Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yet another overheating problem!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well were just spinning our wheels right now, we'll just have to wait for Adrian to make another update post as to what's going on.
I don't feel that this problem is going to go away by itself, if anything , I think it'll get worse, which just might make it easier to find.
A water flow chart would be nice to take a look at.
I was wondering something else, John, if the salt water to cool the heat exchanger is coming from that pump and thru the strainer, then out the exhaust like a normal set up , then what about the pump in the lower part of the outdrive ? Do you think they eliminated it and went for this type of set up ? If not, then where is that water going ? and how the hell is it plumbed into the system to be effective ? I don't see any kind of " T " near the strainer that would have the lower unit water supplement the raw water pump, I almost have myself believing that they just don't utilize the lower unit water for anything, it may just be routed thru the lower unit and right back out to sea.
Otherwise they would have to make a separate lower unit for this type of installation only and you know big companies they like to use the same parts for multiple situations, it's much more cost effective.
Adrian, don't pay any attention to this last paragraph, I was just wondering out loud to John to see what his opinion was. I don't want to get you confused and looking in the wrong places.
I may just try to spend some time on that web page and see what I can find, I went across the lagoon yesterday to look at a friends boat , it's a 73 Reinel 23footer with a 351 ford engine and a mercruiser outdrive, but the engine is anti freeze cooled. I wanted to see the set up and it was just as I thought, the lower unit water pump supplied salt water to the heat exchanger to cool the anti freeze and then was dumped into the manifold. The water pump on the engine front provided the circulation for the coolant thru the engine. Maybe volvo thought that the lower unit pump was insufficient to cool the engine alone so they put in the system that Adrian has. Just throwing things out there to try and jog something loose, I'll talk to you all later....Leo
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, sorry, been away and the weather's been ludicrous! I did go out briefly yesterday and had the usual problem.. before starting the engine I checked the water level in the strainer, it was about half full and when I removed the top the water level went right down. I topped the water up and started the engine, some 400 yards later the impeller cover got hot (as expected), the water had reduced to half way again.( but not disappeared completely), I topped the level again and after that it was fine for the rest of the trip.

The pressure plate I replaced with a new one a while ago and it's still fine, it is the main seal for the strainer (rather than the actual screw on top), I also applied loads of vasaline around all the seals and threads. The actual container seems in fine condition with no obvious leaks. What gets me is that if there is an air leak that enables the water level to drop I assume I should be able to see a reasonable amount of water coming out from the same place, and that I think, would have to be somewhere around the strainer container ( the original Volvo part).

As far as I can make out, the cooling raw water comes in via the hull intake, up a pipe to the bottom of the pump, this in turn is sent via the strainer assembly to the heat exchanger and then on to the oil cooler. From there it's hard to see but I'm pretty sure it goes to the exhaust elbow where it joins the exhaust which feeds out through the outdrive. There is no pump system in the outdrive.

This is the way it was when we got the boat from the states, (except originally the exhaust went through the transom and we routed it via the leg which made for a much quieter and less intoxicating ride!)

Apparently this boat (and setup) was built by the company (Seidlmen) that took over the company from Pacemaker.

What I have yet to try is closing the seacock and seeing if the water level drops. I will do this the next couple of days.

My temptation is to simply replace the whole pump and strainer unit, unfortunately with being a poor starving artist and Christmas on the horizon this is not an option at the moment!

Re the electrical problem, it turned out that the alternator needed re winding and some other piece replacing.. cheaper that buying a new one! I think I may have caused some of the corrosion problems in the wiring, every time I topped up the strainer some saltwater would splash over everything. Funny how one thing leads to another!

The outdrive lives in the down position as the relays that work the lifting mechanism are missing, having caught fire a while ago when they got wet.

I will try to check some more things in the next few days and let you know what if anything I find!
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I think that the pump may be cavitating and it is having a hard time forming a seal under pressure and it needs a little help keeping prime to form the seal after it heats up. Adrian, in your past posts you mentioned about damage to the side plate and debris found in the strainer. I am leaning toward the impellar and side plate having wear and damage. The pump housing itself may be worn and / or damaged also. At this point I would disassemble the pump and inspect the housing carefully. Since money is tight, if you feel that you can take a chance with the pump housing, I would buy the overhaul kit that includes the side plate (since the side plate is included I would assume that this is a wear item ) for $150.00 from Volvo Penta direct. When you call ask questions. As for the water level at rest in the strainer before starting, that may be the correct level. Looking at the picture it may drain down through the exhaust and it seems by what you say that it is about the same level each time. Since it is after the pump and at that point it is not a closed system it should disperse the air out the exhaust. I feel confident now that the gremlins may be the impeller and side plate that are driving us nuts. Leo, you are like me, I usualy go with my gut feeling, but when giving advice or solving a problem, I like to explore all possibilities first. Adrian, if this solves the problem, I would install, if possible, the other strainer that you bought before the pump. Let us know how you made out.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Adrian, glad you got back to us, I know it's tough some times, life just gets in the way.
I read what you posted and I think you've covered most of the things, also glad you got that electrical problem straightened out.
Now if you do that one last test of closing the shut off after she's been running ok and before you open the canister, I think it'll narrow things right down.
My theory is the pump is worn and when you shut down and things cool down the strainer drains back thru the pump and out the bottom, that's the shortest distance and the path of least resistance and water and electricity behave very much alike , they always take the path of least resistance to get to where they want to go.
Now, once you have the canister open , after everything has cooled down, open the shut off and then look back in to the canister again, if I'm right , it should have drained down to where you normally find it. I agree with John, I think the pump is worn just enough that after a little heating up it swells and begins to work again,and that's also probably how the heat you feel is being generated.
I can sympathize with you about the money position and the holidays around the corner also, I'm very close to the same position, and that's why I didn't want you to buy anything until you new exactly what was wrong, hopefully this last test should let you know more definitively, then you can decide if you want to try to rebuild the pump or get a new one, like John said if the plate is included in the rebuild kit it must be a known wear item or they would sell it separately. There is probably some lateral play in the impeller and after a while and a bunch of replacements they decided to include it in the kit This makes me feel even more secure in thinking the pump is the problem. Even a monkey falls out of the tree once in a while, we have to get a little lucky sooner or later. GOOD LUCK !
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Guys, been real busy and just read all the posts, I agree with most of everything posted here. 3 things bother me 1) if the pump is running, the strainer should be full by the pressure of the pump and not going half empty as Adrian says, which means the pump isn't putting out full pressure or a leak somewhere in the system is bleeding pump pressure. 2) when I had my Maxum with an outdrive, there was a water pump located in the lower part of the outdrive itself. This pump could only be seen when you took off the whole top half of the drive. Granted, my outdrive was an alpha one drive and his is a Volvo, but the raw water was pumped by the drive pump in the outdrive into the cooling system. 3) Why is there a tranny cooler in the system? There is no tranny with an outdrive
just my 2 cents
Terry
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

Think out of the box on this one. The oil cooler, I believe is for the engine oil. Adrian, does this unit have a jackshaft or is the engine mounted in the stern and connected directly to the outdrive unit?
Terry, your Mercruiser engine was mounted in the stern directly to the unit. Adrian's engine may be mounted midship with a jackshaft going to the drive unit mounted on the stern. Because of this distance having the water intake thru the hull with a pump off the engine would be more efficient and an all around better system. The exhaust would discharge thru the lower unit. Adrian, according to the research that I did on Volvo Penta, there should be a filter between the intake in the hull and the intake at the pump. Terry, this unit is not what we are used to looking at. I have never been involved with a Volvo Penta, let alone a diesel.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry , John is right about volvo penta , they are back asswards from everyone else.
One of my friends has an engine and outdrive setup from them in his 28 ft. glastron. The lower unit has a pump just like the rest of them do except this pump only feeds another centrifical pump that is bolted to the front of the crank then this pump pushes the water thru the rest of everything that needs to be cooled.
Adrian, says his lower unit does not have a pump , so what he's left with is a raw water and heat exchanger type systen like the rest of us have. My only problem with the set up was having the strainer after the pump instead of before it.
Maybe volvo didn't think the pump set up from the lower unit was powerful enough to handle the cooling of the diesel, so they went with this more powerful configuration. Then later on went to using both pumps like the glastron has. This pump even cools the electric fuel pump to keep it from overheating. In newer vehicles with fuel injection the fuel pump is cooled by placing it physcially in the gas tank, there's no practical way of doing that on a boat so they came up with the system I just described.
I don't think we can do anything else until we hear from Adrian and see what the results of that last test are.
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you what if this was my boat I would put a conventional cooling system in. That is a hole in the bottom with a screened pickup a seacock and then a strainer to the inlet side of the pump. Completely do away with the outdrive pickup.

Perhaps the reason for no strainer on the inlet side is that they are using the screen in the outdrive to strain out the larger stuff instead of a sea strainer. Not the best way to do a cooling system!

The strainer on the top of the pump gets the smaller stuff that got passed the screen on the outdrive.

What do you think!!!

Mike - Rolling Eyes
leokow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, somehow you 've gotten mixed up. Adrians boat doesn't have the water pump in the outdrive, it has a conventional cooling system llike we have, the only difference is his strainer is set up after the water pump.
Also the strainer is at the highest point in the system and on the output side of the pump. That's why I suggested to him to do the last test I described by closing the seacock and then opening the strainer to see where the water level is and if it's full the open the seacock and see if it drains down thru the impellers of the pump, I think it may just be worn enough to let the water run back out of the system and also not re prime until he refills it manually a couple of times, then it seems to operate ok, until it cools down again , then he's right back where he started.
John noticed on the Volvo site that the rebuild kit for the pump also included a new top cover, which suggests to both of us that this has been a wear problem in the past and the proper way to rebuild these pumps is to install a new face plate along with the rest of the parts. Unfortunately the kit is fairly expensive and we want to be absolutely sure that that is the trouble.
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is no more that we can do until we hear back from Adrian. This was a good exercise in trouble shooting with not getting all the facts and being not familiar with the unit. I think we covered everything, plus got an education about Volvo Penta.

John
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I thought he said the pickup was in the outdrive! Which made some sence with the problem! Disregard my last post.

Mike - Crying or Very sad Confused
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, finally got out in the boat today! Last night, after running the engine I shut the sea cock as suggested with the strainer full. This morning I had a look at the strainer before opening the valve and the water had disappeared completely, the only water left was in the actual pump, which makes sense, when I opened the sea cock the water rushed out fairly quickly to the level of the outside water. I guess this means that the pump is knackered and unable to hold prime or anything else for that matter!

The rest of the water must have disappeared via the exhaust/outdrive as the strainer is pretty high on the engine. I removed the impeller to further inspect the pump housing (the cover again got very hot today, so I was expecting some major damage inside). The impeller was fine and I had managed to buy locally the overhaul kit so I was looking forward to giving the pump a new lease of life! I found that the pump casing had various areas of damage, the back face was worn, and the area around/between the inlet/outlet holes had vertical grooving which was easily felt with the finger (see the photo, you can just about see it). Unfortunately neither cam supplied with the kit can be installed as the housing is a complete unit and doesn't have replaceable cams, and neither can the replacement plates for the back of the housing be put in as then the impeller would stick out by more than 2mm.

By acabedo

What is obvious is that these are known problems to Volvo who have supplied spares for them....but not it seems for my model!!! The only solution I have is to replace the whole housing. To top it all I also managed (with no effort at all) to snap three of the bolts that hold the cover on!

The setup is a jackshaft with a direct feed to the raw water pump from the
grill/intake under the hull, the outdrive has no pump.

As to Volvo, at this time I'll keep my comments to myself as I'm sure you'd have to edit my thoughts completely... suffice to say I never want to see one again!

I think my brother in law and I are now seriously considering taking up caravaning and selling the boat, I know boats are always problematic but this has been on another level!
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

I know how you are feeling, but things happen. If once you solve this cooling problem and make improvements such as adding the additional filter/strainer on the intake side, do you feel that the boat will be fine? Think about how much you and your son enjoy going out fishing together. When I did the engine rebuild and all the upgrades to mine this summer and did not use it, my wife refered to my Wahoo as the "MONEY PIT". I told her that she was wrong, but to look at it as a fiberglass hole in the ocean that I keep dumping money. I still have the wiring to upgrade and hopefully it will be trouble free for a season or two. (I doubt it) Don't give up, but take each problem in stride and make a hobby out of it. I know that it gets expensive, but do it right the first time and don't take advice from some know it all who has had his share of alcohol in the slip next to you. I had the guy in the slip next to me give me advice last summer when I was cleaning the screen in my strainer and he did not know what I did for a living. He is a house painter. He told me that my intake tube was clogged because the water should be shooting over my deck. Politely I told him he was wrong and that water seeks it's own level. I put the screen back and left the dock as he was trying to explain to me why I am wrong. 2hrs later I came back and he was amazed that I did not seize the engine. He went out once that season and was towed back. He uses his boat to hide from his wife and do his thing. I am sure that you will meet someone knowledgeable who will be glad to help. Boaters are generally like that. We will try to help you as much as we can. Hang in there.

John
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from the look of the pump explains why your having a problem! Actually this is what should be expected when you don't strain out the debris before the pump! particularily if you are in sand allot or shallow water that has sand in it!

I would not ditch the boat just yet! if this is the only issue you have! The pump replacement is minor in the scheme of things. Put a new one one on and your all set to go! This time put a strainer before the intake. I know that the pump will be expensive as Volvo parts are all big $$$$.

While fixing my boat and getting in the same mode as you are in now I always think of the good times and the fun I had! It maakes the whole job go better!

Mike - Wink
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Adrian, this was a tough one, but it's not so bad it can't be fixed. You don't have to worry about the broken bolts, although they can be removed without to much difficulty, because the new housing will provide new attachment points.
It looks like a pretty old pump but just maybe you can get a more modern replacement that's been rebuilt, for a lot less money.
Just think awhile about if you could purchase another "anything" trouble free for what it will cost to repair this, I don't think so.
I know how I felt several times when I couldn't keep a starboard engine for more than a few weeks at a time and went thru 3 of them before I finally got it to run right.
When I get a little time I'll spend some of it on the computer and see what I can find for you over here, maybe we can save you some money.
Keep the faith, brother!!! Leo
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,
if you can post a part number, I'll help look. If you dont know the part number (or cant find it) this site might help locate it. then maybe we can find a pump for you
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/vp_sch_fs.html
Terry
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in fact, this one looks like yours (Sea Water Pump: MD2010A, MD2010B, MD2020A, MD2020B)
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you that you'd have plenty of help to try to find you something, now if we're not willing to give up yet , you ought to give that machine one more chance.
I will help look next week. promise, right now I'm dealing with the loss of my best lifelong friend, we were born 3 ,months apart and have been together 62 years, God fathers to each others children and best men at each others weddings.
He was not ill at all, absolutely the picture of health, we had lunch together last saturday, and planned to get together on Wednesday nite. He never made it past noon on Wednesday,he tried to drive home from work because he had indigestion , he never got further than 3 blocks before his heart quit. He was instantly gone, with no chance of resuscitation. He was also 3 blocks from the trauma unit.
He took no medications, and never had a major illness, and all of our friends have said the same thing, If it can happen to him, it can happen to anyone of us in 1o minutes.
Enjoy what's around you , guys, you just don't know when you're not going to have it anymore.. Thanks for letting me vent a little...Leo
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

You have the "A Team" on your side. If you want to go on and solve the problem, I will help with part locating also. With our combined knowledge and experience I am sure we can solve any problem in the most economic way.

John
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Sorry to hear that! Reply with quote

Leo -

Sorry to hear of your loss! I know want it is like to loose a life long friend, especially one that is in the peak of health with know signs of illness. Just lets us all know just how short life can be!

My condolences!

Mike -
leokow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you , Mike, I really appreciate your concern, thanks again.....Leo
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same for me Leo, I lost a lifetime friend the same way, he was sick all weekend, went to the docs on monday morning and dropped dead in the parking lot, shame since he was only in his 40's like me.
Hope his family is ok
Terry
leokow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you too ,Terry, this has been an extremely rough few days and I am really having a difficult time, but I guess I'll get thru it somehow, I have too, or it might as well have been me. I told everyone that I may be MIA for a few days, but everytime I get back from the home or the family I jump on for a few minutes and it's sort of like therapy for me, gets my mind off of things. Thanks again....Leo
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

If there is anything that I can do, just ask. Just remember what I told you and hang in there.

John
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly, Leo really sorry to learn of your loss, I've lost various friends well before their time so far and I know it can be very hard. It's a good reminder to make the most of every minute you have on this planet, it's never long enough!

Secondly I reckon I do have the A team working with me, really, I wish I could buy you guys a beer! You are all of course right, no point at all in giving up that which keeps insanity away from the door, even with all it's problems, I certainly couldn't replace her with anything decent around here, it's just that sometimes, well you know you almost reach your limit!

A new pump will cost me $830 here in Gib but I have managed to find a barely used one here that the guy wants $520 for, I don't think it's worth that but he is letting me try it for size and fit so I'm going to fit it on, go for a run, and see what happens, if nothing else I will be able to eliminate the pump as the problem. If all is well after that then I'll know it's the whole pump unit and I'll begin negotiations with him!

My brother in law has more issues than me regarding the boat, he is keen for some sort of cabin/shelter and a galley to make a brew in, and to be fair, often it does get a little chilly and wet on occasions! We are though very fond of the actual boat, I've yet to see a prettier shape, it's just the damn mechanics!

I shall keep at it and will let you know the results of the trial after the weekend.
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

I am partial to center consoles. There is a lot that can be done to your Wahoo to eliminate the chill and getting wet. I know that money is an issue and the first thing to do is to solve the engine problems. If you and your brother in law decide to keep it, the first thing I would do is to eliminate the Bimini top and replace it with a TEE Top. The TEE Top would eliminate all the hardware on the gunnels and when fighting a fish that runs around the boat it makes it a whole lot easier. When ordering a TEE Top you must specify about the door in the console, because of the bracing. When it is chilly or wet to eliminate that is to have an eisenglass enclosure made that is removable and attached to the TEE Top and the gunnels and floor with zippered walkways. When it is nice it can be remved and stowed. There are many manufactures that sell TEE Tops in kit form and they can accomodate modifications for doors etc. The cost range is $1500 to $2700 for the top. The enclosure has to be custom made and I have had prices from $1200 to $2500. The long term project for my Wahoo is to add the enclosure, possibly add a heater with duct work and maybe a folding/removable bow dodger. All it takes is money and with college educations and a wedding coming up most of the projects are on hold.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you ,Adrian, I was hoping that after you settled down for a bit you would think better of dumping the boat. I can't tell you how many times I had reached that point. Once they asked me what I was going to name her and I said "BUBBLES", they all asked why ? and I said because the next time it gives me one more bit of trouble that's all your going to hear from her, bubbles, as she slowly slips below the waves !!
Damn, that sounds like a lot for a used pump, why don't you give us the part number and let us see what we can locate over here. Go ahead with your test and all but give us a shot before you finalize anything....Leo
rebait

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

I know that there are extra charges for importing parts, but aren't Volvo parts made on your side of the Atlantic? I just looked up the prices on Volvo water pumps on the Marine Parts Express web sight that Terry suggested, and if the Volvo replacement # 3583115 is the correct pump for your application, the cost is $417.63, a far cry from $830 or $520 for a used one. I hope that we are talking the equivalent in US dollars. I think that you are dealing with thieves that don't need guns. Double check the part number because what I have seen that there is a replacment part number. Why don't you give us the number that you have. I hate when people take advantage of others.

John
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the pump from the guy and tried to fit it to the engine, turns out the outlet hose needs to be offset by 1/2" for my particular engine,so it's no good, it has to be the specific one, Volvo doesn't make it easy for you!

The prices for a new one here are as I said, $830. I looked at the MarinePartsExpress site and that would be $607 (landed in Gib including shipping and duty), better, though not much in it except maybe time! In any case I shall have to wait until after Christmas to see what I can do! In the meantime I have re installed the old one and I keep a large bottle of water by the pump, far from ideal, but hey, there are worse things!

David, my brother in law has a contact in UK who may be able to provide a used or recon unit at a fair price, we shall wait and see.
Volvo is a terrible engine to have to work on, apart from nonsensical things like the strainer business, they make their money on spares, and they make BIG money!!!

In any case, though I'm sure the condition of the pump doesn't help I still don't know for sure if that is the complete problem or whether there is something else somewhere else. We shall see......
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian, I have requested a price from my local volvo dealer who is resonable, or he has been in the past. I have used the 3583115 part number you will need to check the part number is accurate. He did ask me for the serial number of the engine. Seem there is several variants of the pump!

If he is reasonable maybe we can work something out for you! I would not mind picking it up and shipping it to you!

Mike -
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian -

Here is the reply on the 3583115 pump! Must make sure it is the right one!

Mike - Rolling Eyes

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Email message
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Mike,

We have that Volvo pump in stock and can ship immediately, unless you want to come in and p/u.

The pump cost $464.03

Let me know, thanks………

Bob Demers

Niemiec Marine, Inc.

Engine Parts Facility

www.marinedieselparts.com

243 Popes Island

New Bedford, MA 02740

phone 508.997.1805

fax 508.997.1809

bob@niemiecmarine.com
rebait

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

Whatever you decide, make sure that you provide the full serial number for that engine. There are many variations and the number that I posted may be incorrect.

John
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian -

For sure we will need the engine serial number for the correct pump! The parts guy says the same as John. "Are you sure of the number on the pump? As there are many variations to the pumps used on a 41P" So you will need the serial number of the engine before we proceed further. You might want to see if there is a casting number on the pump also.

Mike - Rolling Eyes
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the offers guys, the pump has no numbers that I can see but I will check for the engine number in the next couple of days. (I'm on Christmas shopping duty for a few days!)
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with the Christmas thing, Adrian, we all have to do it. But see if you can get us the serial number of the engine and let us look a little maybe we can save you some money.
I'm a little on the dumb side when it comes to international shipping, but do you mean to tell me that I can't send you a small package directly to you federal express without duty ?
I'm going to check on that on this side with a shipping buddy of mine, in the meantime. Happy shopping !!!Leo
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, I have shipped internationally vis FEDEX. If you use the correct waybill the package usually gets there no problem. I can only think of 1 package that was held up and that was because it contained DVD's that had not been released in Europe yet. I had listed the title in the declaration area and customs held it up until the guy I was sending it to paid the duty on it
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,...... the serial number on the engine is unreadable, it seems to have worn out completely so I can't confirm which pump is the proper one, I shall have to try to contact the guy who sold it to me to see if he has any records (unlikely). I've put the original one back and so far although it's not ideal at least I can still occasionally fish!

Regarding sending stuff over, firstly, I'm grateful for the offers, apart from the shipping costs I would have to pay a 12% duty based on the value of the goods and the shipping charges! In any case this is an expensive time of year so the boat will have to take second place to the family, I shall see what's left once everyone has their gifts!! I shall keep you posted on any advances I make.... of course, I might just win the Christmas lottery.....!!!
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

The family comes first.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian, I'm in complete ageeement with John, and I think you ae taking our offers of help to mean RIGHT NOW and they aren't meant that way. Whenever you're ready is good enough for us .We are all involved in Christmas and for myself I'm involved in an even bigger mess, but when the time comes we'll all be glad to help you if we can.
for instance ,What if I say the contents of the box is only worth $20.00 will they take my word or do the dig into the worth more substantially than that.
Have a great Christmas and a Happy New year...Leo
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Leo, it's nice to know there are still some decent folk out there! It's getting harder and harder to find them!

I don't know what your bigger mess is but I hope you can sort it to your satisfaction!

Unfortunately customs here has cottoned on to items being given lower values and they have their own methods of adjusting them, often not in your favour! Still lets see how it goes. Right now the engine has worked ok the last couple of times I've used it. To be honest the weather right now isn't great so not a lot is happening!

I hope all you guys have a great and safe Christmas and lets hope the new year brings good stuff for everyone!
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

We will be there when you are ready. Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your family.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian, Hope your holiday was happy. As for customs, what if the declaration said the box contained used pump parts and not a new pump? Is the customs charge less?
rebait

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is funny how things appear out of nowhere. Last week the Vol. Fire Co that I belonged to aguired a boat. It is powered by a Volvo Penta DIESEL I/O. It looks identical to Adrian's, except that it is not a jack shaft and the water pickup is in the outdrive. It has been sitting for quite a while and nobody knows if it runs or if the power train is good. I am going to copy the engine numbers to see if they match Adrian's. Once we get it running, we will decide what we are going to do with it. If a power train replacement is called for and the pump and parts will fit Adrian's, he may have found his pot of gold. I will keep on top of this to make sure that this doesn't go for scrap before I can liberate any salvagable parts. I can't help it, it is the hot rodder in me.

John
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Yamaha intermittant overheating issue Reply with quote

Interesting! Hopefully the engine will be the same!

Here is an interesting one on overheating! Friend of mine has a Yamaha I/O that he has had in the water since April. He has had an overheating issue that has been getting worse! The engine is a GM350 freshwater cooled! The boat yard did all the usually things, impeller, pump, checked the oil cooler and heat exchanger etc. at times the engine ran normal and others it ran hot! So I was asked to take a look at it! Checked all the normal things! Everything looked OK! Still intermittent overheating and had me scratching my head!

One day my friend shows up totally discouraged with the boat on the trailer ready to burn it! Now for some reason the shifter was not shifting smoothly, totally unrelated to the over heating! So we start in on it! Checked the cables, the quadrant, pulled the drive and it shifted well! So we decided to break open the drive and take a look see! What we found was amazing! There were two 2 1/2 inch crabs living inside the case cavity! WOW these two crabs where floating around inside the drive case and occasionally blocking the raw water! How they got in there is beyond me! The intake passage is screened and the internal intake is only about 1 inch on either size to the case! I theorized that they must have gotten through the intake passage when they where very small and stay there since April! The drive was serviced for the winter so we know they were not there when the boat was commissioned. Oh the shifter turned out to be corrosion on the shifter fork in the gimble housing!

Now everything is fine! Funny how the simplest things can plug up the works!

Mike - Wink
leokow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, that was a good story,with a one in a million solution. Thanks for posting it.
Hopefully, we'll get as lucky with that boat that John has, just maybe it'll have the pump to end Adrian's problems.
rebait

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the engine cranking last night. When we get some time we are going to see if it runs. I had water hooked up to the intake and water came out of the discharge. Next time that I am over there I will copy the numbers down to see if they are the same. If we are going to replace it, I have first shot at the old unit. Will keep you informed of progress.

John
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again guys! Been a little busy of late, teenage daughter, two year old daughter and various commissions etc keeping me busy!!

I love the bit about the crabs, just goes to show, everything is possible!!! I don't think I have the same problem but I will certainly be on the "lookout" (bad pun intended), for any escaped beasties!

Unfortunately, it isn't going to be possible to get the engine number, the guy who sold it to me has no record of it, actually, it may even have been scratched out on purpose, or not, becoming a little cynical lately! He did say though that "The engines parts do not vary much." Yeah right! Anyway perhaps with the raw water pump he is right, so all I have is the model KAD 32 from 2001.

The problem of the overheating is still there, and I still think it may be two different things, to reiterate:

Occasionally the impeller cover will heat up, and when I remove the strainer cover which sits on top of and after the pump, I find that the water level has dropped to about half. I top it up, restart the engine quickly and usually from then on it's fine for the rest of the day.

The other problem is a little less common, but even more of a mystery; it starts the same as above with the cover getting hot but when I remove the strainer top hot water overflows from it, in other words it's coming backwards through the system. It's as if there is a blockage somewhere in the engine "cooling jacket", either a physical blockage or perhaps an air trap which compresses and then sends the water shooting back!

I have recently connected a water hose to all exit and entry points on both the raw and freshwater cooling systems and got very good flows every time so now I'm really confused, not hard to do at the moment but still...!

Anyway, hope you guys are all well, I'll be trying a few more things in the next few weeks so see what happens!!
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Too bad Gibraltar is so far away, I would love to get my hands on this one. I am starting to suspect the heat exchanger or maybe the riser. Where is this pressure coming from? I am going to study the engine on the Fire Co.'s boat. We are going to approach an area shop about what he recomends that we do with ours. I am going to probe his knowledge about these and ask him about Adrian's problem. If he recommends swappig out this diesel for a new package and we get funding, ( this boat will be used by the Fire Dept., EMS, Haz Mat and Drive Team), Adrian will have the parts that he needs, providing these are the same and servicable.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah John, I know what you mean. You just know if you can get your hands on , you could cure this thing...Frustrating isn't it.
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

How are you doing with the overheating problem? The Fire Co. boat seems to be on hold and it looks like it was sitting a long time. Let us know what you have found. I am very curious. Don't hesitate to tell us about your fishing and cruising adventures in Gilbraltar.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: