Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanks for the polyglow conversation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fiberglass Pacemakers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the polyglow conversation Reply with quote

Hey guys, thank you very much for the polyglo conversation , my new boat really needs it especilaay from the rub rail down . I was wondering what to use as I was not satisfied with the results of the old way of buffing and wax as it never lasted very long and was a real buster to do. I followed along lurking behind your posts and got all my questions answered without asking a thing, thanks again.

Terry, what a beautiful weekend , finally, I put a little more gas in overdue and took her put for one last ride before the dismantling. WOW, she ran like never before(figures) 28mph across great bay at 3000 RPM and smooth as a whistle. It was so nice to get out on the boat after this miserably long winter and have it run so good.

I've talked to Shawn and he 's going to keep his boat and fix it so he still wants the engine and has asked me about the top, which is a nice move.
Overdue is in the marina now waiting to be pulled as soon as that happens I'll get to work pulling the helm and everything else, she still looks real nice sitting in that slip, I have to say , she wintered over in the water just fine, I'm curious to see what the bottom looks like though.

I think tomorrow if he hasn't pulled her yet I'm going to check out how Our Turn made it thru as far as the fuel concerns, sure hope I get as lucky as I did with Overdue. I'll let you know how things go. I guess you took your boat out this weekend, at least I hope you did, How did things go ? There hasn't been any chat on this site since the weekend , is everyone too tired to post ?

OK,everyone have a great week ....Leo
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You nailed it Leo, I saw that Friday was going to be real warm and told my boss I was taking a vacation day. Went down to the boat and cleaned out all of my junk I had stored there all winter and took her out for a shake down cruise. She ran real good, so I brought her back in to the slip and washed her down. Saturday, I took my son, his 2 friends and a friend of mine who had helped me work on the boat over the winter out fishing. We spent the whole day out, didnt catch a thing, didnt care either. It sure felt nice to just be able to go out on the water. We fired up the grill and cooked hot dogs and sausages. The sound wasnt flat, but the waves werent too bad, we all got a little sun and just had a good time. Sunday, I had to keep the piece with the admiral and ended up power washing the house and deck Sad instead of going out on the boat.
Got up this morning and really didnt feel like going to work, but the admiral blew work off saying she had a lot to do around the house. I knew if I took the day off, I'd be free slave labor for her, so I went to work. Now the weatherman says cool temps and rain coming back. All in all, the weekend was ok except I lost the table inside since it broke. Seems all of the years of rain that had leaked into her had taken a toll on the wood and she just let go at one of the hooks. Easy enough to make another one and not anywhere near as bad as everything else I had to do. I managed to get a matched set of Morse controls for the flybridge, kind of got them for a song. A guy was selling them on ebay and had them listed in the magazine literature section with a starting bid of 99 cents. I won the auction for $26.09 with $10.95 for shipping. Guy came through, shipped them the same day I paid him and I had them the next day since he lived in Mass. He even had left all of the cable clamps on. Some slight pitting and the knobs could use a good cleaning, but they're in much better shape than my old ones.
The polyglow will be a nice touch to improve the shine. Some say removing it is hard, but I bought the polyox cleaner they sell and it cleaned the changeofpace real nice. Check out the pictures I posted in the picture section, I didnt put any polyglow on the flybridge cowling since I want to fill in all of the old holes from past electrical mounts and such. Will have to get that done since the salt water will not be real good for the finish if I leave it unprotected for too long.
coming back to the slip friday, a clubmember came over to help dock the changeofpace and asked if he could come aboard and look around. While there I asked him why he wanted to look around since he had a newer boat than mine. he said he had seen me working on it and had heard from other members what I had done and wanted to see for himself. When I opened the engine hatches his mouth dropped open. seems he was more than a little shocked to see the twin 350's sitting there with their Holley 650's, aluminum intakes and chrome (painted chrome) valve covers. I started the engines and they were purring like a little kitten on your lap when your scratchin its head. He wanted to know what the top speed was and I couldnt tell him since I dont have a speedometer or gps. He told me that he had heard about me last year when I blew Mikes boat out of the water. I had forgotten all about that. I had posted here or the old site about it last year, seems like Mike hasnt forgotten and had mentioned it to this guy or others about how fast the boat was. I know she will jump when I hit the throttles, but I'm still breaking them in. Heck, I just got the new tachs and hour meters in this year, they read 6 hours and thats only from this past weekend. I figure they will be ok to run at WOT soon. I got to get over the nervous watching of the gages and just run them. I am still having some problems with the port engine starter. sometimes I hit the key and it starts right up, other times, I have to hit the key a couple of times before the starter turns. Maybe sometime during this week, I'll pull it and have it tested, and see if the teeth are riding on the flywheel right since I have checked all of the electrical and its fine.
Well, heres to another fun season of boating, tight lines and good times to everyone
Terry
leokow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a good weekend , Terry, They finally pulled Overdue yesterday afternoon, so now I can get started. Hey, By the way, nice deals you p[icked up this year , do you ever think of playing the lotto ? everytime I'm on looking for something all I find is Zilch ! My trans. control is hard as nails to move , I have to see if it's the cable or the control itself. If things go right I should have your helm out of the boat and be ready to get it to you.I looked yesterday afternoon just before it started raining and realized I had to remove the temporary fuel tanks that I put in so that I can get to it. The next time you get a chance e-mail me your address , OK ?
Nice feeling when they come over to your boat like that, isn't it? Really makes all the work pay off.
Something weird for you to ponder. Overdue is a 72 -28 as you already know, and Our Turn is a 74 -31. I went under to see what kind of shape the zincs were in and found the shafts on the new boat were only 1" and overdue has 1 1/4" shafts. Overdue is powered by 318's and the new one is 350's this does not make sense to me. Now I can't use my new shafts and props for spares like I thought I could.
Only thing I can think of doing is keep everything from the trans. back to the props and if anything happens change it all, and hope I never have to do it.. Ok , gotta get back to NJ, talk to you later....Leo
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, I have spent many many hours looking for the controls. I wasnt in any hurry last year, but I'm having a hard time finding neutral with the ones I have in my boat right now. I did a search in google for Morse controllers and found the ones on ebay listed in the literature section. I placed my bid and then watched for the next 6 days as no one bid. I started to realize the seller had them in the wrong place and if I was lucky I would get them for a song. I lost out on a few other sets of controllers since I set a max bid and didnt go back to check the auction. I would say, I probably bid on 6 or 7 different ones before I got this set.
With the camper top, I dont think it was luck as much as being nice to the right guy at the right time and in the right place. I still havent put in all on the boat yet and regret it everytime it rains.
I'm trying to decide if I want to replace my dinette table with wood or a fiberglass one. I see one on ebay pretty reasonable (uh oh, I just let everyone else know about it too!!!lol).
I'll send you an email with my address. Are you going to try and fix your deck by pumping in the resin from below and then placing weights on top like the siteb I showed you? or are you going to cut out and replace the bad areas? I found out that I have a leak coming in from the flybridge. Rain water seems to be collecting under the stbd passenger seat and then making its way down through the screw holes and into the boat. So if I'm lucky, then I think my luck ran out since the right way to fix this would be to lift the flybridge and seal the deck since just trying to sel the screw holes is a temp fix only
leokow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, honestly I haven't even thought about what to do with the new boat yet , I've been so busy since the weather broke trying to get overdue taken care of that I haven't had time to think about the other boat. Once I get caught up I'll try to figure out what to do. Right now it's always covered as it has the hardtop and the canvas and windows all around it, so no water ever hits the deck up there.
I have some gouges and things that are on the hull above the water line and below the rub rail that I have to take care of before it goes into the water. I found out that this boat has taken a couple of good hits along the port side, the gel cost is cracked fairly significantly from the rub rail radiating down about a good 12 inches or so ,I don't know just what to do about that yet. But I did order the poliglow products and once I fix the gouges I'm going to use that to clean it up some, hopefully that will do for this season, hell, I haven't even checked out the gas situation in the new boat yet , I still don't know what I'm facing there.
A little at a time and we'll get there,also I have to deal with that trans. control,it's even harder to move now,so it looks like I'm going to have to do something there. I'm going to try to bring over some of the parts to Shawn today, got rained out yesterday so I'm a little behind. Talk to you later ...Hope you have a great weekend....Leo
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, Lets hope the crack doesnt go all the way through to the fiberglass cloth or you will start sucking in water. When you het to it try buffing it out with some compound and see if it can be buffed out. if not, you're gonna have to grind it and the fill it with epoxy. If its not too bad, you might be able to just seal it with the poliglow since its a sealer. If you do have to fill it make sure the epoxy is made for below the waterline, dont use fairing compound as it will just fail and eventually fall out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Fiberglass Pacemakers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: