Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ocean Yacht/Egg Harbor boats/Pacemaker Boats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Ocean Yacht/Egg Harbor boats/Pacemaker Boats Reply with quote

I found this on the web! Hard to believe that Pacemaker's and Ocean's have the same designer! I always considered the Ocean Plastic Rocket a ill design hull! Thin and over flexible! Ever see one being hauled, it is scary!!!! They bend in about 3" at the straps! The older Fiberglass Pacemaker's don't even after 30 years!

Mike -

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A Proud Heritage

In 1977 Jack Leek launched Ocean Yachts with the company's first boat — a 40' sportfisherman to which our 25th anniversary New Generation 40 Super Sport paid tribute. But Jack was not the first Leek to build boats in New Jersey. In fact, Leeks have been building and launching them in the historic Mullica River since 1721.

Ocean's heritage reaches as far back as the original American colonies. Leek-manufactured vessels helped develop our coastal and river trade, create a rich fishing industry, battle pirates and privateers, intercept rum runners during Prohibition and German U-boats in World War II. We can justly say that the Leek family's involvement in the American maritime industry is as old as the industry itself.

C. P. Leek, for example, pioneered the U.S. pleasure craft industry in the 1920s. Later in the century, his Pacemaker line became the most sought-after production power boats on the market. C. P. was the grandfather of Ocean Yachts’ founder Jack, great-grandfather of our current President, John E. Leek III, and great-great-grandfather of Ocean's General Manager and Director of Design and Engineering, John E. Leek IV. C. P.’s descendents would produce some of the world's finest luxury sportfishing and cruising yachts.

Today’s Ocean Yachts may have little in common with those early Leek vessels, or even with C. P.’s revolutionary Pacemakers. But they express — in fiberglass instead of wood — the same spirited determination to produce the highest quality yachts in the world.

It is this resolve that has made Ocean Yachts the world's largest producer of quality-built Super Sports, Sport Fish, and Odyssey models in the 40' to 73' class. Our yachts are valued by thousands of owners — running in all the world's great seas — for their unbeatable combination of performance, speed, power, luxury, styling and durability. Boats that appeal to serious sportfishermen and devoted pleasure cruisers, alike
leokow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative, Mike, and what a family history to look back on. BTW, nice to see you back.
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting. Now if they only listened to Grandpa and not the accountants, they would have a great product that would last. Mike, I never knew anyone who had one. My curiosity is stirred. I may have to check one out.

John
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Well you will notice that they are out of ratio beam to length for the old Pacemaker's and have very narrow beams at the transom. They are much lighter than than the older Pacemaker's with sharper entrees and steeper dead rise! Basic idea was a faster sport fisherman in the 40 foot range! When others were looking at a top speed of 18-20 knots this design would top out at 35-38 knots for the same length boat, but gives up in the area of beam width! The design still holds true today, look the the boat from the stern next to a more traditional Egg Harbor of the same length and you will be surprise the transoms are a good 16 to 24 inches less! This design also suffers in the area of stability at sea like most deep V-ed hulls but they are fast! So if fast is your thing you need to look at the Ocean! I know up here on Cape Cod regular runs between the islands and P-town when it is moderately rough seas my old Pace makes the trip faster than the 42' Ocean every time! When I get to the destination I can still stand up the Ocean is a good half hour behind and the crew is well shaken! On a clam sea they will beat me by 45 minutes every time! You choose!

Mike - Cool
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep my Pacemaker, thank you. Last Sunday when I went out, a small craft advisory was out. Eventhough we stayed in the bay, most boats were like corks. We were stable and dry the entire time. The GPS read 19 mph at 2000 rpm. When we trolled at 3-4mph it was just as stable. I am well satisfied and have no plans in the immediate future to replace her.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, I dont care that much for speed unless I'm trying to beat a storm back to the dock. Sure I wish sometimes I could fly across the water but I cant beat the stability of my pace. Ever cross a tugs wake? In my pace its a slow roll or slide depending on how I cross it. In my friends boats they all try and turn into it so they dont get bounced around too badly. The tugs that head out of New Haven harbor usually are moving along and displacing a lot of water as they go by. If I had to choose another type of boat besides my Pace it would be an Egg Harbor (gee I wonder why??)
Terry
PS Mike, How did you make out with the blisters?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: