Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weight - Dry or Wet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neverending

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Weight - Dry or Wet Reply with quote

Anyone know if the factory specs for weight are dry or with a full load of fuel. My boat lists as 5200 lbs, but has had a 454 repower adding 400 pounds and the 36 gallon monel tanks have been replaced by 50 gallon stainless tanks. If I have to add the 800 lbs for 100 gallons of fuel that puts Never Ending at 6400 lbs before adding any gear. Quite a difference when shopping trailers.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,
My paperwork for my 74 28 footer lists 8404 lbs as the weight of the boat without any fuel and water.
I believe pacemaker listed the boat weights dry
Terry
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, any of the info that I have found over the years lists the pacemaker/alglas boats as powered but dry, no water no gas. But I can save you a few pounds. Water weighs 8.33/gal.--gas 5.8 to 6.5/gal. and ethanol is 6.59/gal. according to the US Dept. of Energy anyway. It's not much but 659 is better than 800lbs.Won't help much with the trailer purchase but at least you can bring another youngster along fishing with you. Hope you Have a nice holiday ..Leo
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - Don't know about your particular boat however every spec from Pacemaker that I have ever read was dry - no water no fuel - You wil need to check your aft balance since you added so much weight - Let us know how you make out - I would say a 10,000 to 12,000 pound trailer is what you might shoot for - particularily if you are going some distance -

Mike - Rolling Eyes
neverending

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess the consensus is Dry.

Mike,

I don't have any way of checking the before and after CG since the weight was added before I had the boat, but keep in mind that the weight was not repositioned just increased. If anything, the moment arm of the fuel tanks moved slightly forward since the water tank was removed to make room for the extra fuel tank dimensions. Since the water and fuel basically cancel one another on the starboard side, the port side gains a slight forward moment since there is no water tank to displace. Also the batteries have been moved forward of the cabin bulkhead from their original location just forward of the runner shaft.

So, pencil and paper calculations are as follows: 5200 original dry weight + 400 big block vs small block, 660 lbs fuel, 300 lbs of ancillary gear (anchor and rode, instruments, bimini top, safety equipment, bait tank, and junk that accumulates) = 6560 lbs.

Why wouldn't a 7000# trailer be sufficient? I understand the desire to over engineer, but it would seem a trailer designed to handle 7000 lbs should be able to handle 7000 lbs. At most I could see going 8000# but not more. Once you go over 8000# you go from a tandem axle trailer to a tri-axle trailer and I would be concerned that this would be too long to place the CG of this 25 footer directly over the axles before the running gear starts to interfere with the trailer cross members. Commonly the trailers I have seen that are rate in the 10 to 12K pound range state they are designed for 28-30 foot boats.

Am I missing something?
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - Sounds like one of my weight and balance calculation on the plane - I would think a 7000# trailer would not leave enough room for error - Your right on the 8000# trailer - By the way are there any travel lifts in your area that have scales on them - my yard does so I know what the boat weighs - You might just check around - or you might find a scale and measure the trailer empty and then with the boat - I know this will only give you peace of mind -

IMHO - boats seem to gain weight the older they get - seems like the constant acumulation of equipment and updates gets over looked - I know my boat is about 1200# over the dry weigh spec by Pacemaker - but I know why and where the weigh is - You just have to remember that dry weigh back then was with no equipment about the only thing the boat had was a compass I don't think they even had achors - What I mean there was no radios, hailers, GPS, loran, FF, radar, speed logs, antennas, out riggers, bait tanks, fishing gear, pumps, extra batteries, inverters, larger chargers, tops, and stuff we don't consider to be extra these days - Never mind all the safety equpment! Basiclly it was a bare boat with a flying bridge - I know at my marina I watch in the spring commissioning most boats are 3 to 6 inches above the boot stripe and by the time the three truck loads of equipment is back onboard and full of fuel and water the boot stripes are in the water!

I am sure you know the routine everything affects the weigh and balance some what -

Mike - Rolling Eyes
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that most trailer manufacturers when they are advertising a 7000 lb trailer, they mean that that is the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), not the Gross Cargo Weight. You have to deduct the weight of the trailer to get the load carrying capacity of the trailer. You would be surprised to find out what the trailer actually weighs empty. I go through a lot at work with different work groups after they overload and damage trailers, trucks and equipment. So the GVW is the load AND the weight of the trailer.

John
neverending

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking now at an EZ-Loader Roller trailer and I went to their website to check the specs and they list the carrying capacity. They have a model for 23-25/27 with a load carrying capacity of 8300# which is likely the model I will go for. Looks to be the best choice for adjustability without having to go to a custom trailer.
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

This looks like the winner. I moved my 26 Wahoo with my Brother in Law's Venture Trailer with rollers and the same specs. It worked out fine. I am considering buying a trailer to eliminate the jacking the boat on and off the trailer or paying someone to move my boat. I missed a 2 year old trailer that the owner had no place to store it and did not want to use it for $1000. To everyone have a HAPPY HOLIDAY.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: