Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Late 80's Pacemakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fiberglass Pacemakers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Late 80's Pacemakers Reply with quote

Hey Guys, I stumbled on a nice 1989 31 foot Pacemaker thats pretty local to me in Portland CT. Right now, the price is pretty low and the boat is supposed to be in running condition with older radar and electronics but all in all it doesnt look too bad (its on EBAY). I dont know how the later Pacemakers compare to my 74 Pacemaker and was wondering if any members had info on the positives and negatives of the later Paces. I am planning on making a trip up to inspect the boat since it offers a little more space and comfort than my 28 and should fit my slip with no problem.
How about it guys?
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first off I don't think it is a pacemaker 1989 is to late! It is really a Alglas sounds like one from Massachusetts North shore! Kind of sketchy on the particulars! If it is the one I am thinking about the previous name was something "Break" make dam sure that it has a clean title! There was something about a lean on the boat and has not sold for the past couple of years! Started at $50,000 moved several times then diappeared from the market. Most likely donated to some organization for a tax write off!

As for the boat it truely is not a heavy pacemaker hull like you are use too! Still a Nice layout for a 31 footer. The examples I remember where very air and open the only bulkhead was for the head enclosure. From the companion way into the cockpit you could see straight to the v-berth. This made the cabin look so much larger. In 1983 Alglas went to merc's from the traditional Crusaders. Still GM blocks small two barrel small block! That is destined for 350 vortec's. The boat weighed in at about 15,000 pounds, cruise was about 20 knots. Never tried one but have heard that the following sea attribubes left something to be desired. Also heard that engine alignment was an issue as the stringers where not that beefy! The fix is simple 6x3 angle iron bolted to the stringer fixes the issue!

Well that is what I know about the boat!

Mike - Wink
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Your memory seems to be correct, It is for sale with an agency that sells donated items for charity, I am waiting for a response on the lien and title before I go and look at it. Its about 30 minutes from my house
here is a pic of the back with its name just like you thought!!!
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I just ran a boat history report on the Hull number and it came up clean, no liens or damage reports, no salvage nothing. Says its a 1989 and that Quote follow:

The first three characters of the HIN you have entered, XFR, designate SEIDELMANN YACHTS as the manufacturer. However, the following makes are all of the same manufacturer:

· PACEMAKER / SEIDELMAN
· SEIDELMANN YACHTS
· S F C CORP
Boat history doesnt state anything about the title
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: More History Reply with quote

Hi Terry -

Found this article when searching for PACEMAKER/SEIDELMAN! Interesting as it adds in some history of the Pacemaker/Egg Harbor/Post Boats.

The article is long history about the Egg's but covers Pacemaker!

See http://www.eggharboryachts.com/article_boatdigest.shtml

Mike - Wink
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a contact number from the seller to call and arrange to see the boat. He claims to have a clear title to the boat but didnt answer my question about if there were any liens on the boat. I'm not sure but something seems funny about this boat. The boat history report stops in 2001, so What and where has the boat been since then?
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry -

You know I try to keep taps on Pacemakers in Mass. As I remember this boat has some financial issues with it! One of the owners was bailing out of bankruptcy! Be careful as Liens on boats travel with the boat! As I said early I remember this boat being priced at around $50,000 NOT LONG AGO! Look at ebay/motors/boat but could not find it when searching Pacemaker Boat. I am pretty sure this is the same boat I remember!

Mike -
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link, should bring you to the listing. There is a statement "Winner will then be responsible for any tax and license fees (including back fees, if applicable)"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110295477115&rd=1
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry -

That is it! "Station Break" I bet you the boat does not look like the pictures! As those photos I have seen years ago! Be careful buddy this one smells of problems you know what to look for!

I would check out the Works of Life Ministries as a 501 c3 non-profit and check with the better business bureau as to their business dealings. I have check several non-profit listings and they don't show up! Does not mean they are not but be sure they are valid 501c3.

This sounds like some one trying to be a religious non profit as the have special immunity to IRS audits.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Special Rules Limiting IRS Authority to Audit a Church

Tax Inquiries and Examinations of Churches
Congress has imposed special limitations, found in section 7611 of the Internal Revenue Code, on how and when the IRS may conduct civil tax inquiries and examinations of churches. The IRS may only initiate a church tax inquiry if the Director, Exempt Organizations Examinations, reasonably believes, based on a written statement of the facts and circumstances, that the organization: (a) may not qualify for the exemption; or (b) may not be paying tax on unrelated business or other taxable activity.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mike -
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: more searching Reply with quote

Terry

Been spending some time surfing around for "Works of Life Ministries" found this little tit-bit!

Mike

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
halebop wrote:

3 months ago i donated a boat/trailer to a charitable organization at which time i was informed that they would arrange free pick-up and i would get a tax deduction for the donation...i was instructed to mail the titles of ownership a donation slip and photos to a transportation company who would then schedule the pick-up within 5 business days...several weeks later i was informed that they had sold the items on e-bay and that the buyer would contact me to schedule the pick-up...another month passed with numerous phone calls on my behalf and nothing but excuses from the transport company and so called buyer...all the while i was expressing that my lease was going to be cancelled if i did not remove the boat/trailer from my place of residence...now i'm being told that the transport company will not pick-up the items unless they have the titles of ownership; the charitable organization stands behind the transport company and the so called buyer(claiming medical hardship) has asked me to sell the items and mail him a check...so i contacted the better business bureau in CA where the Works of Life Ministries/BoatswithCauses are said to be located and was informed that they have no record of such organization!
is this a scam or what? has anyone else had a similar experience?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um...duh?

Well, hopefully you've learned to check things out before you leap next time. Some of life's lessons are tough.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Mike, the thing smells funny. The boat history report shows the owner is located in West Hartford CT yet the phone number given is for Webster Mass and is for a companythat lists an apartment as part of its address. I think the owner in West Hartford is the finance company. The history report stops at 2001, the seller will not answer my question about liens, just gives me a phone number to call. I checked and with causes is a real charity that does sell donated cars and boats. They list boatswithcauses.com as their donation website and that site lists a different number. Could be legit but I am a little skeptic of the whole deal. They list another boat for sale in CT but have the bidder list blocked.
I think I will let this one go by, I'm not really in the market for another boat but kind of liked the layout of this one
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry -

Hey don't give up just be VERY careful might be a good purchase as the biding is low! Check it out take your time! You have enough experience to look at it and make the call check the engines, transmissions, fuel tanks, structure, and accessories. If you can get it cheap enough putting in some time and money it might be worth it! Look at it this way if you need to replace the drive train you can buy the two engines and transmissions for about $9000.00 and have the newest technology from Merc. So if you can get the boat for $2000.00 it is surely worth $11,000 after the drive train upgrade!

Just don't do what my neighbor did bought an older sea ray 27 wekender for $35,000 and ended up putting $11,000 engine package in now he is into the boat for more than it is worth!

The key is what can you buy the boat for, free and clear of liens!

Mike - Wink
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The liens are the big reason I am cautious. I dont know how to check the boat other than with boathistory.com and that site doesnt record financial liens only environmental ones. I think I could get the info from Mass or CT depending on where the boat was registered. The other thing that bothers me is the missing last 7 years in the history report. Where and what was the boat used or not used
rebait

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

I am very cautious before I buy anything. Unless you can be sure that there are no liens, I would not bid on it. Like Mike said and I agree, if the price is right you can always upgrade the engines and that Merc system is sweet. Next engine swap it is going to be a complete new Merc package.

John
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry -

If the boat was registried there is a record of liens. I don't see any numbers on the boat so it was most likey documented boat! The current name does not ring any bells at the coast guard site. Maybe had another name in its previous life!

Check here -> http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html

Mike -

Edited - Perhaps there is a number embossed on the stringer on the boat that is required by the CG!
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike there are CT registration numbers on the hull. so the boat was last registered here in CT. Now being a CT boater, I know that CT does not issue titles for boats, only a bill of sale. In order to register a boat here, you must have a bill of sale all the way back to the last registered owner or you can not register the boat. I ran into this problem with the Maxum I had. The guy I bought it from had bought it from an auction site and all I had was a bill of sale from him. When I went to register it, Motor Vehicles said no way, The bill of sale did not match their records. I had to go to the main office of the CT Dept. of Motor Vehicles and BUY (yes buy) the information from them for $20. Now I had the last recorded and registered owner for the boat and a nice new clean bill of sale to write his name and info on so that I could go downstairs and register the boat. This seller says he has a clean title for the boat. How could that be since no titles exist in CT????? What he has is a bill of sale which doesnt amount to much here if the boat has problems in another state or with liens. I could more than likely get the boat registered in my name but any attempt at insuring it would raise a red flag if there were outstanding liens. Since there is no way I could bring the boat down to my club without paperwork, I would need to register and insure it BEFORE I could move it. Reading the sellers feedback shows a complaint that another buyer of a boat from him had that he could not do that until after the boat was purchased. If true, then I would have to buy the boat, then try to register and insure it. Any red flags halts the whole process. The seller states 10 days free, then $10 per day storage after that. Doesnt state anything about responsibility if the boat can not be registered or moved due to outstanding bills and in fact they claim to not know the history of the boat so in fact there might be a hugh amount of financial liability attached to the boat. Too much about this boat just doesnt smell right to me so I.m gonna let this one go
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Done your homework! I wouldn't get into it either! I don't trust the organization that is trying to sell it! to much negative feedback! No real tangible lines of who they really are! Smells like rotten eggs to me to! A $100.00 and fill out a form and I can become a minister too! Let see how about the "Pacemaker ministries for mariners"!

Mike -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fiberglass Pacemakers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: