Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhaust Risers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred.f
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Exhaust Risers Reply with quote

Does anyone have a source for vintage exhaust risers for a 318 Chrysler? My starboard side rusted through this weekend. I've checked the OSCO website, but none of their Chrysler's elbows/risers look like mine.
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred - A picture might help locate the correct riser - however here are a few sites =

http://www.boatfix.com/catalog/290.pdf

http://www.marinemanifold.com/partspages/Chrysler/chrysler2.htm

http://www.marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page8.html

http://www.go2marine.com/category.do?no=13683&mfrno=806

http://i-netmarine.com/manifolds/chrysler_V8_LM318_M340_M360_1968_85.htm

Hope this helps

Mike - Very Happy
fred.f
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for the links. Take a look at this photo of the port engine. The port-side (top of photo) exhaust riser is the same as the faulty one on the starboard side.

I'm guessing the links are showing compatible replacement parts, but I'd really like to get one having the original design. I'll get some numbers from the old one tomorrow -maybe that will help.

merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Boat fix has a option for chasing down parts by casting number - Might try them - I know on several other forums orginal parts are hard to find for the 318's

Mike - Very Happy
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Fred, I've seen a lot of 318's and you just gave me a first. I have never seen a set up like yours. What is the year of manufacture of your engine. Both osco and barr make replacement risers ,but neither look like yours.Another site for parts for you is ebasicpower.com.
I have twin 1972 -318's in mine and the look is different and also the cooling system setup you have is not the ordinary set up either. can you tell what type of system it is? Is it chrysler or one of the aftermarket ones that they also used?Like LENCO.
Also .I hate to mention this , but if one is gone the rest are not far behind so you ought to be thinking along the lines of new manifolds and risers for both sides. The consequences of failure and water getting into the engine is going to be a far bigger problem than the look of the riser. I've been thru this twice now in 12 years.
Fred I just read the post of the description of your boat and answered some of the questions I asked you,sorry , should have done that first, and I had a feeling that they were very early engines, you may have the only set of original risers in existance,do you know if your boat was run mostly in fresh water before you put it in the salt? There's another fellow on the site that has a 71 with twin 210 crusaders in it and he is on the great lakes, his engines are raw water cooled and they look like originals in his pictures also.They never last that amount of time in salt water. Your riser actually has been replaced by two parts, a riser and a tailpiece.
fred.f
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Having numbers is a big help... Reply with quote

I went down to the boat after work today, and in the end I have good news and bad. The good news is that I found the OSCO number on the riser, typed "OSCO 1815-5" into Google, and found my part at Go2Marine.com. It was listed under "Conversion Manifolds/Risers". I wonder why the special designation?

So now I'm thinking this exhaust system was a probably a replacement setup (would a system really last 37 years??), and most likely installed prior to 1995. That's when the previous owner purchased the boat, and it spent all its time on the Chester River (upper Chesapeake) after that. Not as much salinity there compared to the Atlantic or here in the Patuxent. I was told a former owner ran in some tournaments out of Ocean City, MD. But I can't confirm that. So salt water operations were most likely in her past.

As for the cooling setup, there is a tag on the heat exchanger, but I didn't realize I might need that info when I was at the boat, so I didn' read it. I'll check it out next trip there. And of course, leave it to me to not have a standard setup.

Now for the bad news: after closer inspection, it seems it will be worthwhile to replace all of the exhaust on the starboard side on the affected engine. The elbow has the hole, but the riser, spacer, and riser side of the manifold all have a good deal of corrosion. Which then leads to the dilemma - do I replace the entire system? on both engines? It's a hard decision to spend money to replace parts that look fine from the outside. But it's kinda like that Fram filter commercial - "pay me now, or pay me later".
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred. these parts almost always look fine from the outside ,it's the inside that causes all the problems, I wish I was at my home in Philly so I could post some of the pics of internally corroded exhaust parts that look absolutely perfect on the outside but they are rusted thru on the inside.
This is what happens, the water jackets usually rust thru to where the exhaust gas enters them, now it's not supposed to be there , it's just supposed to surround the cavity to cool things down.When it gets in there it now has access to the exhaust valve where it can enter the combustion chamber and mix with your gas. The big problem is you can't compress water and when the piston comes up on the compression stroke you can bend a connecting rod, blow a piston,etc. A wrecked engine is the end result,and the idea is to get to it before it gets this bad. Are there any other symptoms that your engine is giving you. Like low power, hard starting ? One way you can check if any water has gotten into the cylinders is to pull the plugs and look for water on any of them, gas will make the plugs look wet but water will make little beads on the plugs,or you can try to start the motor with the plugs out and look for water to come out of the plug holes. Hopefully nothing happens and this means you caught it in time. You're absolutely right about the fram comercial, you can pay now or a whole lot more later.like rebuilding the engines.If it were my boat I would order manifolds,riser and tailpieces for both engines as soon as I could.They also sell a stainless steel stud kit that replaces the bolts that are being used now to hold the manifolds on, it makes it a whole lot easier to do the replacement as the studs hold the manifolds while you align the gaskets and you just have to put the nuts on,instead of trying to hold 50 lbs. of cast iron,align the gaskets,and find the bolt holes all at the same time .They are not very expensive and will make the job go a lot easier.Good luck and please let us know how you make out ..Leo
fred.f
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Leo, I guess I should consider myself lucky. Neither engine exhibits any signs of decreasing performance. They start easy and run strong. I didn't even know I had a problem except that the starboard engine became louder. Honestly, I though it was a muffler at first. But when I pulled up the hatch, I saw water where there should be none and a burnt exhaust hose.

I appreciate your advice. You know, I should've already known most of what you told me. In my younger days, I worked as a marine mechanic, but it's been a while, and the details you provided haven't stayed with me over the years.

I'll post back with the results.

Thanks again.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, you probably already know this but you need to replace both of the manifolds as they should be replaced in pairs .
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred if your are going to replace your manifolds -risers - You might want to consider the fresh water cooling kit for the manifold - That does away with raw water running thru the exhuast manifolds - only the upper risers see raw water - Have had my exhaust manifolds and elbows for 20 some years - on second set of engines - only change the riser elbow very three to four years -

Mike - Very Happy
fred.f
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I'm not sure I understand. My engines are fresh water cooled. Is the kit you mention something in addition to that?

Take a look at the photo posted above. You'll see the heat exchanger and plumbing running to the manifolds from the thermostat housing. So that's fresh water. What I don't know is if any raw water flows thru the manifolds to help cool the fresh side (now that I typed that, it doesn't make sense for it to be that way). I need to get out the book and get back down to the engine to trace the fresh and raw water flow paths.

If the kit you mention enhances the current system, that's great. But if it's the same as I already have, that's even better news because of the service life you've just reported. If I look through all the paperwork that came with the boat, maybe I'll find a receipt for manifolds with a date on it. Laughing

In any case, I want to do whatever is prudent - without spending unnecessarily.

And thanks for the info!

Fred
leokow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred. I looked at your pic as closely as I Could and I believe you are correct . Your manifolds are anit-freeze cooled as well as your block. Did you get a chance to see what the label on the heat exchanger says, It looks like a sen-dure unit to me but the rest of it is all greek ! Is that household copper tubing running all around the block ? It looks like it and also out of the thermostat housing and into the ends of the manifolds.
The new system will cool everything that is cooled now by anti freeze the salt water coming out of the heat exchanger will be fed into the riser and out the tailpiece where it mixes with the exhaust gasses to keep the hoses cool down to the muffler. The risers and tailpieces will be all that you have to concern yourself with once you make the changes.As I said earlier your riser is now replaced by 2 parts , a riser and a 20 degree angled tailpiece. The anit freeze will be stopped from going into your riser by a blocking gasket that goes between the end of the manifold and the end of the riser. That upper plumbing system that you have there really has me going but if it's worked this long who am I to knock it. Good luck...Leo PS>>What temp.do you normally run at ?
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred -

By looking at the picture you provided I could not tell if the exhuast manifolds are fresh water cooled or not - As Leo stated there is usually a blocking plate and gaskets that keep the fresh water side from the raw water side - If the engine already has that great - One less worry! Just replace the risers - Your done! If not I would seriousily consider inspecting the inside of the exhaust manifolds - You need to trace down the fresh water cooling hoses to figure this out! We can not be sure from the picture -

By the way since the risers are OSCO as you mentioned just get in touch with then and see what they recommend for replacments -

Good Luck -

Mike - Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: