Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOW TO MAKE A PACEMAKER OWNER PROUD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebait

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: HOW TO MAKE A PACEMAKER OWNER PROUD Reply with quote

On my way home from work tonight, I received a compliment that is not only for me, but to all of us Pacemaker owners. A young couple bought a new house around the corner from me in the fall. Coming home from work last week I noticed a late model 25 / 26' well equiped center console next to the house. Tonight on my way home the owner was working on it, so I stopped to introduce myself and congratulate him on his boat. Much to my surprise he knew who I was. He stopped me and stated that his boat would never match my Wahoo for it's seaworthiness. He said that he saw my boat out in rough water and was impressed how it handles Barnegat Inlet. He explained to me that he had been boating with his family since he was a kid and his father and uncles always remarked how Pacemakers were great boats and how they wished that they owned one. Well, I made a new friend and I discovered that the next generation has respect for Pacemakers.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you probably looked like the cat that swallowed the canary for the rest of the nite. Nice going , John.
rebait

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

Like the Cheshire Cat. Now in retrospect he probably wanted to butter me up for fishing info. But he stopped by my house today as I was getting the 18' ready. He offered and gave a hand helping us wax it. He was amazed how quick it started up after the lay over. I shared with him my knowledge of the Bay and different techniques. He could not believe the number of fishing rods and how my wife encourages my sport. He wants to be part of the engine swap for the Wahoo. I guess I made a new friend.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today when I was launching the changeofpace, I had a guy come up and ask me what I had painted her with. When I told him that it was the original 33 year old gelcoat, he couldnt believe it. My thanks goes out to the polyglow people, there stuff really works well and the shine lasts all season. The gelcoat on my boat really shines better than a lot of the newer boats in the club
rebait

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results from polyglow speak for themself. I am probably going to try it on my 18' center console ( 1980 vintage ) this year and the Wahoo next season. Both are in excellent shape but it would not hurt. If I am not "fishing for fish, I may as well fish for compliments", right Leo?

John
leokow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy nothing wrong with fishing for compliments, I think that's what kept me working on overdue for the past 12 years. Everytime I started to get disgusted someone would come along and make me feel like I was the luckiest guy on the lagoon to have what I had, and off I'd go doing more to her,and last year I certainly got alot more compliments than I did fish !
Terrible fishing season for me, for some reason, haven't figured it out yet.
Sure not hoping for a repeat this year, on the fishing part at least, we'll see what kind of reaction Our Turn brings from the neighbors. It's funny , my next door friend has a 34 searay, that's gorgeous, and on Sunday a new neighbor moved in about 5 doors down the lagoon and he pulls up in a brand new 38 searay ! Both of these boats just came from the dealership where they spent the winter and are all waxed up and looking like new dimes. By the afternoon there they were standing on my dock admiring Overdue which had just spent the entire winter right where she is in the water. Now I looked like the Cheshire cat ! It's just amazing , they spend more on gas for the season than my boat is worth yet the whole conversation was about a 35 year old pace. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I'm telling you it's gonna break my heart to cut this boat up next week, I hope I can get the new one to look half as good. I know it will let me do a lot more things than the old one was able too. Just waiting for this lousy weather to give me a break so I can get started.
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, I can really relate to what you're going through. There were many times when I want to just sell the changeofpace and get a bigger boat. Problem is I know what I got even though she's 33 years old. even with her little problems that keep popping up, she still rides nice and turns heads when I go by. The throttles and tranny controlers are acting up, too much slop in them. I managed to get a matched set of morse controllers, forgot you might have had them.
What do you have left to do before you cut her up? Almost seems as if you need to have a memorial service for her before you do LOL!!!
Anyway, at least you got another Pace to replace the Overdue. Many new times are waiting ahead for you and Our Turn
Terry
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'll take character over glitz anyday, let alone durabuility. From what I've learned the older hull's really cant be beat when properly taken care of. I understand they were made alot thicker as well. I get nervous on today's glass boat's.I would surely go with a late model though IF I were to ever make the switch.

Cant remember who coined it and I love it, melted cheese wedge, say's it all. Most of today's model's look so similar it's hard to distinguish what make your looking at.Same could be said about the 60's era flushdeck's I guess. But even then anyone can see the subtle difference's.

Leo's absolutly right with the frustration instantly turned to pride thing. I cannot describe how it feel's to have a group of older gentlemen drooling over my boat. Everytime we hit the gas dock here they come, Is it your's, what year is she, finger pointing, I stand there in awe of these guy's and their freakin out on me. There are alot of Carver, Chris', and a few other older name's around but a big ole wooden Pace is a rare critter here.
rebait

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is when the guy with a 2 year old boat asked me what year the Wahoo was and the look on his face when I said that it was a 1978. (I don't think he knows what soap and wax are.) He asked me how I keep both of my boats looking good ( in a wise guy way ). I told him pride and elbow grease. I don't know of any self cleaning boats. The forecast for the coming weekend is supposed to be nice. Because of this storm I am working. I wish everyone the best and all of your projects go smooth.

John
leokow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK Terry, no memorial service for Overdue, she gave me plenty of good times but now her days are numbered, who knows, when I'm doing this I might even get some enjoyment out of it when I think back on some of the headaches she gave me !LOL It won't take long to get the new boat into shape, it needs a little TLC and it'll look just fine, besides it already runs terriffic so all I'll have to concentrate on is getting her looking the way I want her too. Plus I'll feel a lot more comfortable spending the night out on the ocen in the new boat. Seems funny calling a 33 year old boat new, but to me she is. Have a great weekend you guys it's supposed to be beautiful and it's about time !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boating in General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: