Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CIRCLE HOOKS ON DIAMOND JIGS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: CIRCLE HOOKS ON DIAMOND JIGS Reply with quote

I read an article in the March, 2008 issue of Saltwater Sportsman about replacing the J or treble hook on diamond jigs or spoons with a circle hook. The captain that the author fished with out of Norwalk, Conn. on the Long Island Sound targeted Bluefish and Stripers with great success. They eliminated gut hooking, all the hooks were in the corner of the mouth and they hardly missed a strike once they found the right technique of instead of "setting the hook", just keep the line tight and reeel in. On diamond jigs they removed the J hook, added a size 7, 50# split ring, a 75# test swivel to the split ring and a 6/0 offset circle hook to the swivel. I am definitely going to try it this season.

Tight Lines,

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will also give them a try. I am also going to read that article since I fish the Long Island sound for blues, bass and any fish that bites. Nothing worse than missing a strike or loosing a fish because the hook didnt set
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important part of the article that I left out was that using circle hooks decreases the mortality rate when you release fish.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a nice article on circle hooks.
http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/articles/if0502_VVCircleHooks/
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an excellent article and I encourage all to read. Regarding the mortality rate among the summer flounder (fluke as we call them), I also found that they swallow the circle hooks more readily than J or English hooks. I tried them a few times and stopped using them for fluke. The same went for drifting sand worms for weakfish. I prefer a light wire J hook. They are easier to remove, thus reducing handling and time out of the water.
The last paragragh from the article sums it all up: "We're in an age where selective harvest is a necessity. The objective is to ensure that we can continue to harvest and eat some fish, while releasing others to sustain good fishing into the future.

John
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: CIRCLE HOOKS Reply with quote

Hi All -

I have been using circle hooks for a while now on tuna and other migratory species. One thing most don't tell you that there is a perfered knot to use to get the circle action to work every time. Always tie a circle hook with a snell knot. What happens is the snell when setting the hook drives the hooks point in a circle fashion as to catch almost every time. Other knots you don't get the advantage of the circular drive that the snell gives.

One other trick I use depends on the depth of the fish in the water column that I am trying to catch. What I do is to use a 2 or 3oz weight and dental flosh it to the main line before the leader! what this does is allows you to maintain the depth with out disturbing the bait! When you reel in the fish it is easy to cut the weight off so you can reel the fish in the rest of the way!

Hope this helps you catch more fish!

Mike -
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I always used that kind of knot since it really helps keep the hook secure on the line, especially if the eyelet of the hook is a lot bigger than the line. For those who might not know what the knot looks like, I call it a hangmans noose because of the way the line is wrapped around the hook and then the end is tucked in and pulled up into the loops. I have found this knot to be the best at not breaking when fighting the bigger fish. I got a few of the circle hooks and cant wait to try them!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: