. Leo, I hope that you are feeling better. I know what you mean about fishing on the weekends. I shy away from fishing in the fog because of a few close calls. I know one of the guys that almost hit me, ( doing about 40 mph out of the channel heading for the flats ). He stopped, apologized, and said that he was drawn to my lights as a moth to the fire and even with his gps he thought he was in the channel and I was a navigational light. I normally fish early morning. When the crowd starts heading out, I am back at the dock. John
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday, Aug. 30: Left at 5:30. Had a slow start. Searched for fish. 3 stops later, really on our way to another stop, we saw birds working. We found a large school of bluefish chasing bait. At that point there was one other boat working the birds. Eventually we had approx. 30 boats working the area. (It was huge). Surprisingly everyone respected each other and made it enjoyable and fun fishing this frenzy. The best part of this was that under the bluefish there were weakfish. My son was throwing metal and was pulling in and releasing the bluefish one after another. I threw a jighead with a Finese and came up with a weakfish on the aprrox. sixth fish. The bluefish frenzy lasted for about 45mins. Yes a really long time. The weakfish stay around for another 1/2 hour. We moved and again hit bluefish and weakfish. The Bluefish were 2 to 3# and the weakfish were 16 to 21". We kept 4 for dinner. Arrived back at 10:30. This is the best day we had all season.

Tight Lines, John
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday, Aug. 31: Left at 5:30. First stop, first drift: 0. Second drift a couple of 2# bluefish. Third drift: 1 Bluefish, 3 Weakfish. We had a lull in the action so we decided to move to where we fished yesterday. The weakfish and bluefish started chasing bait fish and the feed bag was on. We lost count on the number, but the weakfish were only 14" to 16". Smaller than yesterday. All fish were released. I went through 5 packages of Finese not including what my son used. We actually left as the fish were still biting. About Time we started catching them in good numbers. All the weakfish were legal keepers. Now to work on the size. We were back home at 10:00. Everyone have a happy and safe Labor Day Weekend.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, had a tuna trip planned for this weekend but the winds look like the're going to be against me, I'll listen again tonite and see if things changed.
I'm selling thr 18' seaswirl and a guy is supposed to come look at it tonite so I put it in the water and we'll see what happens. Naturally it needed some work, water pump,thermostats,and controls. Shame it only has 300 hrs. on it and we bought it new in 96'
I don't like the idea of selling something that isn't right so I had the work done,as you have to remove the power head to get at the thermostats.
All is well with the little guy now but everyone is telling me to sell the 30 footer and keep the 18. It's really getting expensive to operate that big boat but I like it and I feel a lot safer on it than the little one.
I'll let you know if we get out this weekend. The neighbor across the lagoon went out yesterday and came back with 8 nice fluke some croakers and some nice sea bass and he was alone, said he didn't know I was back from Philly or he would have grabbed me, oh well, at least someone had a good trip. He was fishing the same place I was on Sunday afternoon,up off the red tower.
Have a great weekend....Leo
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

If the guy doesn't buy the 18' and if it is possible, keep it and use it in the bay or the Mullica. When going outside or if you have a few people you want to take out, use the 30'. Your fuel costs will be down, you can get into skinny water with the small boat that you can't get into with the big one and it is easier to manuver into tighter areas with the small boat. My wife was after me to sell one of the boats. She kept telling me that when the Wahoo was done, put a for sale sign on one of them. Now it is why don't you wait untill the Spring. The trick is to make sure that you use both boats and justify their use. Sounds as if I am at work. The weather forecast keeps changing. I don't know if I will make it out Saturday morning.

Good Luck,
John
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never have too many boats. However, now that my 28' is up and running my 18' center console is just sitting. Its for sale, but I'm sure the first time I have a problem with my Pace I'll be missing the extra boat. Its' always nice to have a backup.
rebait

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

If the 18 does not cost you too much to keep, why not keep it. My 18 sips fuel and maintenance is minimal. Use it like I use mine. Nothing like having a spare.

Back to the fishing reports. I did not go out Saturday, Sunday or Monday. My neighbor across the street went out Monday for fluke and came home with 1 keeper. Everyone else I know decided to not to fish during the Holiday Weekend.

John
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was nice to have, but the additional cost for the extra slip, plus the cost of the repairs over the last year make it not worth the effort. I just don't use it enough to justify the extra cost.

Besides, one less boat means more money to spend on my Pacemaker.

As for fishing, I'm holding out for Fall Stripers. Good luck.

Shawn
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

The stripers is what I am getting the Wahoo ready for. A couple of more trips and the 18' is put away. I keep my cost down on the 18' by trailering and it keeps me mobile. Since I rewired and repowered the 18' in 2003, it has been very economic to run and maintain.

Tight Lines,

John
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had the 18 since 96' when it was new and I just don't use it enough
to justify keeping it,and I hate to see it go bad just from sitting around. The steering is already getting stiffer from not using it enough and it's not the cables or the rack the marina says it's the old grease in the engine itself and it's from non use. I can trailer it if I have to but with a slip behind the house it doesn't make sense to me.
As you said before,back to fishing, we did go out last sunday to the 28 mile wreck, Ac ridge and the lobster pots, we picked up 2 false albacore right at the beginning then nothing for the rest of the day, the only excitement was seeing a huge marlin come out of the water in front of us chasing something down, it could've at least waited untill our spread passed it by and maybe showed a little interest in it, but it was nice to see anyway. Of course while I was tuna fishing all of my buddies were fluke fishing and they killed them on the AC reef,just a dozen miles from where I was, seems like I've got my days backwards,well 3 more days and this fluke season will be history, one thing , I've never seen a season where so many large fluke have been caught, my fear is we'll be so far over the tonnage limit that we'll have to pay dearly next year.
Some other friends of mine went out to the Lindenkohl and chunked overnite,7 of them on the boat and they came back with 26 yellow fins between 60 and 80 lbs,plus a dozen Mahi, a little overkill , I think , they couldn't even give enough of them away at the dock when they were finished getting their own.
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

I agree with you on never seeing so many big fluke. Four guys that I work with went out in Raritan Bay over the weekend and they limited out on big fluke. They caught them all on peanut bunker that they netted in Cheesequake Creek. Best catch that they had in years if not ever. The powers to be will claim that we went over our tonnage and drastically cut us back next season.

Tight lines,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: