Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacemaker Alglas and Pacemaker Boats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Pacemaker Alglas and Pacemaker Boats Reply with quote

Found out why My Pacemaker looks different than some other Pacemakers of the same vintage. Mine is a Pacemaker Alglas

see the difference in the pic below, They are the same in every way except for the front m(The boat on the right is Phils boat and the one on the left is one I found for sale that is like mine, you can click the pic and it will become bigger)
neverending

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to tell from the lack of highlight detail in the left shot, but I think most of the perceived difference is in the perspective (no pun intended). The shot on the left was taken with a normal to slightly telephoto focal length lens while the one on the right was shot with a wide angle lens.

In any case, the one on the right does not look like a sport fisherman. I think it's an express bridge.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on the left looks like My 74. I've seen other boats where the owner calls them sportfishers and they look like the one on the right. When I got mine, the paperwork says sportfisher. So What I have been trying to find out since I bought the boat a year ago was, why did the front of my pace look different than other pacemakers where their owners also called them sportfisher models.
After searching the web off and on during the last year, several things came to light. The biggest "finding" was that The Alglas and Pacemaker boat names were sold by the same main company, Pacemaker. (kind of like GM with Chevy and Pontiac)
The Alglas brand of boat had slight differences in their style, with Their boat having a different slope down from the bridge to just in front of the hatch. Looking at pictures of many 28 ft pacemakers always seemed to show the style on the right. In every instance where I found the owner listing his 28 ft Sportfishers as an Alglas model, the body style was like the one on the left, or in other words, Just like mine.
If you look at the pics of my boat and Leo's old boat on this and the old site, you can see the difference in the bodystyle is basically the same/ Another minor difference was with the bench seat on the flybridge. My Alglas also had a bench seat, but the Metal used for the seat back (the one with the Teak board as a back) was bolted under the seat bench with the tubing mounted inside a molded grove, which was then covered by the seat bench itself. I discovered this difference when discussing the switch in helm seating with Leo since I didnt like having to climn over the seat to get at the controls. I asked Leo what he did with the grooves when he mounted his passengers seats and He didnt know about the grooves because his boat didnt have them. I've since looked at quite a few Pacemakers of the 72 -74 vintage and I dont usually see the grooves except on the Alglas brand.
Sorry for the long winded reply, just wanted to clarify what i was trying to show and maybe get some discussions going for the long cold winter. A little friendly boating talk when everything is white and frozen and maybe a little more of our boats history can be discovered by fellow owners or better yet more clarity of what is know but maybe forgotten
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 boats from a different view showing the differences between Alglas and Pacemaker styles form the same size boat and vintages

Thanks goes to Leo and Philjp for these are pics they posted of their boats
neverending

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha... That is a better view.

Both nice looking boats. Looks like the same boat with different bridge molds. I've been staring at the pictures to see which one I like best. Sort o' like GTO vs 442 using you GM analogy.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep or a camaro vs firebird from late 60's!!!
I have to like the top one because it looks like my boat. The bottom one is Leo's old boat the "overdue" so I think he will say that the bottom one is better.
Since there isnt a lot of places to find the information, I'm hoping some of the other Pacemaker owners who have owned paces longer than me (I've owned mine a little over 1 year) can add some more info on the differences and which style is better. I like the way the bridge slopes down on mine and I can tell you its a great place to lay in the sun relaxing while at anchor!!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guy's,
curious if the difference's were different option package's offerd when the boat's were made. i had understood pacemaker boat's were custom order boat's just wondered if this,if correct, could shed some light. we enjoy our sundeck as well, the flybridge beat's all view's on board though,we're up there, if the lake is to rough to go out on we can still sit behind the breakwall and enjoy a day,we have nearly a complete view of the south end of lake michigan, make's for alot of beautifull sunset's and sunrise's.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Terry, Thats what I've been trying to figure out since I got my Pace last year. Mine has the long sloping front and I've searched the net and usually when I find these boats for sale and they are listed with the alglas name (Pacemaker alglas) they have the front like mine. If its a option package or not I'm trying to find out. I have seen a lot of these on yachtworld and boattrader both with and without the slope down from the flybridge. I've been from RI to NJ looking at some and the differences are minor. Both styles usually have the sofa on the left with dinnette on the right, the head on the left and galley on the right. Up front, dual bunks on right, anchor locker in middle and storage on left with inlet and outlet for the old style head.
The body style is basically the same with minor differences like how the seat back for the bench seat was mounted, the shape of the flybridge is curved differently at the rear, and of course the shape of the cowling.
It's not a big problem for me like when I first got the boat and was trying to raise the dead ( my boat had sat on land ignored for 10 years before I found her). I wanted to keep her as close to original as possible, Since then, I've seen more of the Paces with the same front as mine and due to lack of availibility of GOOD pace parts, I've had to use parts from other boats and I've made a few things I couldnt find. The most obvious non pacemaker part on my boat is the DC control board with the MAKO logo in it. My original DC board was shot.
Now that all I have left to do is paint, trim and install the new headliner, I'm getting itchy to start another project. I'm looking at a nice 33 footer from 1973. has no engines but is a Pacemaker with a good hull and no blisters or soft spots. I think the guy is asking a little too much for it right now. So I'll wait until spring and see if its still there.
Anyway, I keep writing these long winded responses since I dont have any big repairs to do for the first time in a long time. I went down to my Pace last Sat and just sat inside her cabin and watched TV just to be on her.
Changeofpace (Terry)
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya know, i surely would have thought someone from the old pacemaker plant would still be in a pace and might have found us by now,someone like that might be able to answer alot of question's for us. I have noticed that ocean yacht's mfg has the slopping front too on most of there boat's. haveing pacemaker root's i thought they were lessoning the window's rather then update design, i'm guessin they came to grip's with that though and have since corrected the issue.although i really do enjoy my job, i'll tell ya i really wish i had gotten into boating sooner, i would have much rather spent the last few year's rehabing these old bugger's as to plumbing, the knee's and back might be in a little better shape, and i know i would feel a much greater sense accomplishment had been met. i'm kind of hoping the future hold's something in that area for me,some guy's like rebuilding old car's, I'd love to tackle old pace's, but for now just greatfull to be a part of this whole thing.really need to learn more about these dang computer's, drive's me nut's trying to do thing's on here.it's not the instruction's i just cant grasp it, i'm hoping my kiddo might be able to help me out this weekend in understanding some of this.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, I wish I could go back to when I was a kid and change my direction so that I started with boating. I went from High School into the navy, then to college and finally working with chemicals all day.
My one true love in life (besides my family of course) is boating. I am happy just sitting and relaxing or riding out choppy seas. I take great pleasure in restoring old boats and these Pacemakers are better than most new boats built today. I posted a while back on adkers site about my feelings for the newer boats and how thin the hulls are etc. Its as if they are designed to be thrown away after awhile. The pacemakers were built to last forever. My boat had sat for 10 years and the hull was as solid as the day it was made. Sure I had the leaky windows and bad wiring, but the hull and floor were in fantastic shape.
I realized why when I went to put in the pump-out fitting for my new head and had to keep stopping and removeing the disk from my hole saw. After I did this twice, I then had to take a piece of threaded rod and extend the length of the shaft because my drill motor was hitting the deck and I still hadnt cut all the way through. The pacemakers were built around a core with the fiberglass applied on both sides resulting in hull thicknesses over 2 inches thick. The newer boats are lucky if they are 1 inch thick
The other boat I was thinking of is a 74 (not a 73) and its in NJ. Owner says it needs 2 new motors. He had taken the flybridge off for road transport, but he wants $10500 (or best offer) for it. Adding the cost for new engines and transport over the road (wide load, permits for NJ, NY and CT) makes it too expensive since any hauler could not go over the GW or Tapanzee bridge to get the boat to CT where I live.
I went down to the club where ny boat is being stored and there is a Pacemaker tied up at one of the docks. I was told the owner is storing her there for the winter, The boats called Pegasus and hopefully I can meet the owner and swap ideas and stories before the boat leaves in the spring
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry, I think I can throw some light on the differences in the front cowlings on our boats, everything I've seen below 1974 has the type like Overdue, and from 74 up the cowling is like yours. My new 74 is a 31 but the cowling is shaped like yours and the front deck is flatter and much easier to walk on than my old boat. Now watch someone come up with a younger boat and throw my theory down the drain..LOL.Oh and my new one is a pacemaker not an alglas. The old pacemaker plant is less than 5 miles away from me and still has the name barely visible on the water tower, I pass it when we go up the Mullica river to a certain restaurant for dinner or something. It's been taken over by an outfit called Cavileer and their putting out cruisers in the 40 to 50 plus range. I think that their is another outfit in there working with them doing re-constructs and things because the place is very large.Most of the people that used to work in the old pace plant that are still working are in the Viking Yacht plant down the road from me or in one or two of the other boats plants still in NJ. I think the last pace was an 89' so it's been near 20 years, so I don't think there are too many still around that were real knowledgeable and are still working. I know a forman at the Viking plant real well , he 's a neighbor of mine , next time I see him I'll ask if he knows anything about the old company I know he's been with Viking for at least 30 years now and he's lived around here all his life so he must know something,plus he's a boat nut too boot. BTW, nice comparison on the two boats earlier, but you made the wrong pick for me, I like the other boat better than mine, has a sleeker look to it, but I still think it has to do with the build year, I'm going to look at the pics of my 31 and see if I can get them on here. Phil placko's boat is a 71, mine is a 72 and Shawns is a 72 ( looks just like mine and Phils ) and I think you said yours is a 74? Am I right so far ? Maybe we'll try to figure this thing out during the down season like you said, OH, is that guy that wants to sell that engine less boat from this planet? Or am I missing something like it's been totally rebuilt , and is full of electronics?and he's going to deliver it to you too! Talk to you later...Leo PS --What a dope I already posted the new boat pics under OUR TURN in the photo section, take a look Terry and see what I mean .also If you had a more broadside prospective of my old boat you would see that there's more of a difference than just the cowling, from my front hatch to the bottom of the cowling is about 7 ft. long and the other boat only looks to be about 4ft. the closer I look at it the more differences I can see . I'm going to see if I have a better broadside of Overdue and you'll see what I mean. My cowling runs up at almost a 90 degree angle, look at it in relation to the canvas top.That other boat seems to have a much more gradual slope to it and that would account for the shorter distance to the front hatch. Boy ., talk about being long winded, sorry. I'm lonely and I don't feel like getting back to remodeling the kitchen, that's the real reason. C ya...
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of how well made these boats are! Got one of the best complements I think a boat can get! From the yard crew that lifts over 300 boats a season! "i just can't believe this boat it never even creaks when we pick her up, the new boats look like they are going to snap in half" Well yea! they don't build them like this anymore! The dock hands really love it and take plenty of time making sure it is all cleaned up! Had a 2000 40' Ocean crack this season when pulled - No surprize there!

seasons graatings

Mike -
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boattraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/6/1/6/85946116.htm

Leo, you can check out the ad with the link above.The boat is in Burlington NJ

Mike, Like I said Pacemaker built their boats to last a lifteime and then some. Probably why they went out of business, the owners didnt have to buy a new boat as often because the paces didnt wear out like the new one do
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, I think the differences in length are just from the pics. My 74 has a longer front than the top boat seems to have and its the same as mine.
The new pace at my club is more like Mikes and I want to talk to the guy because he has put some kind of storm windows on it and it looks like they have to be removed to open the windows. He has mounted plexiglass around the windows and then took teak strips and screwed them around the edges of the plexiglass to hold it in place. I want to see the inside of his boat for ideas, but never seem to be there when the owner is there
maybe this weekend.....
Terry
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Terry, I looked at that boat , I still think it's way overpriced.,for a handy man special, he needs to lose one of the digits in that number. I know you're looking for more room and I'm still betting that spring will bring a whole host of new old boats to the buyers market. If you could pick up a 31 like the one I got, you'd have all the room you would ever need. I'll keep a look out for you ,if I see anything interesting I'll let you know. The one I have now is over 3 times the interior space of the 28'.
I still haven't seen a boat below the year of 74 with a front like yours, but I'll keep looking.C ya later...Leo
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea! I would have to agree unless the interior is in excellent condition which I dough! Seeing that most 33 footers in running condition are running between low to mid twenties - Engines, transportation and re-comissioning - never mind any restoration would bring it to the mid thirdies at the asking price - One thing to look at when buying an older boat to fix up is the current sale price of sisterships in running condition -

Mike - Rolling Eyes
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I couldnt agree more. Thats why I bought the one I got now, the asking price was $700, With everything I've put into her, Its up to $9000, still below what she's worth.
I really dont have to buy a new boat, but I always am looking, if one happens to come along, and the price is right, I'll grab it.
The Changeofpace is a good boat, handles well, has all new mechanicals and should keep me boating for a long time.
I have been tinkering with the idea of remodeling the inside by removing the storage area in the front port side, Leo this is the area where the 2 bunks are (I'll see if I have a picture and post). If I cut this down even with the bottom bunk, then I can turn the bow into a forward stateroom big enough for me and the Admiral to sleep in and then my son can sleep on the couch and his friends can sleep on the drop down dinette.
I would convert the top bunk into storage or mount a tv or stereo there
Still trying to picture it in my head and see if its worth doing, so for now, just dreaming!!
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough attempt to visualize what I want to do. Before on left, after on right, I'm not great with photoshop, but you should get the idea
leokow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry, I think your talking about the area directly forward of the rear bulkhead of the head,right? With the 2 berths on the starboard side.. ON overdue there was just a top shelf type of space (good for nothing) and two closets below that, up to the rope locker.Then opposite that were the two bunks. On overdue the previous owner put a Lectrosan unit in the first closet area, so that killed that area for me,and the second most forward space was full of junk, I kept extra life jackets in there. Now presuming that were talking about the same area, I don't see why you couldn't turn the entire forward area into a large berth. If you have a holding tank now you could put it in the center area where you now walk and have the top lift up so you could get access to it.Then you could extend the lower bunk to come all the way across to the port side in 3 separate pieces . I'm concerned about the flexing of the hull when you remove the two verticle bulkheads that enclose the storage spaces now ,but if you put a horizontal bunk in like the starboard side it should put the strength back in. After all , if it works on the starboard side it should work on the port side the same way. It sounds like a good idea and it'll give you what you want, more space, without having to look into another boat and all the unknowns that will come with it. I have to be truthful, I still have mixed feelings about changing boats,Overdue was like a second home to me,I really felt comfortable on her,no matter what I ran into. Maybe , it's just that I haven't been on the new one very much and haven't had a chance to let her grow on me, I guess I should give it more of a chance to win me over. I got the price for changing the cooling system over from raw to fresh water cooling, $1286.11 each engine with me doing the work, nice way to start off, huh ? I guess if I want to save these engines for any length of time I'll have to do it this spring, BTW, I checked with crusader and even though the engines say Model 220 , they are 350 cu.in. and 270 HP, so that eliminates all the questions I had about the performance of the boat compared to overdue. I was re-reading the guys add that I bought the boat from , it's on the old site and I was amused at all the things that he said were NEW. I think he wrote the add 3 years ago and just posted it now because you could see from the condition of everything that the boat hadn't been used very much for the past two seasons.It took a lot of work to clean it up and get rid of all the junk that had been accumulated on board. I can't understand why someone would remove a bad part and then keep it in a drawer when they were finished, I must have throw away 2 hundred pounds of old parts and things. Oh well, enough bull for now , hope things are going well for you and the family , talk to you later...Leo
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly where I was talking about. If you click the pic in my post above it will get a little bigger and you can see where I whited out the shelf and added the sections for bedding.
I would leave the bottom section because I would still have the old inlet and outlet for from the old head. I also have the y valve and macerator pump mounted there. I also felt that the strenght of the hull shouldnt be compromised by duplicating the support system used on the stbd side.
I also keep some life jackets and bumpers stored in the front locker, so I will lose some storage, but that area is wasted space. If I convert the lower bunk into a full bunk, I think I can then convert the old upper bunk into a combination storage and entertainment center. I plan on moving the life jackets out to the port side locker where the fuel fill lines comes down to the port tank. I still have some starboard left from the window job and I going to measure and see if I can box this in and convert that area into storage
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a winner to me, I can already hear the machinery running !
If the weather stays like this much longer it's going to make me sorry that I started to remodel the kitchen at home instead of working on the boat.Actually , I had to promise the other half that the kitchen would be finished before I did anything to the boat and she's been pretty good about everything so I will keep my promise, the only thing wrong is I can't clean up and go home from this job like I can on others,I'm a captive in my own house !.Sea ya later...Leo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: