Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rochester-4 jet carburator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: rochester-4 jet carburator Reply with quote

my 1965 pace has rochester 4 jet carburator's on her, not quadrajet's but 4 jet is the name on them. my understanding is these pre-date the quadrajet and are much easier to rebuild. the kit i used was a 1447A i ordered through car quest. yes car quest. i was assured that this is acceptable and the accelerator pump's gasket would be up to date for the ethanol use. if anyone has one or two of these crittter's don't hesitate to rebuild them,if i can do it anyone can,mine had debries through out the whole carb,one thing i can say with certainty. once you open it be quick about the removal of the yuck and removal of the part's. once the yuck drie's it is very tough to get off with carb cleaner. if you choose to have them dipped dont worry so much.be carefull in the bowl next to the accelorator pump,there is a tiny circular screen down there you may punture if you poke around with a screwdriver trying to scrape stuff out.blow out the bowl's real good with carb cleaner or an air gun untill you see this screen. $63 is what i got the kit's for and that sure beat's the price of a new carb. yes they are very dated and more then likely not very fuel efficient but if your on a tight budget this is the way to go as a for now thing.best of all these are stock item's. i feel very confident my engine's will run alot better and not struggle so much to get up on plane.
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Terry -

I am sure that the carbs will run better than they did before - Rebuilding carbs is rather easy but you need a bench and you need to be very careful about how things come apart - Have plenty of space to lay the parts out -

One thing I tell people doing it for the first time is to take some pictures with a digital camera as you go along so you can reference it as you put it back together - Sometimes us older folks have memory lapses! Shocked

Mike - Rolling Eyes
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my boss and i we're talking about this friday morning we got to laughing in agreance about being well kind of to maticulous{used other adjective}with project's. every screw laid out the way it came off,matched each part and gasket's,more like different level's. a camera is also a good idea. i've kept thing's compressed to a corner and a piece of cardboard in the laundry room.but yes keeping thing's in order, clean, and undisturbed is a must. at first i got the eyeroll of displeasure from the admiral when i brought them home but after she saw what was going on agreed this was a real good decision.
leokow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, I'll bet the Admiral was just as enthused about the smell of gasoline and carb cleaner as mine was. Especially in her laundry room!
The majic words SAVE MONEY seemed to settle things down some. Let us know how she performs when you open those secondaries.Later...Leo
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heard about it a couple time's till i showed her the bowl's and what was in them on the second tear down.she got to see me open and drain it, then i got her full support.and yes i am very mindfull of the laundry room,lol.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, saw this book advertised on rebuilding carbs, might be worth the $$$ to have on hand.
http://www.wpsracing.com/hpbookrebroc.html
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic! Has anyone done any retrofits on there engines intake manifold and after market carbs? Maybe a Aluminum intake with a Eldenbrok carb. Or how about a after market fuel injection conversion? Let's keep this going!

Mike - Wink
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mike, I got the low rise aluminum intakes with the Holley Marine 650's with electric chokes I put on last year. These replaced the old rochester carbs that were on the old engines. The Holleys have smaller front throttle plates than the Rochesters did which didnt seem to give me any problems, They required a different fuel line setup from the fuel pump, but they sell the whole kit for the fuel line coming from the filter to the pump and from the pump to the carb, heck even the old flame arrestors fit right on.
Terry
MICKEY
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: carbs Reply with quote

i just talked to national carb in jacksonville,fl. they sell new edelbrock 600cfm carbs, but they are out of stock at this time. jack told me they would build a carter to marine specs and it would be the same as edelbrock. i have rochester on two 350cui gm's now. anyone know anything about national carb or edelbrocks? any help would be great,
thanks,
mickey
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickey -

I have used National Carb for rebuilds before they are A+++++ in my book. You will not believe your carbs when they come back, better than new! Best part is that they have an option on rebuilds that is just right for us, guaranty for life as long as you own the boat. He sure will loose money on us!

Yea! Terry I was thinking on an Eledenbrok manifold with the 750 Marine carbs - I know you had issues with the height at first! So I sort of backed off to do more research!

Mike - Wink
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Just make sure they are "low Profile" manifolds. not the hi-rise. measure your current height of the carb mount from the top of the manifold to the base of the carb mount, its around 4 inches, the new manifold has to be no higher or you'll hit the engine hatch, Thats coming from the voice of experience!!!!!!!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple thing's keep me from updateing, i'd like to keep thing's as close to stock as possible and the almighty $. i have all sort's of suggestion's from electronic ignition to different carb's,and fuel injection. real easy for those guy's to suggest these thing's when it's not their wallet,lol. i really like having thing's the way they came. i'd like to have that boat look like it came back from the bermuda triangle.soon as this weather break's i have to attack my deck issue's,i need to
replace a couple bad area's.Terry that rochester place is less the 20 mile's from me.heck i never would have known thanx. we used to have alot of speed shop's in the area.but that's how it goes for me, when i need it,it's gone. i'm hopeing to enlist the help of a guy who recognized the carb from 30 ft away come start up time, for the fine tuneing.those guy's who know old motor's are invaluble to me,but like a good plumber their hard to find.lol i dont really know what difference's i could xpect from updateing either. kind of nervous about how those motor's are going to respond to the breath of clean mix anyway, now that i know they had to be straining an awfull lot. i was told that boat will feel like it's going to jump out of the water. i'll just be happy to be back on the water safely with maybe one less worry.anyone got a quick laymen's description of the pacer series motor's? mine are the 220 from 1965 i have the tag's for them but have not had to much luck in finding out about these particular engine's. good bad ?
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engines I pulled from my boat were the original 220's. They cross-referenced to GM 307 blocks. I never had them running (I bought my boat as a basket case). When trying to decide what kind of system, fuel injection or carbs, I asked a lot of different people and got a lot of different answers. My boat will come right up on plane and cruises nicely with the holleys. I get about 12 gallons an hour at 2000 rpm, so If anyone with Rochester carbs has info, maybe we can compare fuel usage.
I guess the bottom line is just what you stated, do what you feel most comfortable with and spend what you can afford.
I went with the Holleys and aluminum intakes because the guy selling me my engines would add them with the electronic ignitions for $500 each engine, that made it affordable for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: