Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yet another overheating problem!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
sorry I haven't been posting much lately, I've been plagued by a trapped sciatic nerve for the last few months which has slowed me down some.

The overheating problem is still there, but at least it's consistent which means I can more or less cope with it, it's not ideal by any means but it doesn't look like it's going away any time soon!

Fishing has been a bit slow lately too, not to mention any countries, but a very near neighbour of ours insists on fishing in our waters and using drift nets and longlines, so not a lot of fish left!! We tried a bit of giant bluefin tuna fishing too but numbers are down in the Strait and we weren't one of the lucky ones this year. Never mind, as far as I'm concerned every minute out in the boat is a joy, still .......... one decent fish!!
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

Sorry to hear about your sciatic nerve problem and I hope that you get well soon.

On the fishing front: In my opinion, the conseration our our fish stocks is everyone's concern and that includes all countries. The world leader's should have a summit and work out treaties that are fair to all and all countries must respect each other's territorial waters. Consequences for failure to adhere to the treaties should be the seizure and forfiture of their boats and if it is condoned by their country, world economic sanctions must be imposed.

Now off my soap box. One day out of the blue, I am sure that a solution will be found for the overheating problem.

John
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to touch base, been a while! Had a thought... my saltwater strainer has a fairly fine mesh and I'm finding that it gets clogged up very quickly with very fine weed or some kind of floating stuff we seem to get around here.

My question is, does the saltwater system really need to be so finely filtered. I'm thinking of either trying to replace the strainer with one that has bigger holes or drilling some in the plastic. Hope all is well with everyone.

It's probably already been around for a while, but this makes me smile at this time of year!

http://gpsinformation.info/main/merryxmas.swf
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

I would not suggest that you make any changes in the strainer! All you will do is allow all that stuff to plug up the internal engine cooling ports thaen you will have a bigger issue!

Mike - Crying or Very sad
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Overheating sorted! Reply with quote

I'm hoping that this site has not completely died and that some brave diehards still occasionally pop in for a browse!

I know that I have received fantastic help and advice from many members in the past..... anyway... couple of years late with the reply but here goes. Turns out the saltwater pump was basically worn out, the part behind the impeller had some nasty grooves and also some wearing on the rest of the pump. It didn't look too bad at the time and I never imagined it would have the effect it obviously did. it simply wasn't able to cope with the lack of suction. I bit the bullet and bought a new generic pump and all the problems disappeared! Wonderful! Not a degree over 87 since.

And so, onto the next problem, they never seem to go away do they! This one is really winding me up, I've just spent a shedload of money I didn't really have hauling the boat out, clean and paint, replacing some knackered bearings on the outdrive, changing all the filters etc, you know the full monty, everything was fine for about a week, I was reaching speeds never before imagined, the revs got to where they were supposed to, no overheating.....heaven!

The latest problem is this: on my engine, a Volvo Penta KAD32, when you accelerate, a compressor kicks in at 2,000 revs up 'till it gets to 3,000 revs when the turbo kicks in and takes it on from there up to around 3,200 which has become my cruising speed. Now however, it does all this but only stays at 3,200 for a minute or so before losing all power. I have the compressor on a manual switch, due to not being able to afford VP's ridiculous charges for a relay that burnt out, this works well, except that now I have to keep pressing the switch as soon as the revs start to drop to keep on the plane.

I'm pretty sure the compressor should only be used briefly to bridge the gap between idle and cruise and not constantly, (this really is a silly engine) so I reckon it won't be long before I wreck it.

In my somewhat mechanically ignorant mind the only things that I can think may be the problem are either the turbo is knackered or fuel is not getting through enough. Incidentally, occasionally when I keep insisting with the compressor to max revs. (about 3,500) something seems to happen and then it all works fine!

Any and all suggestions gratefully received, hopefully it's something easy to fix!

Thanks in advance, Adrian.
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrian -

Yes some of us die hards are still around! Have your mechanic check the boost pressure on the turbo sounds like a sticky waste gate valve to me! This valve keeps the turbo from over boosting the engine it is suppose to bleed off the exhaust pressure of the turbo to match the engine RPM! Sounds to me like it is sticking open instead of closing as the RPM is increased! Which is a common problem with the waste gate valve!

By the way yes the raw water pump housing needs to be absolutely smooth no sand lines or rough surfaces where the impeller vanes touch the housing! One check is to run your finger nail from the inner housing to where the cap is! If your finger nail sticks anywhere the housing is shot!

One issue here is that usually the pumps are mounted as close to the water line as possible so that there is no lift required (suction)! In other words, if you remove the inlet hose on the pump with the hull fitting open water will rush in! If it does not then the pump must lift (suck) the water from that point to the pump! If the impeller vanes are not making complete contact against the pump housing lifting the air is going to be difficult! Remember that the impeller is water lubricated and cooled so spinning in air is not going to be helpful to the impeller!

Good Luck - Let us know!!

Mike -
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
glad to se you're still here! I will investigate the turbo as you suggested though I will have a look myself first, just need to get hold of a workshop manual from somewhere. I don't suppose there's a site somewhere that one could download a copy from? I think you may be right, it's that sort of intermittent problem that a sticky valve would cause.

I wish I had posted a picture of the insides of my pump at the time, I suspect that you would have solved the problem instantly then!

Anyway thanks again and I shall keep you posted of any results.

All the best

A
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrian -

Post the exact volvo engine type and serial number, I will see if I can find anything!

Look where the exhuast header makes contact with the turbo you will be close to the waste gate!

It is most likely that rusty thing on the exhaust side of the turbo!

Mike -
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, the serial number was "mysteriously" scratched out by the dealer who sold it to me as a recon engine, it turns out to actually have been a badly repainted engine instead! Since then I've had to several times flush out the freshwater cooling system, replace alternator, replace saltwater pump, replace freshwater pump, replace starter motor etc, etc!! Still all water under the hull now!

The engine is a Volvo penta KAD32P four cylinder diesel, that I'm afraid is all the info I have on it. I have a schematic drawing of the area on a PDF but I'm not sure how to get it to you, actually, perhaps this link will work:

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/VP_Schematics/DIESEL/KAD32P_TAMD42WJ_KAD43P-44P-300/INTAKE%20&%20EXHAUST%20SYSTEM/Induction%20and%20Exhaust%20Manifold.pdf

In any case I will give it the once over tomorrow!

Thanks Mike.
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrian -

Found a workshop manual go here ->
http://www.filemirrors.info/index.php?q=Volvo+Penta+KAD+32+Workshop+Manual.pdf&search=Search

Now did a little research Forget what I was saying before about the waste gate valve seems Volvo attacked the problem from a different direction!

Volvo purposely under boosts the the turbo so there is no need for the waste gate valve! Next it seems the turbo does not develop enough boost until about 2800 RPM! The blower seems to provide boost on the low end of the RPM scale 1200 to 2800RPM then kicks out and lets the turbo do its thing from 2800 to WOT. Kind of a funny system but I guess it must work!

There seems to be a air inlet backflow valve between the output of the blower and turbo! This valve is to be closed tight when the turbo is running! If it is not you will have a loss in boost from the turbo! Might want to check this gizmo!

From what I have read this setup is problematic and causes problems when running at just about idle! Seems the blower can not make up its mind to stay ingaged or not! Like when trolling in seas of 2 to 3 feet! There also rather expensive to fix the turbo service kit with core is over $2000.00 WOW!!!!!

Volvo is not shy about charging!

Hope this helps!

Mike - Rolling Eyes
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Mike I thought you were gone from this site. I occasionally check in but until now, there hasnt been any action
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: not gone Reply with quote

No I check in once in a while to see what is going on, not much!

Mike Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: