Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private Mail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Site problems or issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Private Mail Reply with quote

Has anyone been having any issues with private mail -

Mike - Rolling Eyes
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know Mike, I sent one to Rob today, a few to Leo last week. Dont know if anyone sent me any, havent gotten a notice like I normally would
Terry
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received Terry's message. I replied from my Blackberry, so I'm not sure if he received my reply.
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine seems fine.

John
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothin out of the ordinary here,
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, got your message, Thanks for the idea of between the bridges marina, I forgot they were there. I check Bruce and Johnson in Branford and they are outrageously priced. Between the bridges email came back as the address is no longer valid. I am going to talk to the harbour master and see if he will let me tie up at the mooring in the river if I need a spot late in the summer. He's a member of my club and I've seen other members tie up there. just means no shore power, so I will have to charge the batteries by solar or running the engines
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, if you run into a problem, my old marina will definately pro rate a mooring for you. It's just far up the river in Portland.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portland is a bit far for me. I wont know anything for sure until spring and even then there might be no problem. seems as if a lot of the guys have bigger boats now and the club reduced the size of the boats which can be kept on the inside slips from 26 feet to 24 ft 11 inches until the river gets dredged because some people complained that they had a hard time at low tide with the big boats on the inside. This club does not count the swim platform or pulpit when measuring the boat and a few of the boats were 26 feet with the 2 ft swim platform and another 2 ft anchor pulpit.
Right now I'm right on the edge of the list for a permanent slip. After that the sublet slips will come up. I can squat in any slip not being used by the owner as long as the fleet captain knows and can get the boat moved without a problem. Seems like there is always someone coming out for repairs, going away for a trip etc. The club then ended up moving my boat in Oct. because they needed more room to swing the boats in tighter, I actually got put in front of the pile of boats. There is 1 boat in front of me and one boat on the side that would have to be moved before mine could go in and both of those guys are early birds. The spot where I was I would have ended up 6 rows deep and wouldnt see the water until May. I should get at least 90 days of squatting before things get tight, that is more than enough to not have a summer storage bill. Squatting is actually cheaper than paying full slip price since I only pay for the number of weeks I'm in the water. So the rate is based on 33 weeks April 1 to Nov. 1. When I first joined and was in the water for 10 weeks, I thought there was a mistake on my bill, it was for $117 total for the 10 weeks, of course that was with a 20 ft boat and the rate is higher for bigger boats now but my cost for a slip for the year is less than 1/3 the cost Bruce and Johnsons quoted me for a floating dock in Branford and still less than their price for a mooring.
We will be redoing the marina,hopefully starting in 2008 and will be adding more slips for bigger boats and transient slips for visiting boaters. Its well protected from storm tides since there is a hugh sand bar we navigate through to get out to the main channel. This sand bar kills all of the big waves so the boats dont get knocked around too much unless its by wind
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That price is awesome. I'll have to tell my marina that I'm a squatter and see if they will give me a better deal.LOL
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007 price per foot for boats 26 feet and over is $34.65, so a slip for my boat for the 33 weeks would be $970.2 plus tax, so if I'm in the water 90 days, or 12 weeks, thats only about 37% or $352.80, now you know why there is a waiting list for my club. Bruce and Johnson in over $3000 upwards to $4500, a mooring with no dock is $1450.
There are other fees which add up to the yearly costs, $184 for yearly membership, $371 for winter storage. There is a one time fee of $800 to join, but you can see there isnt any other place thats as cheap. We dont have a pump-out, no gas dock, one outside shower. The clubhouse could use some major repair work etc, but we dont have many rules or restrictions, I can bar-b-que on my boat at the dock, I can haul my own fuel in and pit it in my boat, I do all of my own work on my boat and we have a nice little workshop, a nice engine hoist on wheel to pull engines (boy did I love that last year!) and a whole bunch of nice guys who like to drink beer and tell fish stories, We even have our own yearly fishing tournament with the biggest fish for each kind listed in the clubhouse. At the end of the year, there is a big bar-b-que for everyone who joined the tournament. Yeah, its nice here, I hope I dont have to move the changeofpace out even if its only for a couple of weeks
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately sounds like you have it made there, I can't believe those prices.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the prices are low because we dont hire anyone to do the work, we do it all. We put the docks in and out, fill in holes, repair bulkheads, water lines, electrical, lights, everything. Most public marinas hire contractors for everything and usually have rules setup so that you have to use an "approved, read kickback" contractor. Big marinas taken over by corporations are making it even tougher to find a good place to keep your boat if you want to do all the work yourself. I guess what I'm saying is that these big corporations know that boating has seen a hugh increase over the last few years with more and more boats being on the water and they know that as the number of boaters goes up, the amount of money they charge can go up and they charge for everything and anything. They also know that a lot of the boaters can be taken for a financial ride since they must have money or they couldnt afford to be a boater in the first place. What does it cost for the marina to change the oil in your boat $80, $100?? How come? Their pumping system use anything different than mine? They charge for oil disposal, new oil, disposal of the old filter, new filter, shop supplies, etc. Then they take all of the old oil, put it in drums or a tank and sell it to a oil reclaimer, who then sells it to a recycler. they get money coming and going. Ok, they have a security system in place, will they pay you if your boat gets broken into? nope, read the fine print, NOT RESPONSIBLE. My club has a security system, cameras and the membership! last year some teens decided they could walk across the mud flat at low tide and break into the boats. They made it across the flat and into 3 boats before they were nailed by guys who watched them on the security cameras. everything taken was returned, the boat owners were called, easy to see which ones, muddy footprints leading into and out of the boats. The cops were called, the first officer on the scene was a club member, Havent had any problems since
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooohhhh you guy's that get to work closely with boat's are so dang fortunate,make's me one jealous plumber. Terry your place sound's alot like the marina we are at here, for the area they are very resonable with their priceing, very resonable. i owe these guy's an awfull lot of gratitude,their paitent's with me i cant describe. i have given them a few laugh's i'm certain of that, but i know they understand how serious i am about my boating expeirence. you guy's sound like a pretty close knit group as well.to be a part of that is like nothing i've ever known. i did know going into an older wooden boat was going to be something else,i just did not expect what i have gained and been allowed to be a part of.and yes my gratitude does extend to everyone involved in our little community.
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with x. Thats one of the reasons that we are moving. Part of the crowd at our old marina is a little tough to be around. It's a small marina with some great people that we will miss, but it's time for us to move on to a better crowd. We want our kids to look forward to going to the boat, they started to get a little tired of us telling them that they couldn't be around certain people, but some of the people were just way to inappropriate. I'm sure that you can find that anywhere, but we're looking for a better crowd.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people at my club have teased the you know what out of me because I bought a POS boat (Piece of SH*T), but everyone I've asked has come out and helped me, espescially last year when I was having problems getting the engines to run. I had put them in and was told to make sure they had oil pumped through them before starting them. One of the guys gave me a tool that goes on a drill motor and fits into the slot where the distributer goes, you spin the drill motor and it spins the oil pump sending the oil through-out the engine. Well, not being a mechanic, when I was done, I turned the engine over until #1 was at top dead center and dropped the distributer back in, The rotor did not line up at # 1 but was off 2 spots on the cap and the engine of course wouldnt fire right. It was a hot July day and I was sweating and all kinds of bummed out figuring that the timing chain and gears were not lined up (This after moving wires around and changing the firing order a few hundred times) and I would have to pull them out and change the gears alignment. I went into the clubhouse to clean-up and call it a day. A few of the guys had been out fishing and were having a cold beer and asked me how the POS boat was doing. I told them what was going on and the next thing I had everyone out on the boat checking things out. One of the guys pulled the distributer and took my long handled screwdriver and turned the slot on the bottom until it was where # 1 should be on the cap, dropped the distributer back in,checked the wires and then turned the key. The engine fired right up. I felt like a fool, but everybody laughed and went back in to the club. I tried to buy them a few beers, but nobody would have it. They said they were glad to help a fellow member. Since then, I've helped other members everyway I could, kind of follows to this site. I think 99% of the people here feel the same way - Its as if we are in a private club here, all having the same love of an old classic boat, all wanting to share information and ideas.
Rob, I'll definately plan on trying to hook up with you sometime on the water. I was thinking about your boat and think we might still have met a few years ago. Back in 2004 or 2005, I went to a marina in Portland looking for a project boat. The marina was on the CT river and there was a guy there working on a Pacemaker. He told me to check out a boat that was near the fence. The marina was on a road that came down a hill. You entered through a opening in the fence and there was an office building on the right and a shop on the left. The docks were also on the right. The yard was all dirt and mud. I think the guy I was dealing with was Dennis and he let me go through all of the boats he had for sale. He was asking for way too much money for what he had. Sound like where you had your boat?
Terry, I would not be jealous of us, I'm envious of you since you are keeping a wooden classic going, that is so much more time consuming, yet its boating like I remember when I was a kid on my grandfathers boat on Cooperstown lake.
There is a 50's Pacemaker on ebay, guy is looking for $100 for it, says you can come and take what you need, but checking the map, he's closer to you than me. He has posted pictures of the inside and the wood looks great. I would love to get the whole boat and put her back together, but the admiral would kill me if I dragged this boat home, oh well, only 38 days till launching is scheduled to start, of course thats April 1st and that just happens to be Palm Sunday so I might not get to go in Sad
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the marina right next to mine. There was (until last summer) a guy there about 58 yrs old probably that spent 4 years redoing the twin to my boat. He has a 38 Pacemaker s/f that he did everything over on. The boat is all white. Funny, his name is Bob, he is a real nice guy. I need a windshield for my flybridge, he said he had an extra because he replaced his, he also had a bunch of other parts that he didnt need and wanted to give me, but his boat went in the water 2 days earlier so he could rush to RI where he belongs to a club and was going to lose his slip if he didnt get his boat in it on time. they do have an awful lot of overpriced junk there, and I think you're right, I think the managers name is Dennis. He is the guy that I talked about that had his windshields glassed in by a pro, and they came out nice. I do plan on traveling around fishing the sound this year, we will definately hook up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Site problems or issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: