Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Jersey Swimming Hole

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: New Jersey Swimming Hole Reply with quote

I'm hoping that a few of the NJ boaters on here can lend a hand. Over that past few seasons I've been able to find some nice fishing spots, but not a good place to anchor up and go for a swim. Any suggestions?

Personally, I have aboat to stay out of the water, but not all of my family enjoy fishing (especially the younger ones) and would like to go for a swim during the warmer summer days.
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shawn -

Even though I am not from that area I have heard of Barnegat area particularily from the End of the Road south on Island Beach State park is nice. North side of the Barnegat Inlet by the stone seawall if you can stand the surf. The other area I have heard of is Sedge Island which is the inland side of Island Beach State park. Water is warmer and surf is minimal.

I guess I should let the locals speak up as I am sure there is that secret spot that every goes too!

Mike -
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I have been to those areas by kayak (pre pace days) and it is a great spot. However, it would be a couple hour ride and usually very crowded.
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

The big local area behind Island Beach is Tices Shoal. But like you said it is a couple of hours of riding. I am not too sure of the Tuckerton area. The best person for that info is Leo.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shawn, sorry I didn't see this post until now, but better late than never. You can come down Tuckerton Creek, go up thru Marshelders channel,make the right at the end going toward the ocean inlet at Holgate but stay on the right side of the big channel because when you get to the end you will want to make a right toward the old coast guard station,follow that to the triple pole marker in the ICW and follow the channel around to the left, continue to follow the ICW down to marker #139 and make a right follow it straight up the Mullica River there won't be any more markers until you get all the way to deep point, but don't worry the water is plenty deep enough all the way thru the markers that mark Deep Point, out of the bay and into the river,there are some places right back in there and in three or four of the little bays that are back there on the way to the Big parkway Bridge. If you go that far the marina and gas that u see on the far left is Chestnut Neck Marina. You can also pass the marina and go up under the big bridge and you will see the areas where the PWC's are running and all the little coves in and around there that you can anchor in and swim. Also if you have a mind too , you can continue up the river(it's marked all the way, although very S shaped channel)bouys are sometimes far apart but it's well marked, and there are several places you can stop at all the way to Sweetwater. At the first low bridge you come to, look off to the far right , you will see an old boat factory, this is the old Pacemaker Plant, if you're interested. Don't try to go to the Sweetwater restaurant though, it burned to the ground last week. We used to go up the river all the time when fishing was slow to cook out or raft up a few boats and swim,then go to the restaurant for dinner, that's reduced to just a memory now,since the fire. It will probably take you an hour to get thru the Pkwy. bridge,but it is a nice ride, with mostly calm water, and a lot of good fishing spots on the way if you want to do both,fish and swim. The water on the Great Bay side thru the bays to the east of the fish factory are pretty decent as far as depth and once you make the turn at 139 to head out of the bay and up the river the water is good all the way out of Great bay and once you pass Graveling Point it gets even deeper.You need to get out a little and drive around to the great bay side the water is much better than the tuckerton side.I used to take OVERDUE back there alot a few years ago,especially when the seas were rough and we couldn't get outside to fish.Sorry I don't know of anywhere closer to you that is safe enough to do what you want too, although someone else may know of some spots. Have fun, Leo
PS..Sounds far , but it really isn't.
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

Thanks, it sounds perfect. The ride is never a problem. More often than not, the ride over is half the fun.

Shawn
shawn_carlson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

Are there any parks in this area that you can drive to by car? My extened family will be coming down in early August and not all of them enjoy boat rides. I was hoping to have them head to one of th eparks close by and use the rubber raft to shuttle to shore.

Get well soon.

Shawn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: