Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diesels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich P
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Diesels Reply with quote

Anyone done the swap to diesels? Any info (espically in a 36') would be helpful.
-Rich
15' Boston Whaler 70 Yamaha
Yamaha GP760
Sunfish
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Diesels Reply with quote

I looked into it back a few years ago when I was tuna fishing commericially - basiclly the numbers worked out to be about 300 plus hours per season to break even - The conversion included tanks - Cummins 6cta engines transmissions shaft and prop conversions rebuild of the stringer mounts - and generator - fuel system. The tag at the time was about $80K - Found that I could buy allot of gasoline and gas engines for that amount - Due to the added weight performance would be marginally better -

IMHO - not worth the extra dollars - Oh yea it was on a 36'SF just like yours -

Mike - Sad
Rich P
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering this idea because I am looking for the extra range and fuel economy. Currently my center tank is off limits to fuel (rust through) and replacing the tanks means ripping the cockpit deck or taking out the engines and trying to go forward and then out. The deck is in perfect condition, so I am trying to avoid this. If the engines come out for the new tanks, it's a perfect time to do an engine swap as well. My boat was repowered in 86/87. Diesels were scrapped then due to the power to weight ratio, but that has to have improved since then.
The joys of owning a boat.
-Rich
15' Boston Whaler 70 Yamaha
Yamaha GP760
Sunfish
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: deisels Reply with quote

Rich -

That is not a good reason for deisel I have replaced my tanks and it is an fairly eazy job to remove the deck - besides when I had my starboard engine out I tried to pull the tank out thru the engine area it did not fit - took two weekends 4 days - the process is based on how you cut the deck out - here are some pictures -

The trick is to cut the deck out as one piece with the cut being on a 45 degree outside angle - that way when the deck goes back on gravity holds it in place - simple matter of fiberglassing the cut at the same thickness - pretty simple to do -

Tanks where made by Luthers in RI - see post in vendors area - Terry can also help as he just did his using this approach -

All hoses need to be replaced with USCG A1 ACHOL/GAS ones - the older versions were not approved for ethanol fuels.

I can talk you thru the process -

Mike - Smile
LostWolf
Swabby
Swabby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank removal Reply with quote

You mentioned that you had one engine out and couldnt remove the tanks through the engine compartments. looking at my boat i can see why this wouldnt let you take them out this way. I allready had both engines out and the tanks came out pretty easyly through the engine compartment. I dont know if my pacemaker is set up differently then yours but the tanks that came out of it were 18 x 18 x 72 inches. so before I decided to cut into the deck I would take a few mesurements and make sure they wont come out any other way.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike said, I also replaced my tanks this year on my 74 28foot sportfisher. I tried to remove the stbd tank with both engines out and could not get it to clear the stringers. On my boat, the tanks are mounted up under each side gunnel. They are held in place by metal bands and the stringers are curved up matching the curve of the tank. I cut the tops of the curves off because the tank would not fit between the tank stringer and the floor stringer. Following Mikes post about cutting the floor at a 45 degree angle allowed me to not only move my new tanks in easier, I put the port tank in all by myself. My tanks are 7 feet long and were made by Luthers as duplicates of the original galvanized tanks that were in the boat except again following Mikes advice, I had extra pickups installed in each tank.
Removing the flooring wasnt as hard as I thought, came out in one piece. Since it was cut at a 45 degree angle, to put it back in, all I had to due was bolt some marine plywood along the cut edge of the floor, then drop the cutout section back in place, bolt that to the plywood around the cutout and then install the supports back in place. I countersunk the bolt heads so that they could be covered and went a little overboard by fiberglassing underneath (messy job in a tight space!) To fill the seam along the cutout, I used an epoxy putty, which you mix with your hands and then press into the seam. I smoothed this putty with a putty knife, feathering out to blend it in with the old floor. I then applied by roller, new white gelcoat, though painting would do nicely also.
If my tanks were smaller, I could have gotten them out without cutting and saved myself a lot of work. In the end, you cant tell the floor was cut out and when you look at it you cant see except when the hatches are open the cut mark is still there since I didnt fill in the little valley around the hatches
Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Engines and drive train All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: