Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transmission

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Transmission Reply with quote

I am in the middle of swapping the starboard engine (Chrysler 318) on my 1972 28' pacemaker. I had hired a mechanic to do the work, but I wanted to get things finished asap, so I took care of disconnecting everything and have started to change over some parts (He pulled the engine). The only piece that I have left is the transmission. Just want to be certain that I am not misssing anything. It looks like there are 6 bolts that connects the tranny to the engine (which have all been loosened). Am I missing anything?
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget to grab the flex plate and flywheel when you pull the tranny off of the old engine. Even if you got them from Leo's old boat, they are good to have as spares
Terry
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, thanks. Is there anything else I should be looking to disconnect? I want to be certain before I start cursing and pulling. Wouldn't be the first time I wasted hours banging my head against the wall only to realize I forgot to discoonect something.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my trannys bolt to the bell housing, which is bolted to the block with the starter mounted on top of the bell housing. There is a metal plate, which also bolts to the bell housing behind the flywheel (towards the front of the engine) which covers the bottom part of the flywheel and keeps it from getting messed up from anything in the bilge. The tranny has 2 oil cooler lines, the shift cable and the 2 purple wires for the tranny alarms. When you unhook the 2 wires, starter, and shift linkage, the only things left are the 2 mounts and the 4 bolts on the shaft flange. The tranny should slide back off of the flex plate which is bolted to the flywheel (at least on my GM engines).
I had a heck of a time getting the 2 bolts out which mount the tranny mounts to the tranny. There wasnt a lot of room to get in there with a wrench. I ended up backing out the lag screws that goes through the mounts into the stringer and then bolting the mounts onto the tranny while it was in the air on the lift. I put the tranny and engine into the boat in one piece since it was a lot easier than trying to bolt the back cover on with the engine sitting in place
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

Thanks. It sounds like I have everything. Fortunately the engine and tranny are laying on blocks. It makes it a lot easier to remove the bolts. Some of them were rusted, don't think I would have been able to get them loose inside the boat.
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn, you need to over to the auto store and buy a can of PB Blaster, it's a bolt and nut loosener and the best stuff I've ever used, it'll help you a lot....Leo
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used half a can over the weekend, works great.
rebait

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

I changed all my parts, including the trans, to my new engine this past Sunday. I find it easier to unbolt the flexplate from the flywheel with the trans in place and remove the trans and flexplate together. Access is easy through top inspection/access hole on the upper part of the trans. Mine has a rubber cover. Use the crankshaft pulley bolt to rotate the engine to access each bolt. I installed it with the flexplate on the trans input shaft using never seeze. After I aligned the bellhousing/trans pins I installed a couple of bolts from the trans to the bellhousing, rotated the engine to align the flywheel/flexplate bolts. As for the trans mount bolts, I removed mine from the stringer. Instead of lag bolts, my engine and trans bolts were 1/2" bolt and nutted. Of course they were all rusted. After some PB Blaster and a good 1/2" impact wrench the engine mounts came loose. The trans bolts were frozen in the rubber mounts. Good thing for me the bolts were grade 5 and I was able to snap them with the impact gun and remove the bolts from the mounts and stringers later after a good soaking. As I install the assembly on Sunday, I am using Grade 8 bolts and plenty of never seeze. Good luck, John
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transmission was changed over. 6 bolts piece of cake. Thanks for all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Mechanical All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: