Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

350 crusader. stalls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OurAdventure
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: 350 crusader. stalls Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've got fairly new (less then 300 hrs) 350 crusaders (265 hp).

The port engine starts up fine.

But 1) it will not stay running if under 700 rpms.
2) If I put it at say 1400 rpms, it will run for about 3-5 minutes then
the rpms start going up and down. down to 7-800, up to 15-1700
then will just drop below 600 rpms and die.

I can think of 2 things to look at, but I'd really like to hear what some of you say, because I'm disabled and the mec. I was going to use won't be around until july, so looks like I'll have to find another one.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a spray bottle filled with water and spray a fine mist of water around the hoses, carb base, etc. Sounds like it might be a vacuum leak somewhere. if you hear the engine pick up speed when you're spraying the water, then you found the leak. If not the coil would be another thing to try, swap it with the stbd one and see if the problem moves to the stbd engine. If it does, then you found the problem
OurAdventure
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that sounds like 2 easy things for me to do tomorrow. The port engine does show a different vac. at the same rpms as the star.

And it wasn't the 2 I was thinking of so that a REALLY good thing.

THANKS
leokow

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry's ideas are good ones and easy to do, so keep them in mind, but my money would go to a fuel problem.
Pull the fuel separator and dump it into a jar that you can see thru and see what you have in there. If you have two layers then there's some water in your fuel, if it's nice and clear you can eliminate fuel as a problem from the separator back to the tank.
If the separator has not been changed then put a new one on , next look for an in line filter between the separator and the carb. this could be partially clogged and also causing what you described.
The fuel could be getting forced thru in pulses instead of smooth pressure and making the engine surge and sputter.
Between the engine suction and the fuel pump pushing fuel into the carb you get the ups and downs. What happens when you put it in gear and try to go under power, does it just drop out or can you overcome instability and get moving ?
Also as Terry mentioned it could be a vacuum leak. So look at all the hoses for loose connections , also check the base of the carb for loose bolts or nuts whichever you may have.
Don't forget to get back to us and let us know what's happening....Leo
OurAdventure
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both ideas...

but being here on jew fish creek, i won't be able to look at your's or terry's until monday. trying to work on a boat here on the weekend is taking your life into a place i don't want to go.

i was thinking it may have been either the fuel pump or the carb.

i ran the boat down from lebell florida at 21 kts and had no problem.
the problem only started in the past few weeks.

monday i'll do both what you said and what terry said and let you know what happened.

many MANY thanks.

jim
leokow

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you just ran the boat recently on a trip and she ran fine , even further puts me in the fuel problem department. Vacuum leaks normally develop after a long sitting spell or a recent repair, except for hose problems, I think you'll find either the fuel itself or some thing associated with it as causing your troubles. Good luck...Leo
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well well well, more info!!! Yep, I agree with Leo, check your fuel. You can also unhook the line going into the carb, put the end into a glass jar and crank the engine. See what the fuel looks like and whether it comes out with pressure or just barely comes out.
leokow

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Terry says will work fine, the fuel will come out in several spurts into the jar,however this fuel will be clean from the top of the separator, or at least should be clean, the water or whatever contaminant is in it will be on the bottom of the separator that's why you need to empty the contents of the separator into a jar so you can see what's being filtered out.
Once you demand more power from the engine , the fuel level drops in the separator and starts to draw in some of the contaminant ,that's what gives you the stutter.

We just had 3 more boats at the marina having the same problems today, they got launched , drove a little ways out into the bay and bingo, had to crawl back in, they all said the same thing , everytime they tried to get up on plane the engine started coughing. I'm anxious to see what kind of problems they find tomorrow.
OurAdventure
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I replaced the 3 main "in-line" fuel filters, one for each tank. The engines are running real good. Next month, after running the engines for 20 to 30 hours, I'll again replace those filters and will also change out the filters at the carbs.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Next big project is building an aft deck off the fly bridge. maybe in the next 30 to 60 days.
leokow

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy to hear that everythings running fine now. I hope all of you troubles are so easily corrected. Hope you have a great weekend.....Leo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: