Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End in sight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: End in sight Reply with quote

Okay for the last 2 years I have been slowly fixing up my 28' pacemaker to get it where I can trust it. Replaced a fews things that needed to be replaced and probably a few more that didn't. I have taken a lot of shorter cruises to work out the bugs and see if there was anything that I missed. I still baby the boat a little... what can I say Pacemakers hold a special place and I'm hesitant to take off the training wheels.

1 rebult engine, new risers and manifolds (both), rebult carbs on both, general tune up/maintanence all done. Temp holds well, no RPM issues... the port engine (not rebult) is little behind in RPM's to the starboard, but that may be the old shift cable having a little movement.

However, I usually put it up on plane for a few minutes and then run down to check to make sure everything is tip top... Its tough to let go.

I got a week vaction coming up and the family is heading down to spend sometime boating. I'm ready to get in some serious fishing time. Any suggestions as to what else I should be checking out? Transmissions (I worry only because I haven't really had to do anything to them)? Probably should replace the belts.. just to be safe.

Shawn
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn, I have a plastic milk crate with extra oil, tranny fluid, spare belts, hose clamps, pieces of hose, funnels a one gallon anti-freeze bottle mixed 50/50 with water, a backup jump starter battery and a few other odds and ends. All you can do is trust the old girl. You cant foresee everything that could go wrong but you can try and prepare for anything major. That would also include your cell phone and a 12 volt charger for it (with the local coast guard number programmed into it) for an emergency that prevented you from using the radio
Terry
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

I can spares of all the little things (and the tools to change them). Also, besides the main radio, I carry a hand held and my cell at all times. Not to mention the all important Seatow card.

I know that there is no way to prevent everything, but the boat sat for a few years before I got it. So I'm just trying to make sure I didn't forget anything. I'd hate to go through all this work to get stuck because I didn't change a gasket. I will breakdown at some point (done that many times in previous boats).

Once I get in the habit of fishing on the weekends and not taking somehting a part. It might be hard to go back.

How did you make out with your boat?
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Mine sat for 10 years before I saved her. I also got sick of trying to fix everything (even things that were not busted) When the port engine went last year and I had to come out of the water in July, I realized I had reached a fork in the road and it was time to decide if it was worth it or not to spend all this time fixing and repairing instead of just boating and fishing. One day as I sat there watching the boats go out the river entrance I realized I had formed a bond with the boat I sat on and even though she needed more work she was still a real good boat and I knew her inside and out. I trust her to get me there and back because of all the work I did to get her there. I could never get that same feeling with a boat I just bought from a dealer. So like I said before, you just have to trust the old girl, she will take care of you because you took care of her
Terry
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

Go out and enjoy yourself. Most of the people don't do a fraction of what we consider routine or preventive maintenance. Remember, you are dealing with a machine and what was good or replaced yesterday may go bad today. I worry also, but it is human nature to do so and you don't want it to screw up when you have guests aboard. That is what we have Sea Tow for.

Enjoy,

John
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Shawn, that ole boat will treat you well,with a few exceptions just to keep you on your toes ! I agree with you about the belts ,especially if you are still running with the ones that came with the boat. Make sure you give the bolts on the water pumps and alternator a good dose of PB Blaster a couple of days before you try to take them apart,give it a good chance to work in and loosen the rust, it's a lot easier than dealing with broken bolts.
As far as the transmissions go, pull the dip stick and check the color of the fluid, it should be bright red,if it's brown or smells burnt then you will want to change it and check it again in about a month, it should still be red, if it's brown again, then that trans. needs service. If you need to drain the trans. you need to suck it out of the dip stick hole as best you can, I think it only holds about a quart or a little more.
Iused to run mine at 2800 all day long and once I had her right she never gave me a running problem again. Just bring her there slowly and hold her there a little bit longer each time until you get confidence in the way she runs,if something is on the edge ,it should go during one of these trial runs and not when you have a boat full of people. Good Luck..Shawn..Leo
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I will change the belts and let her run.

Besides, I haven't had to use Seatow yet.
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time you got something for your money ! that's what they are there for, you don't have to plan on using them but they're there just in case, so good luck and let us know how you make out.
BTW, Shawn, I got my pace in yesterday and she seems to be running fine. I didn't have to do much at all, just change the zincs,charge the batteries,and check the gas to make sure it was good and off she went.
Hopefully , she won't get back at me later!! C U later..Leo
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news about your boat. You haven't been missing much on the fishing front. My week off offically starts tomorrow. My parents rented a cottage on the lagoon just up the road from Cedar Cove. My father is the one to blame for this boating problem I seemed to have inherited, so I'm hoping for some nice weather this week. I would like to make up for lost time on the fishing front. At times there may be one too many captians on the boat, but overall its good to get some time on the water with my father.

Hopefully we will cross paths out on the bay sometime this week. I plan on making at least one trip up the mullica to the swimming spot you mentioned. Thanks again and give my best to Marie.

Shawn

PS I'm sure she won't get back at you, you're due for a good stretch.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, Congrats on the boat launch. I am going to have mine pulled on the 7th so I can do some work (install the windlass, reset the bow screws and try to paint the topside) then have them re-launch right after Labor day so I can finish the fall fishing season. If I have time, I am going to install the helm I got from you, though I am really good at driving the boat with the trannys now LOL I wont miss much fishing since I can go out on some friends boats
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling out during the season... that takes dedication. I'm not sure I could do it.

Best of luck with the repairs.
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it's real nice to look out the window and see the boat instead of empty space ! I'm not real happy about the way she's running though. Seems kind of sluggish, I'm going to pull the plugs and see what's up,the gas seems to be ok,so I'm not going to mess with it,but I will fill the other 2 tanks just in case something goes wrong then I can at least switch over to them if there's a gas problem when I go outside fishing. I hate running that inlet and worrying if the engines are going to keep running or not, some days it's like running an obstacle course trying to get back inside,and with all the accidents there lately, I don't want to be the cause of one.
Shawn, enjoy every minute with your father on the boat, there are so many of us that never had the opportunity to be on the same boat as our father or do any of the father and son things that sons like to do. If your blaming your dad for giving you the boating bug then, tell him I said "Thank You", for putting another good guy in a boat ! Enjoy your vacation, and maybe we will run into each other out there this week(not literally) I'll be doing some test runs to make sure the boat is running well enough to take my daughter,grandaughters,and son-in-law outside fishing after next weekend, they are coming up from Florida. With the fishing they have down there, how the hell am I supposed to compete at the rate we're catching fish up here. I spoke to some guys coming back from a diving trip last Sunday, they said the water temp. at 70' was 48 degrees ! no wonder the outside fishing is near dead, they are even still catching some ling on the wrecks ! Now that's a fish that heads for the hills when the water warms up good enough for fluke fishing.
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep an eye out and an ear to channel 9. Also, I know what you mean about the inlet. I've been hesitant to run it until I was sure the boat was in order.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn, I tried to get another season from the helm but the wobble is getting worse. Since the blues are about the only fish being caught, I figured I could get stated on my fall and winter list and still get in 2 months of fishing in during Sept. and Oct. and then come out as one of the last boats out. Club rule, last out, first in, so next year I wont have to wait for the 60 boats ahead of me to get out of the waybefore I launch Laughing
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

Remember the old saying, "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down." Just kidding, but that does seem like a good plan. Down here the good fishing is in the Bay, so my Wahoo is sitting as I use the 18', which is better on fuel and has a shallow draft.

Leo, Shawn,

The weakfish are heating up here. I am on vacation this week (so why did I put in a long day today?), but my daughter's wedding is on Friday. I have relatives coming from all over the country and many want to go out fishing or cruising, so the Pace will get a workout. I have a "few" things to take care of and my wife delagated me to entertain those that will be here for most of the week. Leo, do you suppose that the engines are sluggish because the fuel may have lost some of its octane rating. I added Ezorb and octane booster to my Wahoo and it runs fine. Shawn, good luck and enjoy your vacation. May the boat run fine and the fish hook themselves. It is time to fish the mouth of the Mullica for weakfish, early morning , mid week. Chestnut neck usually has a good supply of feathers to drift shedded crab with. I like to drift the 18' during a moving tide. If it gets crowded, I anchor and let the feather drift with the current.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope I dont get any surprises when I come out, Otherwise the only drawback would be where the boat gets put for the winter. There is a billboard on club property that pigeons love to sit on and poop from, so if your boat is there, it better be covered REAL good. I sat there the first year I had the boat. It sounded like someone was throwing things at the tarp all the time whenever I was there.
rebait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bombs Away" Expect the worst and you won't be surprised, only relieved and everything will come together. Good Luck.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was bringing the boat onto the property, our club driver warned me about the sign and how important it was to get the boat covered fast. In the spring, the birds eat red berries and you can imagine what they do to a nice white boat!!!
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

We have the same problem with birds in Jersey. That is why I keep my 18' covered. I also have a problem with big oak trees on my property with the Wahoo. In the fall after blocking it and cleaning it, I would like it to dry out for a week or so. The leaves drop so quick and in volume that we use a leaf blower and snow shovel to remove them and if it rains they stain the deck and hull. I power wash and scrub, let it dry out for a couple of hours and it is back to the blower and shovel. The same in the spring after it is uncovered. These leaves drop from September to May. I have to remove them from my lawn with my tractor and Cyclone Rack on a weekly basis, until it snows. It looks funny when the Christmas decorations have leaves on them. But I would not move for all the tea in China.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plugs did the trick on the pace and she's running fine. Just in time for my daughters family to come up for a week from Fla. They want to go tuna fishing , so next week I think I''ll take a run out to the scallop boats and give it a go. there are bluefins from 35 miles on out and yellow fins around 50 where the scallop boats have been dragging around. The water is finally starting to warm up and the outside fluking is starting to pick up, so I'll probably give that a couple of tries. I'll let you know how it goes, this should be fun...LOL
rebait

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

Glad it was just the plugs. I planned on going out this morning, but we were rained out. Tommorrow I am supposed to take my brother, Jeff, from Colorado out for some early morning weakfishing. Before he moved to Colorado, my brother and his fishing buddy ( both are very competitive ) took my son who was 11 at the time fishing with them in Raritan Bay and the VZ Bridge area. My son brought his own hand tied rigs and of course my brother had to make a few negative comments. My son even then would stick by what he knew and wanted to do and insisted on using his own set up. He outfished them both by a margin of 8 fish to each one caught by both combined. He was catching doubles on his double hook set up. Needles to say, he was not invited back. My brother is bringing his buddy with him, so this should be fun. I can't wait for their excusses. My brother, Dan, from Virginia and his wife will be going also. They are both pretty mellow and enjoy Jeff getting teed off that he was outfished or out done at anything. Have a great time next week with your family and good luck.

Tight Lines,

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo Glad to hear your daughter is out and about, always a good sign that things are returning to normal (or as normal as can be after what happened) Good luck on the fishing trip
Terry
leokow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, we will see what happens when she gets here on Friday. It's been 2 months since I've been with her, so I am a little excited about seeing her and the kids again. It looks like the weather is going to co-operate,so we will see how the fishing luck holds out. Have a good weekend and I'll let you know how things are going...Leo
jschof76
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Leo what are the best GPS Coordinates for catching tuna my father and I would be out of Great Egg harbor Inlet by Ocean City ,NJ any ideas?
leokow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, I don't have the GPS numbers for where I'm going to try to go . But I can tell you the areas that I'm going too. You're actually better off than me coming out of Great Egg Inlet, you're closer than I am. The latest that I've been told is that earlier in the week they were getting bluefins near the 28 mile wreck, a little further than the AC ridge and the lobster claw and hambone. all of these places are well marked on the charts and you shouldn't have any problem finding them. That's how I'm going to go out there. Look for that nice clear blue water and a temperature break while you're going out. There should be some Mahi around the lobster pots and anything that is floating in the water, just don't run up to whatever is floating, stay away from it and use a spinning reel to cast around it, I always bring a bunch of killies with me to get things going, save the big ones for live bait. A little further out in Toms and Spencer canyons on the western edges they are doing well on yellow fin, I'm sure you'll see the boats when you get there. For the bluefin, on the way out , look for scallop boats with a bunch of fishing boats around them, slip in nice and quiet and start chunking, if the scallop boats move to another spot, hang out a while, sometimes the fish come up to the surface when all the commotion is done and feed on anything that's on the top.
Jack, I'm assuming that you know you need a special license to fish for tuna and shark, and the limits are tight. If you go...good luck...Leo
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacation is over. weather was great, got to do some fishing (not a lot of keeping, but fun none the less). The boat ran great so long as I went below 2400. The old engine (port side) bogged down after 2400. Ran for a couple hours around 1800 rpm's decided to finally kick it up 2000 good, 2200 good, 2400 not so good. The engine began running rough, RPM's fluctuated.... backed it down and all was good. decided to keep it slow and enjoy the rest of the week. Got to use the boat all 7 days, good times with the family. Had some father-son time on the boat (had to let Dad drive for a bit). Overall no complaints.

I'll take a look at it the next couple of weekends. I'll try the obvious stuff like change the wires, check the plugs, check filters (all new, but never know). Timing? Who knows? I didn't run it enough at 2400 to get a good feel for the problem.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be fuel/air mixture sounds like it might be starving for fuel
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carb was just rebuilt, but I will tinker with it.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets us know what you find out and you're right, it could be a lot of different things. I dont suspect a bad plug since you should hear it miss at lower speeds. Could be a bad coil wire or plug wire but I think that would also show up as a misfire at idle. It might even be water in the fuel since the bow of the boat rises as you increase speed sending the fuel to the back of the tank. The fuel is drawn from the tank from the bottom, so any water would be pulled into the fuel lines. Check your water filters and see if the fuel is cloudy
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look. Thanks Terry.
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

I agree with Terry on the fuel. I would definitely check for water first, change the filters, add E-zorb and Startron if water is present.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn, glad everything went well with the family. I told you that old boat wouldn't let you down. I agree with Terry and John, don't mess with the carb., when it's out of wack it usually shows up at idle speed,the gas would be my first choice, it could happen as Terry says, or your separator could be half full of water and you're running off the top half at slow speeds but when you kick it in you draw some of the bad stuff in and the trouble begins,slow down and it goes away. I had that in my starboard separator and I had to pump out about 1 gal. out to get it to run clear, then I put in startron and e-zorb to get any residual stuff in the tank. Good luck and let us know ,Shawn.,C U later...Leo
BTW==I found a new book I had on 318 engines, I'll try to drop it off to you next week when I get back to Jersey, if your not there , I'll just leave it on the boat, it's a brand new book.
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

Thanks again. I should be down on Sunday so I'll take a look before heading out.

Shawn
rebait

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

How are you making out with your repairs and installations? I hope that it is going well.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiring is all in and windlass is mounted. The anchor roller I got didnt go out far enough for the self launching part to clear the bow (still waiting for it), so I ordered a Teak pulpit to mount on the bow and then I'll put the roller on that and then its a wait and see if I can get it done and go back in or just keep fishing with my buddies boat
rebait

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully you will have it this week. If not you have the option of fishing with your buddy. Same kind of friends that I have.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: