Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to transfer fuel between port and starboard tanks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OurAdventure
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: How to transfer fuel between port and starboard tanks Reply with quote

Hello All,

Does anyone know of an easy setup
to transfer fuel (gas) between tanks.

Currently it does not appear my starboard
engine is drawing fuel from my port tank,
when only the starboard engine is running.

Thanks Guys
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know about transfering fuel, but with a couple of shut off valves and T-connectors you can set it up so that the engine can draw fuel from either tank. Install one t-connector between the 2 water filters and then the other to the 2 fuel lines running to each engine. Now install the shut offs one on each water filter. When you want to run the engines on one tank, close the shut off for the other tank and the fuel pumps will draw from the one tank. One word of caution, with both engines running a 3/8 fuel line might not supply enough fuel when at WOT and the engines will starve for gas.
OurAdventure
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: it appears Reply with quote

it appears that is the way it is setup...
however (call me dumb, its ok) the
fuel does not appear to be being
drawn from the other tank.

The 2nd reason I'd like to be able to
hit a switch to transfer some fuel, is
to equal weight between port and starboard.

With the "t's" I'd think I should see a drop
in the port tank... but I don't.

Today, I'll look at running the startboard
tank dry to see if the maybe the starboard
fuel pump is or isn't strong enough to pull
to fuel from the port tank.

I just hate to run it dry.
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and don't run the tank dry, you don't want to pick up whatever is on the bottom of the tank and clog up your filters.
The engines wont automatically draw fuel from the opposite tank when one is dry , the reason is because they are vented to the outside and it will suck air instead of fuel which is heavier. You must shut one tank off and open the valve to the other tank , now if you are doing that and don't think it's working then check to see if something is clogged. If it's set up the way terry described then it should work fine. I was able to feed either engine from either tank or both engines from one tank, but like he said at wot a 3/8 line may not provide enough fuel to let both run all out.
Now if you want to set up a transfer system then you will need a fuel transfer pump and have to plumb it into your system so that you can transfer the fuel from one tank to the other.
I am in the process of setting up such a system in my boat but the reason is it has 5 tanks and the valve system that the former owner had, leaves a lot to be desired. Also a cheap pump wont work very well , I tried an all purpose electric pump and it took 2 minutes to pump 1 gal. of gas. So now I purchased a hi speed electric pump that is self cooling and I'm only interested in pumping from my forward 48 to the saddle tanks as I use gas during trips out far.
You really shouldn't need a transfer pump just to run 2 engines from 2 tanks, the valve system works very well , unless it's connected incorrectly or somethings clogged. Make sure the lines are on your water separators are corresponding to the arrows for input and output as they are suppossed to be.
Also if both engines run properly then the fuel pumps are ok on each individual engine and they are more than capable of drawing from the opposite tank.if the valving is set up correctly.
OurAdventure
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Pumping Reply with quote

It looks like I have the same setup
as yours, that needs to be changed.

Please let me know what you used and how you were
able to do it, as I will be wanting the same.

Also, during transfer will you be running the
fuel through a cleaner?

Thanks Jim
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transferring fuel between tanks has some ever special Coast Guard Rules. For the most part it is very expensive to do! Best way is to install crossover valves so you can draw from either tank!

Mike - Rolling Eyes
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike on transfering fuel. I prefer to leave both tank valves open this way the tanks drain at or near the same rate and the weight is ditributed the same. For some reason the Wahoo draws more from the port side. Not much about a gallon or 2 for the day. John
OurAdventure
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there may be a lot
of things I'll need to change,
over time.

I'm seeing all valves open...
there appears to be a cross-over
line, but I think I need to take
a closer look today.

If I'm wrong (often am) and it
is not a cross-over than that
would explain why when running
only the startboard engine, it
doesn't draw from the port tank.
leokow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I answered your post I have thought better of using a transfer pump mto move gas from one of the five tanks in my boat. As Mike said there are some rules about doing that and the transfer pumps are quite expensive, the one that I priced was $250 just for the pump ,no fittings no valves, but it is a marine fuel transfer pump. I decided to re design the mess that was under there and now with the turn of a couple of valves and no pumps I can supply both engines with approximately the same amount of gas, but I did not go with the option of being able to feed either engine from opposite tanks. I have a 57 and a 48 feeding the port engine and a 57 and 2 -28's feeding the starboard engine, there's only an 8 gallon difference in supply equality but if I ever get to where 8 gals. is going to make a difference then I deserve to get into trouble.
It was just a matter of setting up a valve on each side of a fuel/water separator and selecting which tank I wanted to feed the particular engine, also most of the time for inshore fishing I will only be using one set of tanks at a time , theres no sense carrying around all that extra weight if your not going offshore to use it. Bottom line is , if you can possibly get away with not using any type of auxiliary pump you are better off, the engine fuel pumps are more than capable of drawing fuel from just about anywhere on the boat.
Are you sure that you are setting the valving system up the correct way to feed the engines? It would help if you made some type of drawing as to what the set up looks like , it would be easier to help you out.
I'm going to say this , presuming you already know it ,but just in case you don't. The valves you have should be near a fuel separatotr or filter of some type, the canister will have an arrow on top showing the direction of the fuel flow, into the filter or out to the engine, also the valves should have a pointer on the end of the handle or if not when the handle is in line with the fuel line it's connected too , it's open and feeding fuel into the filter, when the handle is at 90 degrees or across the line then that line should be off. With just two tanks you shouldn't have any reason to transfer fuel just to get your engines to run normally.
Check the position of the valves, and see what happens, if one engine is still starving the something is either connected wrong or something is blocked. It is best to draw from each tank separately, if for no other reason than to keep the boat in trim, gas weighs almost 7lbs per gal. and having 50 gals on one side and not the other is putting nearly 350 lbs.on one side of the boat and nothing on the other, it's a little tough going thru the water tilted to one side...Let us know how you make out...Leo
OurAdventure
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Leo...

This boat is used for full time crusing, that is
why I need the fuel. It will do 24 knots with
both 350's running... $$$$

So we want to run about 6-8 knots off of
just one engine for the most part, there in
is the reason for drawing fuel from all (3)
tanks.

I've got one of the top engine mec. here
(Key Largo) coming out in the few days
to review, change, and tune the engine
and system... so I'll let you know how it goes.

Jim
OurAdventure
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: all good Reply with quote

I had the engine mech. out yesterday...

Turns out the seal on the fuel fill had gone
bad and allowed to much water into the tank.

And as far as the cross-over line...

I just didn't understand how to use it, as I've
always had a sailboat with only 1 tank.

I want to thank EVERYONE for all of your
input...

Jim
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Glad to help. Was the seal the "O" ring on the fill cap? They get overlooked a lot.

John
OurAdventure
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both..

There were no "o" rings on the cap itself
and the one on the fill tube was shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Plumbing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: