Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gibraltar fishing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Gibraltar fishing Reply with quote

just to let you know what we've been catching this summer, caught about 5 or 6 so far!

rebait

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

Tell us more about these fish. The proper name and if they have a common or nickname. How big they get and the tackle, bait or lures that you use and how plentiful they are. And whatever else you can tell us about them. Looking at the pictures they seem to be a real catch.

Tight Lines,

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you cook them? they look like they could produce some really nice fillets
acabedo
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Dentex Gibbosus, or as we call them locally sama bream, they grow up to about 45lbs and in depths ranging from 240 to 500ft. Apparently they are not that common and quite hard to catch so I feel quite pleased with myself! When young they have an extended dorsal fin which dissapears as they grow and is replaced (at least in the male) by what can become a huge and distinctive lump on the forhead.

I use an Ugly stick 20-50lb boat rod and the new Penn Torque 300 reel with 80lb braid and a top shot, the quick retrieve rate is brilliant for the depths.

Generally they are only caught with live bait, we use mackerel or squid, though dead squid if fresh is also very effective, I caught my first one like that.
Jigs, I'm told are also good though I find that particular method way too knackering (or maybe it's just me that's knackered)!

One interesting method I have been using lately is to upgrade the strength of my sabiki rigs, catch the mackerel and then leave the rig at the bottom, five or six struggling fish seem to attract more attention to your line, usually the sama will either get hooked with one of the hooks, or more likely will wrap the whole thing around itself. I've caught a few that way. Either way they are fantastic and powerful fighters, though as they approach the surface they tend to give up having suffered from decompression. (I've caught bonito and huge squid this way too)

They produce immense and succulent boneless fillets which you can cook in many ways, I like mine grilled with a little oil or butter, or in chunks in batter.
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian,

Thanks for sharing. I would love to hook into one of those.

Good Luck and Tight Lines,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: