Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liquid Therapy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremiah
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Liquid Therapy Reply with quote

No name on the back yet but hopefully soon!!!
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your boat was the same design as mine , only mine was a 72- 28 it's in the photos under Overdue, but I have to say , you've done a hell of a job on her, I had to look twice to make sure that I was seeing correctly, Good work. I'm a little curious , how fast is she with only one engine and all that extra weight removed, from the picture it looks like she's moving pretty good.One of the advantages of living where the weather stays half decent most of the time and you don't have to worry about snow. Was it your idea to cut the top off of her and re-design the inside like that ? Someone sure had some forward looking vision. Although, I think I would have stayed with the twin gas motors. Regardless, she's is a looker and probably the most solid boat around down there.
Jeremiah
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i'd agree with the is it worth it to convert gas/diesel, I don't know why but gas inboards down here that are left in the water only last about 4/5 years. When I bought it she still was pretty closed in with the sides above the gunnels rounding up aroung 14" high and had a windshield all the way up to the floor of the tower. The only way to have gotten to the front of the boat was to walk behind the tower steps and walk the gunnel to the front. I wanted the trip to the front of the boat easy since 96% of the time I take it out alone. I made fiberglass cabinets in the front of the deck and made the seat behind the consuel. My cousin makes towers so he welded the hindges and breakaways on the tower for me. It has a 20" 4 blade prop with a running gear guard. 2- 65gal tanks and 2-35gal fresh water tanks in the back and the motor is only 2' behind the bathroom. It's got a CAT 3208TA 375hp and crusies at 26mph at 2400rpm and I haven't gone any faster than that but I'm guessin around 30-32 at 2800rpm since the tranny so low. Burns 11 gal an hour @ 26mph. If you have anymore questions on how it was done let me know.
leokow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your numbers are mostly what I was interested in and they come in very close to mine with gas engines, that's why it's so puzzeling to me as to why someone would go thru alll the trouble to change to diesel when it much more economical to stay with the gas. My 28 has twin chrysler 318 ci.and 225 hp at 2800 rpm she ran at about 20 knots and drank between 10 and 12 gal/hr.for both engines. I now have a 31 with twin 350 /270hp crusaders in it and it runs at 2900 rpm and 12 to 14 gals/hr. I'll know more about this one later in the season as I just purchased her in Oct. of this year , just in time to drive her down from NY to my place in NJ.At 2900 rpm she was running at 22 knots, not bad for a boat 32 years old and 12000 lbs. I've lightened her up some and I'll put a floscan on her before relaunch in the spring and get some more accurate numbers. My thoughts on the short lives of gas engines down there is they are probably raw water cooled and if so then that salt water going thru the block is what's killing them. Up here you can get a few more years out of them but fresh water cooled is definitely the way to go for engine longevity. The port engine in my 28 was over 20 years old and still ran fine. I guess because there's no need for antifreeze down there most guys just go with the raw water cooling systems,plus they are cheaper to buy in the beginning but in the long run the closed cooling system more than pays for itself. I looked into changing the 28 over to diesel and at 20,000 for each engine and trans. it was out of the question. All that aside you still have one of the most fantastic old paces that I've ever seen and what ever it cost it was damn sure worth it. Hope you get many,many years of pleasure from her...Leo
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a head turner. Looks GOOD. Lots of luck.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Pictures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: