Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

chalky gel coat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fiberglass Pacemakers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finnally
Land lubber
Land lubber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: chalky gel coat Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the best way to bring up the finish on old gelcoat.Also does anyone have any suggestions on repaint? Thanks
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the oxidation isnt too bad, you can use a good restoring compound. The compound should be put on with a buffer, then buffed off with a clean buffing pad. You should then put on a good coat of wax. Painting is another optin, but you will have to either clean off the oxidation or seal it so the paint will have good adhesion.
Keep in mind that most gel coats are thick and can be brought back with a little sweat and polish.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to tell you another way. You can also use a product called polyglow when done which will seal the gelcoat better than any wax could and will last the whole season. I used it on my last boat and it does work. I used a different cleaner, cant remember the name but it came in a clear plastic bottle and was white in color and dried like wax first. I then used the cleaner that came with the polyglow kit to clean the hull, then 4 coats of the polyglow sealer. The boat went from chalky white to a nice deep maroon and stayed that way all year. I'm going to use it on my pace this spring.
here is the website for the polyglow
http://www.poliglowproducts.com/
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnally,

Go with the polyglow. I have seen greater results with less time. One of my friends has a dark red Sea Ray that was "dead". It was compounded, polished and waxed about 4 seasons in a row. The shine only lasted about a month. One treatment of polyglow 2 years ago and it still looks good. Remember, compound is ABRASSIVE. It takes off some gel coat everytime it is used. Ship Shape TV had a segment on polyglow a few weeks ago and it was very informative. I am lucky with my Wahoo. The two previous owners were meticulous and kept her well cleaned and waxed. I have done the same with the Wahoo and my 18' center console that I bought new in 1980. I have never compounded or buffed my 18' and the finish looks like new.

Good luck, John
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys talk about applying polyglow on the hull, how will it work topside? My bout is in desperate need of a shine. Thanks
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, it will work on everything above the waterline, goes on easy. Takes about 4 coats, but worth the effort
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I see that you're from Ct. do you ever get up into the Ct. River? My boat will be in Deep River this year.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going up the CT river is an option we have discussed. Usually, I head out towards Fishers Island or down around Charles Island, depending on where the fish are. This year, we're going to head out around the outer end of Long Island to try some Tuna fishing.
I know the Deep River area, nice place. No place for me to keep my boat, so I'm docked in New Haven. I actually live north of New Haven and it takes me a good 20 - 25 minutes to get to the boat.
Last time I was in the CT river, there was a lot of junk floating in the water and a lot of boats going up and down. A friend of mine wants to try fishing the river, know any good spots?
Terry
oh yeah, since your close, we could probably hook up sometime, give a yell on the radio, call sign is Change of Pace, just like here
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Terry. My plan is to try and do a bunch of fishing this year too. We had our boat in Portland last year, 2 1/2 hr trip just to get to the sound, so we didn't do it often. Our boat is the Heather Ryan II. There are a lot of good fishing spots in the river depending on what you're looking for. Lots of stripers making there way down stream in the spring.If it takes you that long to get to NH then you must live somewhere near me.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in North Haven, but usually leave from Wallingford. Most of the time is spent at the I91, I95 rt 34 connector. From I91 to I95, the highway goes down to 1 lane to north and 1 lane south I95. Traffic is usually stopped and I get off and drive through New Haven on the back roads, thats why the trip takes as long as it does.
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tough spot. My office used to me in the big building with the green roof right on the water at that intersection of 91 and 95. A friend of mine is in the Coast Guard Aux. there meeting house is right in that area, he is always trying to talk me into moving my boat down there, he tells me that its a real nice area.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wifes offiice is in the green roofed building (she works for the phone co). The coast guard aux building is right across the river from my club. Its a nice protected place to keep your boat. My club is stretched thin right now for slips, I lost mine last year because i didnt have the boat in the water for 60 consectutive days. I should be able to have a slip, either a sub-let or squat for most of the season. I might have a problem in Aug. If so, the boat will come out then and go back in when a slip opens up.
You said you're in deep river, is that the deep river marina? I thought that had a low tide draft of only 1 foot and thats why I didnt look there for slips
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot, if you have google earth, you can take a look at the club, just enter new haven in the search box and you can see the harbor. On the left side is the west river and you can zoom in on my club or West Cove on the other side of the river. I use this google earth to check out various marinas. The pictures are taken from a satelitte and might be a few years old, but they give a good idea of the area
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry, yes, deep river marina, there are no issues with depth, there are some pretty big boats in there. I think I know exactly where your club is, I was there last year looking at a boat for sale with a friend of mine. The entrance had a chain link elec gate that slides to the side.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Thats the place. I even bet I know the boat you were looking at, it was out on the dock where you had to go under the bridge, what we call E dock. At that time, my boat was still up on land. You werent the guy who came up and talked with me while I was working on the electrical were you? I had a guy come up who was visiting the club with someone else and stopped by my baot. said he had a pacemeker also
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think I spoke to anyone. We were looking at a 28' (I think) older boat. I cant remember the make, it was for a friend of mine. All I can remember is that the space in the cockpit was taken up by huge engine covers that would have made it pretty difficult to fish from. I can't remember the owners name (Tony?) He was in the CG Aux. with my friend Glenn. Seemed like a pretty cool place.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then its not the boat I was thinking about. I was thinking of Phil's boat. I like the club where my boat is since its a private club, no worries about things disappearing from the boat. I dont even lock mine and the keys are left hanging inside so if it needs to be moved, the fleet captain can move it. We have a tight bunch of regulars who are always there and looking out for everybodies boat, cutting the grass, yard work etc. Well, enough about my club, did you order the polyglow kit yet? I remembered the name of the cleaner I used first, its Collinite and its a white liquid you apply with a buffer, let dry and then buff off with the buffer. My neighbor had it for cleaning his corvette and it did a beautiful job of removing the chalky gelcoat. I am going to put another few coats of the polyglow on my pace this spring. The only areas where I see any problems were areas where I couldnt apply it with the applicator and probably didnt get it uniform thickness. Make sure you apply it going in one direction only and remove any dirt or it will seal it right to the boat.
Terry
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't ordered it yet, but I am definately going to. Sounds a lot easier and less expensive then paint. Thanks again for that. Rob
MICKEY
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Gelcoat Reply with quote

Terry, you said you cleaned with collinite. Were did you come up with that product? My pace is very dull and chalky now and i want to use the poliglow to shine it up, but am not sure about buffing with automotive coumpond. maybe it can be ordered on line.
thanks
mickey
wakensea
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used poly glow last year for the first time on my 76- 36' sportfish, the stuff works great, lasted all season, the boat is easier to wash, and keep clean. My only suggestion is, make sure you get your boat perfectly clean before you apply the poly glow. goodluck, you wont be sorry.
Ron
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickey, When I used the collinite, I was cleaning an old Maxum cuddy cabin I had. The guy who lives across the street came over and saw what I was doing and went and got this stuff from his garage. He uses it to clean his corvette. It did a great job of cleaning all of the chalky white stuff off. I wasnt sure if it was needed since the polyglow kit has a cleaner that comes with it. When I did my Maxum, I used the collinite, then the cleaner that came with the polyglow kit, then the polyglow itself. For my Pace, I usd the polyglow kit by itself. Like I and wakensea said, make sure all of the dirt is off or you will seal it to the boat. If the boat is cleaned and sealed with the polyglow, it will clean right up nice and easy. I put 4 coats of the polyglow on and ordered a new bottle for this year. By the way, I didnt need to wax the boat with the polyglow and it held up nicely
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickey,

I would power wash was the boat first. Then use the cleaner that comes with the kit followed by the application of the polyglow. I don't think that buffing with automotive compound is necessary. I saw the results that my friend got with his and I was impressed. Power washing will help to get the dirt out of the pores in the surface. I power wash my boats with plain water after each use and they clean and polish up easy.

John
MICKEY
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Gelcoat Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, now it's my turn to put the elbow grease to it. I don't think the previous owner ever did anything to the gel coat. This is a project boat from start to finish. At least it floats and has a dry hull! Well enough for now.
Thanks
Mickey
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Mickey, Finnally,

Did you guys do anything with your finish yet? When you do, please post your results.

John
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to admit it, but my boat is still covered. I am definately going to use it, I saw someone apply it to a very chalky sail boat hull and the finish looked great. Well as good as a sail boat can look I guess. I will definately let you know how it works if we ever get warm weather again. Rob
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Mickey, and everyone who reads this thread, I used the polyglow last year and I applied it again this year and today had a guy ask me what I painted the boat with. He could not believe it was 33 year old gelcoat he was looking at.
Remember, remove all of the old dirt. apply the polycoat on going in 1 direction in small 5 foot sections overlaping the strokes, 4 coats is good, 5 coats is better. Buy the kit from polyglow, it has everything you need
Terry
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Terry. I'm definately going to try it if the temp ever rises again.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I posted some new pictures of my boat in the photo section. You can see the polyglow shine. I only did from the rub rail down as I still have some more holes to fill in
Terry
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Terry. Sure wish that the weather would get a little bit better. I'm definately getting behind.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in for a week, dont have the radios back in, dont have all of the new gages hooked up and have only moved the boat from the launch to the slip about 60 feet Sad this cold weather is really getting me down. Went down last night to check after all that heavy rain. Boat was high and dry so I decided to run the engines, damn near froze my butt off since it was dark and hovering in the low 30's. Its supposed to get into the mid 50's tomorrow, hope to take a short cruise just to clear out the itch thats been bugging me all week
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fiberglass Pacemakers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: