Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Troubles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Engine Troubles Reply with quote

Chrysler 318 - Original

I replaced my starboard engine last summer, so of coarse the port engine is the one giving me trouble this year. I went to start up the engine after the long winter slumber and it started but was running rough (wouldn't idle below 1,100) with a lot of smoke (and soot) in the exhaust. More than would be expected from fogging oil burning off. Changed the spark plugs took a look around and saw that my carb was leaking gas.. not as bad as it sounds because I knew it was going and already have the replacement on the way.

I'm going to replace the carb first and foremost before trying to start the engine again (not a fan of leaking gas). Could this be as simple as the carb or should I be looking elsewhere? I'm guessing its an ignition problem and the smoke and soot are due to bad combustion. Plugs are new, 4 of them were fouled when trying to restart (which it did, but shut down as soon as I saw leaking carb). No water in the oil, electronic igniton (no points). Solenoid? Time for new spark plug wires? Or time for a new engine?

Any thoughts?
rebait

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

It may be the carb float is bad and since you knew that the carb was bad it may be the culprit. Before you do anything else, I would take the time and pull the plugs and do a compression test. It would give you a better picture of what is going on. I doubt that it is the ignition that is making it smoke.

John
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Thanks John.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn, I agree with John, the smoke is probably caused by bad gas to air mixture. The 4 plugs that were covered with soot, were they the four closest to the carb on the intake manifold? excessive gas would flood those first and foul the plugs. It wouldnt hurt to check the compression. If you have a resistance meter you can check the wires to see if there are any bad ones. just put one end of each probe to opposite ends of the wire, the meter should go all the way to the right if its like mine. If not there is resistance in the wire and it should be changed.
Terry
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Terry. I already have new wires for that engine as well. I was preparing to replace just about everything on that engine (Manifolds, Risers, carb, Wires, Plugs, Rotor). I'll go ahead an change the carb and the wires and see where that gets me.

I spent most of last year working on the starboard engine, other than new plugs and an oil change I haven't touched this engine. Fortunately, it got me through last year, so I have no complaints. If it was gonna go, no better time than now.

Also, you were right about which plugs were fouled.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it all works out for you. The fact that the four middle plugs were fouled is a good bet the carb was flooding gas into the cylinders. I would also check for vacuum leaks after the carb is replaced as a leak could also give poor idle performance and STILL check the compression. I once had a engine that ran rough at idle and it turned out to be 1 bad piston that had a hole burned through the top. I could have saved some time if I hadn't been stubborn and kept checking everything else first
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shawn -

How is it going with the engine have you check the gas and the filters filters. You may have some separation of the fuel you know the old ethanol issue! I agre start with the carb and go from there. Compression is fine?

Mike -
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas is fine, Fuel Filters have bee changed. I won't get a chance to take a look at it again till this weekend (maybe next), but I'll post the solution.
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting on the rebuilt carb.. Hopefully this weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Mechanical All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: