Pacemaker Boats Forum Index Pacemaker Boats
Information exchange on Pacemaker/Aglas Boats

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

putting on a swim platform

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boat Restoration - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: putting on a swim platform Reply with quote

OK, I will be doing this in the next few days. To make sure the holes for the mounting bolts dont leak, I'm going to drill the holes bigger than the size needed, then fill them in with water weld, an epoxy putty which you mix by hand and then fill in the holes. This stuff cures in about 4 hours. Next I'll drill out the right size hole for the mounting bolts and mount them using 3M 5200 sealant. My problem is that for the 2 outer angle brackets, I cant reach the backside to put on and hold the nut with a wrench to tighten.
My question is has anyone ever used anchor bolts to mount the swim platform brackets, and what are the postitive and negatives if they are used?
Terry
merwin10
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry you are on the right track with drilling larger holes then redrilling them - Dont forget to seal the fiberglass against seepage - I would not recommend 3M5200 that stuff sticks and hardens and it is a bitch to remove - It is great if you never want to remove something if you do it most likely will take the gel coat with it - It is hard to believe that something sticks that well it actual froms a tighter bond than the gel coat does - Try 3M4200 stay soft seals well and comes off with moderate work -

I don't know about anchor bolts just from the principle a anchor bolt expands in the medium it is in - that is ok for concrete but fiberglass I don't know - I think I would use a large (1/2") hole with a invese slot at 0 - 90 - 180 - 270 degrees that is gouge out to 1" towards the inside Roto zip works well for this - You sort of want a cylinder with fins on the inside - think missle or rocket - Then fill it in with high density fiber and epoxy - clean it up gel coat it - Then drill and tap threads into it - seal up with 3M4200 - What do you think?

Mike - Rolling Eyes thinking

Mike - Wink
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike the anchor bolts I was thinking about were the ones that you push all the way through and they are spring loaded. When they open up they form a kind of backing plate with the nut inside the middle. I have used these in cinder blocks to mount equipment and have stood on them. I dont like the expanding kind because they will damage the area around them whem they expand. The problem with the first kind is the hole has to be bigger than the bolt to get the anchor through, Thats why I was thinking about the 5200 because it was more permanent than the 4200
Terry
rebait

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

I believe that type of anchor is called a toggle bolt. The way you described mounting the platform should be fine. A number of years ago I mounted steps on a fiberglass truck body with no access to tighten the nuts. I used toggle bolts and they lasted untill the truck went to the auction, so the vehicle was in service for 10 to 15 years if not longer. I am sure the body was not as thick as the boat.

John
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, I'm not sure the swim platform will make it on before I go in the water next week. It might become a fall project instead. I still hve the ladder that hags over the side, so my son and his friends can get in the boat while swimming. I kind of wanted it on so that bringing in fish would be a little easier if I could step over onto the platform and be closer to the water. I can always store the platform in my shed out of the way. I have a lot of work to do in the next 3 days. Paint the bottom, scrub the hull, and put in the through hull transducer for the new depth sounder. If those can get done, the boat will go in Tuesday latest.
Rob
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, I dont know if you will get the platform on or not, but if you do get to work on it, why dont you install the threaded half of a sex bolt onto the inside of the bilge with some 5200 or what ever you decide. I dont think that I would use a toggle bolt for that application. I dont think that the metal that they use on the spring loaded part of the bolt is near strong enough for what you're trying to do. If you notice, when you purchase the toggle bolts, they come with a slotted head bolt, I think if you used something that you could put a wrench on you could crush the expanding part. I would think after time with the vibration from the engines and all of the other action that the platform will see that the bolts will start to move and stretch out your holes. You could even use a fender washer on the half of the sex bolt if you wanted to. Just a thought. Rob
changeofpace
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thoughts Rob, I was thinking the way they mounted would eliminate the problem, but the fatc that they would be in a very wet enviroment meant that they might rust real fast, so I think I'm going to hold off putting it on this year. Boats are going into the water starting tomorrow and the guy behind me told me today that he is going in next sat. If I dont go in and the club has to move my boat it costs me $50. Right now all I got left to do is paint the bottom and replace one positive cable. I spent the day with my son giving the old girl a good scrubdown with the poly oxidation cleaner and will put on a fresh coat of polyglow sunday
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pacemaker Boats Forum Index -> Boat Restoration - General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: