Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Computer navigation package

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Free Computer navigation package Reply with quote

I have been playing with a lap top computer on my boat for a while and have come across a free navigation package that works great and uses current NOAA charts - so your charts are the latest versions - The computer ties into the NEMA 183 port of a GPS and will run just like any other package it also will display any other vessels around you if you have a AIS reciever and the boats arount you are transmitting AIS information - So far it has worked well and is extremely fast and accurate - It even automaticly selects the best chart for you. Say you are in a bay and using a 1:40000 chart and you go into a harbor that has a 1:2000 chart it will select the greater detail chart and show your position and route selected - It Zooms the charts in and out provides a future pointer to help you stay on course - It will also act as a repeater with a NEMA out to other instruments from calculated data -

Great little package and the best part it is FREE - Great addition to a helm - all you need is a computer - and a method of down loading from the net one time or everytime you want updates. Once loaded it is free standing.

If any one is interested let me know!

Mike - Cool
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: here is the info Reply with quote

OK! Here are the sites www.sping.com/seaclear and http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/Index.htm

Now one thing I will tell you is the software is sensitive to location on the hard disk - also you will need to run MapCal to enter the charts into the chart directory - Once that is done the program works like a charm - Be sure to hook it up to your NMEA 183 port form your GPS to really see the power of the program! The manual that comes with the software is a bit shakey but you can get thru it - Just follow the instuctions and play a bit - There are also some other free programs that will help in conversions and talking to other systems -

I found the program to be very accurate and quick in fact it beats my charting GPS as to the moving of the maps - and auto selecting of more detail charts - One thing I have not found yet is how to do course up navigation - it only does true north up - which is not that bad - I found myself looking at the computer for realitive location of the route I am on rather than the GPS - Might be because it is larger and faster -

Mike - Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: