Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stripers in New haven

View previous topic :: View next topic  
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Stripers in New haven Reply with quote

The harbor temp is in the 60's and the stripers are in the harbor and rivers. I got a 20 lb striper on bloodworms off of the power station in new haven harbor on sat. the fish were tearing up a school of bunker off of my slip sat night and again on sunday, so if you're close, get out and get some it looks like the beginning of a bounty year for striper fishing
Terry
leokow

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is a change in tone when things are going right...LOL....Catch a couple for me
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont jinx me Leo LOL, I couldnt wait to fix the boat cause the fish are running and the weather is boating weather. I have to go on a business trip first week of June and I'm getting in what I can before I leave and before the gas prices go through the roof. Still havent changed the helm or controls, havent fixed the port starter, got the top up and the new step plates put on, but I want to just enjoy her for awhile, no more working on her.
Hows your back? you going to get your boat in?
rebait

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

I know what is like to get stuck working when the fish are hitting. I targeted weakfish this past weekend and had more blues than weakies. Good luck and show us all how to catch that BIG BASS.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, the blues are not here yet, just bunker (a whole lot of them) and the stripers. We're catching them in the rivers with blood worms and bunker. I'm surprised to see the big ones so early, but we had a warm winter and the sound heats up quickly with temps here in the 80's last week.
I got my striper with a blood worm just sitting on the bottom and drifting with the current. That night, thr big ones were in the river, but we couldnt get them to hit anything. they were going after the bunker and we couldnt snag any to use for bait. They wouldnt hit anything I had in my tackle box either so we just watched them chase the bunker right out of the water. I had for got how it felt to see the big fish shadow swim by under the water, what a rush feeling !!!
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you guys use leaded trebble hooks for snags ? Also the biggest stripers always seem to be caught on the heads. Stripers are lazy , (Like me) they lay under the blues and wait for them to bite the bunker in half and it's usually the head that falls to the bottom , and they get their meal without expending any energy. Seems like every year down here the biggest fish are caught on bunker heads. Give it a try, you'll like it.
As far as boats in the water and backs ...I'm on the wrong end of both of those subjects. I finished up Overdue and pushed a little too hard, while doing it and have a small crack in my sacroiliac, I guess that's how you spell it, anyway I'm down for a couple of weeks. I couldn't wait to get overdue done and all the parts where they were supposed to go so that I could start on the new boat and the time I saved by pushing Is now being spent in the recuperating chair, another week , at least. The x-rays showed that I didn't break any of the screws or things that were put in before , so that's good news, I just have to wait this thing out.
I need to put a shut off on the thru the hull for my washdown pump and paint the bottom twice and she'll be ready to go in, I think. The previous owner seems to have drilled the hole for the water supply a little too close to one of the inside stringers and there's no room to attach the ball-cock, so I think I'm going to fill the old hole and drill a new one a few inches over to give me enough room. I would never have driven that boat down from New York if I had know that a piece of hose was all that was between me and the bottom !! I trusted him, now I'm nervous about what else he didn't do !! Oh, well, we'll see soon enough.
Have a good trip and hopefullly by the time you get back I'll be down working on the new boat, I can't wait to get her back into the water again. should be just about the right time for the MAKO'S to be coming in!!
Enjoy your trip , Terry, I'll talk to you later....Leo
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, I use trebble hooks to try and snag bunkers for bait. We watch where the bunker are breaking the surface and then try and snag them with the trebble hooks. if we catch some, we then hook them and let them squirm around until a stripper hits. The bloodworms, we just let sit on he bottom while drifting. I'll have to ry and see if I can catch one with the head when I get back from Denver. For using the bunker as bait, I usually push a leader right through from the top coming out the bottom and then put the hook on the bottom and just let the bunker kind of flounder around in the water until it gets attached by a hungry stripper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: