Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GIVE ME A BREAK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: GIVE ME A BREAK Reply with quote

Saturday, 10/25/2008: First Saturday off this month. Promised my wife that I would help her set up and pack up at a craft fair on Sunday, because I would be out fishing on Saturday and she hardly asks for anything. Current weather conditions: Wind SSE @ 22mph, gusts to 30. Chance of rain, 100% with thunder storms.

Skunked at the dock,
John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we have high winds with gusts to 30 - 40 MPH here also John. I spent the day ripping out sheet rock at my Mother-in-laws house, now tomorrow I gotta go back and finish up and then clean up. Drove by the boat on the way home and saw that it had been shrink wrapped, gotta see how much I owe for it since I havent gotten a bill yet
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

I spent my day getting caught up on chores around here. I hate to say it, but I am planning on pulling the Wahoo on Election Day. A little earlier than I planned, but it may be my only break.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today looks like its going to be a nice day, after I finish at the M-I-L's house, I will stop by and see if anyone is fishing or planning on a late day run that I can hook up with. Will check in later with results
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, it is a beautiful day. Just got back from dropping stuff off for my wife and helped her set up. The best part is that it is close by. The thought crossed my mind about going out, but I have to be back around 2:00 to help pack up and we have an Oktober Fest at 5:00. Good luck if you get out and let us know how the fishing in your area is going. In the Barnegat Bay area the word is Stripers and Big Blues outside.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see there are at least 2 people alive and well and TRYING get some fishing in before the ice comes. I'm not ready to give up yet , I've been tied up lately with the usual medical things only now I still have my daughter and the uncle that I live with here in NJ, just had back surgery on friday, God bless him at 81, but hopefully by Monday he'll be back home and I can help him get back on his feet. Now if we can just get a few days of decent weather after he can get around the house a little better on his own I will try to get a nice one this year.I'm hoping !
Have either of you guys tried to eat ling ? We caught a bunch of them last week, along with some big croakers and a few sea bass,good God, I wish I had kept all of those singles that I caught on different trips out on the reefs, also has been a scarcity of porgies, keeper size anyway.
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

I never had Ling. It seems that whenever we caught ling, we were targeting another species and I never kept any. Come to think of it my father always refered to them as trash fish, so none were ever kept. We would catch ling when we caught whiting, and we would trade at a fish market, 2 fresh for 1 smoked whiting.
I wish good health and a speedy recovery to your uncle and the rest of the family.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John..no wonder the guy would give you 2 for 1....I've been tossing them back for years, thinking they were junk fish , but they are really a form of cod , really called "ling cod",and they are trully a great , mild tasting, white, white fleshy meat , that I rank right up there with fluke. They are usually a cold water fish and when you're getting them you don't get fluke. Also you are right , they are normally caught when you're fishing for something else. After that last batch we cooked up , I will be making a few trips out to the reef to see if I can pick up a few more, the Admiral , who was with me on the last trip though that they were funny looking and should toss them back, now it's " When are you going to get some of those funny looking fish again ?" I seem to remember long ago that some boats use to advertise LING as their main target along with cod in the late winter or early spring. That was during the years when the stripers were gone. Thank you for the well wishes and hope you had a good weekend...Leo
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to the club but no one was going out Crying or Very sad I watched a few guys clean their boats and just hung out for a little while. Never ate ling that I knew of, maybe when it was sold as something else who knows. Leo, Hope all is getting better. I'm trying to fix a room up so someone can live with my Mother-in-law since she is getting forgetful (she's 8Cool she locked herself out of her house 2 times in one week, so now she cant come home unless she can have 24 hour care. How is your daughter doing, she must be sick of surgeries by now, Is she keeping her spirits up or does she another booster shot form edible arrangements? LOL!!! Seriously, I hope things can work out for her, your uncle, and you.
rebait

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, you are right about the party boats advertising for ling, but most of them advertised as ling and whiting. I am going to have to try them.
Terry, lot's of luck with your Mother in law. I had mine for a number of years after she had a couple of strokes and it was not easy. I wish her the best and it is a frustrating time for her and a trying time for the rest of the family. My Mother is at that age also and she is doing really well.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, I hope that we can find someone that she is comfortable with so she can continue to live at her home. She called us sat. morning confused, didnt know where she was and thought someone had stolen her car (she hasn't had a car for 10 years)he is also from the old school and has no problem using the "N" word to describe her care givers a fact that is sometimes very embarrassing as she does this very loudly. My biggest fear is that she wont remember who the care giver we find for her is since her mind is going. Funny thing is her long term memory is great its her short term memory that's bad.
Well, lets talk about fishing, with the rain falling and the wind this week, it looks like my fishing is at an end as the club where my boat is stored has an all boats out by Nov. 1 rule Sad
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well , it looks like thurs. nites cold front and iced up windshields put an end to the lagoon fishing. I haven't seen anything alive in that water since the cold front, so now I guess any fishing will have to be done out on the ocean front or on the reefs. It was beautiful weather on sat. and sun. but I was tied up with my uncle in the hosp.,and since I've brought him home on monday it's been noreaster time and it just won't quit. I really don't like that rule that your marina has about all boats out by Nov. 1st..I mean some of our best striper fishing is in nov. and dec., what a shame to miss out on that. Unless your stripers have mostly moved south by that time.
In any case guys, lets try to keep on talking thru the holidays at least,so we can try to keep this site open.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nov. 1st rule was made so that all of the water could be shut off on the docks. We have already had ice here in the mornings. Another reason is that there are only a few of us that end up pulling the boats and the water is COLD!!!! So far this year, 108 boats have been pulled by us using 2 trailers and 2 - 5 man teams. 1 driver, 1 on the controls and 3 to keep control of the boat as its pulled over to the trailer. Then its 2 guys under the boat with the blocking, 2 guys with the stands. As you can imagine, pulling the boats here is a lot of work and with our ramp, we can pull boats from 1 hour before to 1 hour after high tide so we have to move fast, that's why we use 2 teams. In Sept., 15 boats might have been pulled, in the beginning of Oct another 20 boats pulled and in the last week over 70 boats pulled. Since we are a private club we do it all ourselves. A few of the admirals are usually around with hot food, coffee and such but I'll tell you its still a dirty cold job especially if you are diving under to set-up the blocking. When we run out of water its time to warm up in the club and have a hot snack and cold brew!! while listening to tall tales of fish lost and dumb things done. Kind of makes it worth it. It also doesn't hurt to help with the pulling since you can see when the good spots for winter storage are being filled and can slip in your boat without any complaints from the other guys hauling with you!!!
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Terry, it all makes perfect sense to me now, doing everything manually rather than with open ended lifts and being able to do it at any tide makes a world of difference. If I should ever be in a pposition of power I would strongly try for a rule change , say Oct.1st. LOL
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how the Nov. 1 rule makes sense, mainly for the water freezing and it seems the colder or later into the season it gets, the less people show up to work. They seem to figure that if they are winterized, they are done and the guy, even if he helped them and still wants to fish, he is on his own. This year I am planning on winter storing The Wahoo at a local marina instead of having it hauled home. It costs me $150 to have the boat hauled each way. He is charging me $12 a foot which comes to $312 and that includes in and out and I told him that I have the blocks. I have known him for a number of years. I launch The Dixie and buy most of my bait and supplies from him. The best part is that I don't have to deal with the leaves from the big oak trees at my house. I hate to say this but I may be out in a couple of weeks and that will end my fishing also.

John
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday, November 2,2008: My son and I both worked on Saturday. After work we both went down to the boat just at sunset. Weather: could not be nicer. Problem: we promised my wife that we would help them unload the freezers at her ice cream shop and put the ice cream in the shock box (the big freezer) so that they could defrost the freezers. Sunday Morning: Wind NE @ 19mph, tide dead low, we promised my wife that we would be back @ 10:00 to load the freezers. If we get caught up with our chores today, I may try to grab the out going tide this afternoon, but I am looking at the wind and it seems that it just increased. I noticed that my neighbors that fish are home also. A friend of mine went out yesterday, and all they caught were bluefish. Question: Pull the boat on Tuesday or go for that last trip and get that 50lb plus striper (boy am I dreaming, biggest one that I had was 18lbs).

John
leokow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John...I fished yesterday in the afternoon with my neighbor and nothing but slammer blues all thruout L E Inlet. At the slack tide everything slowed down, but there were some big stripers caught ,the largest weigh in at Scotts was a 40 # nice fish. We got nothing but blues, the ocean conditions in the inlet were perfect. We decided to go back to the dock and rest up for a couple of hours then fish the the outgoing evening tide. Ocean was still just perfect even in the inlet, only this time I also took the admiral with us, I really wanted her to hook into a big blue or striper, just to show her that there was a little difference between fluke , weakies and the tough guys with teeth and the pajama mama's . The fish Gods changed there minds from the bite we had in the afternoon and decided not to hit at all in the evening, so we decided to leave just before it got too dark to navigate around Holgate ,the fishouse and those little islands in the dark at dead low tide.. Going across great bay between the fishouse and osborn Island there is a beer barrel marker buoy that marks a narrow channel that keeps you clear of a hard bottom shoal that sticks out from the fishouse, once past that buoy the water stays around 4 or 5 ft. all the way to my Island. What I didn't realize was that those northeasters we've had for the past couple of days and extra hi tides picked up that barrell and moved it about 100 yds. towards the fishouse, now normally I would have stayed out there until after dark and returning wouldn't have posed a problem, as I would have followed my chart plotter back to the dock, however the Admiral was cold and bored and wanted to quit and to be honest it didn't take much arm twisting to convince us to cut it short and go back at dusk. So when I made the turn around the fishouse into great bay it was still light enough to look for the barrell and run the course by eye, big mistake !!! It's only a couple of hundred yard run to go from the little island next to the fishouse to the ball then all is well, it doesn't take too long to cover that distance at 22 knts. so by the time I looked at my plotter and saw we were off course and reached for the throttles and turn the wheel to starboard the boat came to a real sudden STOP. What a sick feeling in your stomach when you her that rotten sound. By the time we got off the shoal point we got to realize we missed by a single boat width, 12 lousy ft. to starboard and all would have been fine. Now I have to check out the damage to the props, shafts and struts, port seems to be ok, but starboard definitely has a problem. I got banged up arms, shoulders and some other odd and end cuts, Bob my neighbor came out fine and the Admiral who decided to ride back in the cabin really took a beating , she got thrown over the dinette table top and all the way forward to the bunks, then the table ,and just about everything else in the rear of the boat landed on top of her in the bow section, she spent the entire day today with heat and cold packs in bed and calling me some words in another language, I think, because I don't remember hearing them before.LOL It could have been worse, but I still felt really bad that she got hurt,and I feel kind of guilty because we made the afternoon fishing trip sound so good that all she wanted to do was get back out there. Well , now it's back to repairing a boat that didn't have a anything wrong with it , other than cosmetic dings and dangs. I can't really blame the boat for something that was entirely my fault, there's a thousand dollars of electronics right in front of my face annd just because it was a little light out , I decided not to use it and run by eye. Had we been going out instead of in I would have had more time to discover the ball had been moved because just glancing at the plotter would have told me we were off course and I could have had a dozen chances to correct it., But , as usual, big problems come from a series of small errors combining together to make a big one.. So now it's 20 lashes with a wet eel to teach me what is going to be an expensive lesson. Thanks for letting me vent and I'm sure Terry's is getting a chuckle out of this one. I'll talk to you guys later, this seasons fishing for OUR TURN is oficially OVER>...Leo
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

All that I have to say is OUCH. I wish her a speedy recovery and hope that she feels better and that the damage is minimal to OUR TURN. A good friend of mine did something very similar to his inboard Rickborn back in July. We laugh about it now, but it wasn't funny then. One reason why I did not go out this morning was that the tide was real low and the channel in the creek is pretty narrow with markers that have been hit and barrels that sometimes move. I kept an eye on the Bay today and I did not see or hear a single boat. Last night it was beautiful, the tide was very low and if I did not have to help my wife, I probably would have gone out to catch the incoming tide, and I may have hit bottom or caught a "lost" crab trap, line or chain ( I have "found" all 3). The best had to be in 1978, fishing Raritan Bay with my 25' Eastern Sea Skiff. It was was my Father, his buddy Leo, my buddy Toby and myself, in November going striper fishing. As I was running out, I heard a thud. I pulled back the throttle, put it in neutral, and let it idle. We knew we hit something, maybe a log or piling floating under the surface. Put it back in gear and thud, thud, etc and as I accelerated a BIG vibration. I tried putting it in reverse, in case I picked up a line. We turned back to the marina and had it hauled to see what the problem was. It turned out to be a tire tube. What a relief, besides a few bluefish, that was all that we caught that day.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, sorry to hear about the grounding. Hopefully its just a bent prop and not the strut. The fact that you are not taking on water isnt too bad but I would pull the boat just in case you exposed some fiberglass. Nothing to laugh at when something like that happens. One question Leo, were you running the chartplotter in route mode or just using the map functions? Mine has alarms for when I'm near areas that could be dangerous (Proximity alarms) and I can set alarms for waypoints so that I dont have to look at the plotter. My channel into the river is narrow and if you drift out of it it will cost you at least a prop (voice of experience here). Hope the boat isnt too bad and the admiral will forgive you in time ( Christmas is coming, so a nice EXPENSIVE present always wipes the slate clean!!!)
Terry
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

Please give my best to Marie(and wishes for a speedy recovery). Hopefully you have a change of luck and its nothing major with the boat.

Shawn
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the sympathy , fellas, I really needed it today ! The Admiral has forgiven me for yesterdays mishap and also for not returning to Phila. tonite for tomorrows DR. appointment. I just couldn't sit around and not determine wether the trans. suffered some damage or if it was just isolated to the lower metal work, so I worked later than I expected too, and separated the shaft from the trans, and fired her up hoping not to her the bells and whistles that I heard last night when everything was still connected. Well, got her all disconnected ,checked the fluid and topped it off and fired her up. Then put on that long sad face and shut her down cleaned up and got ready for the Philly trip, too tired to do it tonite so early in the morning will have to do. Oh yeah, at least I know I have to either rebuild or replace the starboard trans.,it's dying.When I get back on Wed. I'll put her back together and weather permitting , I'll run her around to the marina and put her into a temporary slip and wait for it to be pulled so I can see what else is torn up below. Like Terry says, no water leaks,so at least one thing is going in my favor. Shame I sold both transmissions fron OVERDUE last summer, I could sure use a drive train now, and I bet I sold it for a whole lot less than I can buy one for !! The luck of the Italian/Pollock just rolls along!!LOL.Has anyone rebuilt one of these 71 C velvet drives, it performes ok, forward, reverse, just sounds like some bearings are squealing at lower RPM and a few rattles when switching from forward to reverse. I just realized I am posting this on the fishing site , anyone with any ideas we'll switch to the mechanical site, sorry...
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November 16, 2008: Been busy the last couple of weeks and the weather did not help. Cabin fever got me this morning. I knew that with wind gusts to 31mph I was not going to run the inlet for stripers. My son and I decided to take The Wahoo out for a cruise, mainly to torgue up a guy in the marina next to me with a 27' Polar center console. (He likes to brag and the funny part is that we went on a charter in the Grand Turks on the identical boat and it performed horrible compared to The Wahoo) We loaded our trolling rods along with our spinng and casting rods, in case we came across readings or birds working in the bay. My neighbor Bill went with us to just get away. We left about 9 am and returned around 11. As I pulled up to the slip, it just so happened that Mr Big Mouth was there. As I am backing in, he started talking to my son and Bill. Bill told him that we went outside, trolled up to the Seaside ferris wheel, caught and released 7 bass to 37" and lost track on the number of bluefish. In reality, we never left the bay, never wet a line, but cruised up the Toms River and a nice ride to the Inlet and back. The look on Mr Big Mouth's face was worth the little white lie. Bill told him that The Wahoo took the Inlet like a tropper and that nobody else was in sight. I just said, "Good morning." , packed up our gear and left. We laughed all the way home. The biggest fish we caught all year, we caught using his own bs.

Tight Lines,

John
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Fish Stories Reply with quote

John -

Now that is a fish story! You have no mercy on Mr. Big Mouth! Serves him right!

Mike - Twisted Evil
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I am supposed to be off Saturday and Sunday. The weatherman says low 22 with a high of 38 on Sat. and a low of 28 and a high of 42 on Sunday. The Wahoo is very cold and sometimes I wish that I had a cabin. I gave a lot of thought to enclosing the T Top area with eisenglass. We are playing it by ear to decide to go out or not. The boat may come out in 2 weeks. Depends on the weather.

John
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday, November 22: Temp 23, Wind NNW @ 9 with sustained gusts to 24mph. Whimped out, never left the dock.

John
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I winterized last weekend, after seeing the forecast I'm glad I did. Big change from last year. I was fishing on thanksgiving then.

Have a safe and happy holiday season.

Shawn
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday, Nov. 23: Was hoping to get out today. Had a flu shot the other day, and sometimes when I get one, I wind up feeling lousy a couple of days later. Today was the day. Looking to go Thanksgiving morning. We are having dinner at my wife's sister's house and my sister in law wants me to take my brother in law to get him out of her way. I love my family, always looking to make me go fishing.
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, been away for a little while, no sense explaining , same old story, involving DRs. and stuff. Now got back to the island to see
what could be done with the boat. Port side drive train seems to have survived the crash. Starboard side not so fortunate,anyway I'll get into it in the mech. area. BTW, Terry the admiral saw your nice little post about nice expensive presents making problems go away especially at christmas time.. Thank you Pal, I have to go pick up the CAR on the 18 of Dec. !!I wonder if I can add the cost of it to the damaged parts and use the ins. Ha ! fat chance !!
Striper season is off to a really slow start but is picking up very nicely in the early mornings near the beaches, then usually the blues come and foul everything up. also the reefs seem to be picking up nicely with a mix of black bass, porgies,and some ling, although on the small side. See you over in the mech. section.
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanksgiving, 11-27-2008: First off, Happy Thanksgiving. Took my brother in law out for some trolling. Beautiful morning. We caught Big Blues. No stripers. Had a lot of laughs. Time for the turkey at my sister in laws. This is probably my last trip for the season. Work tomorrow, family commitments on Saturday and time to start my winter hobby on Sunday by attending a train show in Edison. I have my O gauge railroad to run and ready the Holiday display around the tree. The Wahoo is being pulled next weekend.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like another fishing season is gone in to the books.. Hoping next year's season is bigger and better for all..LEO and hope you all had a wonderful thanksgiving Day !!
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

You are right, another fishing season comes to an end. Time to go over the old tackle and make the wish list for next year. Christmas is coming.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: