Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The little crew member's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: The little crew member's Reply with quote

Not sure if I've asked this already.
We have two furry crew member's a lab rot mix and a small beagle. The Admiral has concern's on getting the big dog back on board from swimming.

Our transom is very high, tossing the beagle back on board from the swim platform is no problem,but the big dog is just that nearly 80lbs and arm's full of challenge. I was curious if any one else might have run across boarding a larger dog from the water or swim platform.

I have thought of cutting in a through transom door for easier access for us to the swim platform, but not having a degree in boat building engineering I'm hesitant to do it. This would solve my problem with the big dog and make life easier on us at the same time.

Just wondering if anyone else has had to tackle this.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a tough one. since the dog would still have to climb up onto the swim platform from the water to be able to go through any door you made for him. Can you rig a sling setup using the pole holders? or could you install a mount for one that would allow you to haul him up and over the side from the water with a sling? My buddy had a dog that loved to jump into his pool and go for a swim. The dog learned how to use the pool ladder to get in and out of the pool. Their pool ladder was the kind that went down at an angle. Maybe you could make a setup using the transom and the swim platform to make him a ramp from the water back into the boat?
Terry
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this problem but a buddy of mind did - What he came up with was a ramp - it is a piece of plywood that attaches to the transon and at the swin platform and into the water about 2 feet- It is covered in indoor outdoor carpeting and is hinged in two place to cover the width of the transom board and extands into the cockpit - The dog has learned to enter and exit the boat from the ramp - The dog is a Golden retriever about the size of yours. He goes swimming with the kids even dives off the swim platform. The carpet does the trick as it gives him something to grip - Added advantage it is used as a boarding board for him from the non-floating dock - It folds for easy storage in the cockpit gunwale -

Mike - Wink
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guy's,

That sounds like the way to go Mike. I can visualise what you have described.
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry his first model was pretty crud it was just a piece of 3/4 ply wood with some brass door hinges and attached to the swim platform with 1/4" rope.

The final one look like part of the boat. reenforced marine Plywood with fibeglass cloth and gel coat to match the hull, slots for hand holds, hidden solid stainless hinges, all stainless hardware, with a heavy stainless snap lock mechcanism on the swim platform. Looked allot like the davis dinghy holders you see on some boats - On the gunwale board he installed two flush mount 3/4" ensign holders that have two stainless poles about flag hieght and he flies little flags at the top - Actual use is to keep the gunwale board in place from sliding - He even designed a place to store it up under the gunwale in the cockpit that you didn't even notice it when it was not in use - Even uses it for a boarding ramp when they loading the boat up for the weekend, instead of jumping from the dock to the boat - You could see he put allot of thought into the design from the first model -

Mike - Wink
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinkin I'll fall between the two. The marine plywood is a must, but I dont think I'll be glassing it up. I'll use top coat deck paint numberous coat's with a good primer.

A stainless piano hinge set up will be what I go with. I have alot of that stuff around. The exterior carpet sound's like a winner too. The strut's to the swim platform will have to be a custom thing to I think.

Very interesting, thanx for the input guy's. The Admiral's just come up with a working drawing that I think I'll be following.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Terry, before you go out and buy the marine plywood, check out the starboard material. I used it around my windows when I replaced them. Its a plastic wood, so not rot to worry about, doesnt need to be painted and you can work it just like real wood.
Terry
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very limited expeirence with the composite stuff. I'm certain your are correct though Terry, this would be a great application for the stuff, which I think I'll persue.

thanx again
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty simple to do and it is a small project to break you in on and can be done in your basement or garage just along as the temperature is stable - The hardest part of the whole thing is cutting the 3/4 marine plywood and fabricating it to what you need - I suggest you make it up first and try the plywood on the boat to make sure it fits the way you want - Then take it home take it apart and then fiberglass it - Start with like 6oz cloth. Spray some 3M adhesive on the plywood and lay out the cloth so it will stick to the plywood - Get all the wrinkles out so it is smooth as possible - then just mix up some epoxy and wet the cloth out completely getting all the air bubbles out - let dry to green and apply a second 6oz cloth and wet out just like the first all air bubbles out - let completely dry - Sand down the rough edges to a finish form - The get some gel coat and gel coat the whole thing you will need to spray on a PVA Curing agent let dry - wash with water and touch up any rough stops with fine 1000 or better grit wet paper and give it 3 coats of wax and your done - An alternative to gelcoat could be a good epoxy two part paint - Once the fiberglass is cured touch up with sanding rough spots so it is like you want it and just paint away - Again once the paint is dry give it 3 coats of wax - Assemble the ramp and enjoy - I am sure Terry will add to this! He is the expert!!!!

Mike - Rolling Eyes
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good Mike, I think the starboard material will last forever and you would not have to fiberglass it. The carpet could either be glued or stapled to it just like wood. I f you were to buy the white starboard material. you would not even have to paint it. To see some, just look at the new photos I posted of the Changeofpace. The white around the windows is starboard, I didnt do anything except cut it out and glue it up. It looks real nice and cleans easily with formula 409
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea poly-board like starboard would work however it is very expensive in like 2' x 8' x3/4" panels and also has to much flex - up side isit is just about indestructable -

Mike - Wink
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Terry, I went back and looked for my reciept for the starboard material I bught and found out it came from a place called cesany plastics, which specializes in all things.... DOG RAMPS!!!!
they have a website www.dogramp.com and have ramps listed for pools and boats. If you call them and let them know the dimensions from the top of the transom to the waterline, they might just have or make a ramp that will work. He also sells the starboard in part sheets that are left over from jobs he has done. He sells these on ebay, and thats how I came to find him for my starboard. I purchased the 1/4 and 3/4 starboard from him. He is reasonable and ships fast
Terry
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is kind of funny ,,definatly would save me some grief. Gonna have to check out the site .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: