Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Haven Aug. 1st

View previous topic :: View next topic  
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: New Haven Aug. 1st Reply with quote

Big storm moving fast cut the day short but blues everywhere - BIG blues everywhere. A couple of big stripers were caught with live eels but mostly blues. We're loading up to head out at 10 am so I'll try and update later
Terry
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aug. 3rd, BLUES, BLUES, BLUES everywhere. Some pourgies and a few stripers. Sand worms and bunker chunks were the bait to use. Got stopped by DEP for a spot check as soon as we dropped anchor. Hour later, police boat came to check us out, and on the way in Coast Guard inspection Exclamation All 3 were no problem, DEP told us what people were catching and what bait they were using and where the fish were, the police boat just came by and looked inside from their boat. Turns out it was the boat that ties up across the river and one of the guys wanted a closer look at the boat. The Coast Guard was a breeze since I had an inspection sticker in the window already from the courtesy inspection I get every spring. They checked the boat and were gone in less than 10 minutes.
rebait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

I assume that your DEP is the same as our Fish & Game. A few years back it seemed that they would check me almost every other trip. Now it is a wave as they go by or if they are checking everyone it is more of a chat and I have all the hatches, coolers and live wells open. I have seen the Coast Guard and the State and Local Police stop other boats, but like you I have my courtesy inspection and it goes a long way. I expect that the police and Coast Guard will be making a lot more stops because of the operator licensing being phased in.
On the fishing front it looks like you had a good trip. If not for eating, blues are fun to catch. I was at the supermarket today and bluefish are going for $5.99 a pound. Since I had to work this weekend, I did not fish, but I am off this week and headed out this morning at low tide with no tidal movement. We caught a number of small kingfish, 2 small fluke and sea robins. Next time out will be early Wednesday morning with an out going tide.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DEP is the same as your fish and game wardens. We had just anchored and put out 5 poles with bunker chucks, mackerel chunks and sand worms when they pulled along side. My bait table had the cut up bait sitting out and the sand worms were in the cooler under the bait table. All they asked was what we had on the boat. When we said we were just starting they said ok. We asked how the other boats were doing and they told us what everybody was doing. It was a good day but a little weird as how the sound was acting. Normally, we would anchor inside the wall since its usually flat and calm. On Sunday, all the way out there were white caps and it looked like we wouldn't find a calm spot to anchor. We went to the outer part of the wall since the birds were diving there and the water was flat and calm. We cruised from New Haven up to the Branford river and the sound was calm. On the way back in, as soon as we got inside the harbor, white caps and waves and I mean waves that were breaking over the bow. I have Thursday off and plan on a morning run before I get hauled out in the afternoon. Now if things go as planned, I'll be back in right after Labor day in time for the fall fishing with a new windlass, new top side paint and the helm changed
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

This does seem like the best time to make your improvements to your boat. 1. the weather is with you, 2. you have friends to fish with, 3. you will be ready for fall fishing, 4. it will be done and 1 last thing to do in the spring, 5. last boat in, first boat out. A win, win situation.

Good Luck,
John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the old saying goes, "Knock on wood" The thing I have to remember is to focus on what I want to do and not what I think needs fixing or I'll be out for the rest of the season
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: